What does the ACGME/AOA merger mean for future IMGs/FMGs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dolphin4real

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is a lot of talk about this on the MD forums but I’m interested to know other members thoughts on how the merger will impact International graduates chances of matching in the US post 2020. Especially wanting to hear from those that are already abroad and looking to match after the merger.

There is a lot of information in the air right now which is confusing to say the least. My guess is that no one really knows what will happen exactly - either way I’d like to hear opinions how how our chances may be affected in a few years.

Members don't see this ad.

There is a lot of talk about this on the MD forums but I’m interested to know other members thoughts on how the merger will impact International graduates chances of matching in the US post 2020. Especially wanting to hear from those that are already abroad and looking to match after the merger.

There is a lot of information in the air right now which is confusing to say the least. My guess is that no one really knows what will happen exactly - either way I’d like to hear opinions how how our chances may be affected in a few years.
Increase amount of applicants for limited spots with no safety net for Dos.

Increase amount of applicants for limited spots with no safety net for Dos.

Correct.

It will not affect U.S. IMGs or "true" IMGs very much, except the previously protected AOA spots will now be open to them too.

-Skip