What does "taking time off during undergrad" mean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Preserves

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For many of the secondaries, they asked if I took time off during my undergraduate years or something similar. I was wondering if studying abroad for a summer ( 2 months) in a foreign country counted as "taking time off" because it would be a great thing to mention and include to show more cultural diversity on the secondaries.

I tried looking through SDN, but didnt find an adequate answer.

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

For many of the secondaries, they asked if I took time off during my undergraduate years or something similar. I was wondering if studying abroad for a summer ( 2 months) in a foreign country counted as "taking time off" because it would be a great thing to mention and include to show more cultural diversity on the secondaries.

I tried looking through SDN, but didnt find an adequate answer.

Thanks guys!

No, it wouldn't be considered as taking time off because normally, students don't take classes over the summer. Time off would mean anything that is at least one semester or quarter (not including summer) long.

Yep, even studying abroad during the fall/winter wouldn't count as an academic gap. Save that for your AMCAS activities section (that is, if you haven't submitted it yet).