What does the 2015 MCAT mean for the Class of '15???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

genessis42

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently going to be graduating from college in 2015, ia, and I was wondering how the 2015 MCAT would affect it.

For example, if someone was to apply in Fall 2014 to matriculate in 2015, they would have to take the older one.
But what if someone ends up taking a gap year or something?

I know that MCAT scores can last up to 3 years, but how long would the old format score last before med schools only accept the 2015 one???
Would there be some kind of transition period where Med schools accept both the old & new format MCAT scores?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, they are going to have to. The search function shows a couple of threads where this has been discussed.
All in all you are going to be competing against someone that has taken the old MCAT. I believe since they do not have a good gauge on how competitive the new MCAT scores are they will base it more off of percentile. Hopefully there won't be too much biased adcoms.
It is a difficult situation if you ha e 2 candidates with a 3.7 and one has a 33 old which is obviously competitive and the other has 56... There is not enough history behind the newer numbers so it would have to be percentile base the first couple years..

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app please excuse punctuation and spelling