What else can I do to prepare??? Soon to be Junior...

SoccerMD12

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2006
74
0
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello,

I'm just wondering what are the weak-points / areas of improvement for my medical school application? I'm only going to be a Junior... so I still have a year to improve things! I really appreciate any help as this process is truly a royal pain in the...

College: Purdue University
Major: Neurobiology and Physiology
Minors: Philosophy and Religious Studies
Overall GPA: 4.00

Extracirriculars:
1) Academics: Dean's List (every semester)
2) Academic Awards: ALDPES Nat'l Honor Society, Nat'l Dean's List, Nat'l Scholars Honor Society, Dean's Scholarship, Academic Success Award
3) Research: Molecular Bio Lab w/ Tumor Suppressor Genes (1/2yr:11hrs/week)
4) Research/Intern: NASA Nanotechnology Research Internship (Summer:40hrs/week)
5) Extra: Joshua House Christian Fellowship [Co-Op housing] (3yrs:life)
6) Extra: PU Christian Campus House Care Group +Leader (3yrs:3hrs/week)
7) Extra: Intramural Soccer +Captain (2yrs:2hrs/week)
8) Volunteering: U-14 Soccer Coach (4mths:8hrs/week)
9) Volunteering: Big Brother (1yr:3hrs/week)
10) Volunteering: Caregiver Companion (1yr:3hrs/week)
11) Volunteering: Home Hospital Pharmacy (Summer:3hrs/week)
12) Volunteering: Mission Work (Jamaica, Mexico, Louisiana)

To be completed Junior year (hopefully)...
13) Extra: Physician Job Shadowing (1yrs:2hr/week)
14) Volunteering: Ombudsman/Nursing Home (1yr:3hrs/week)
15) Research: Summer Research 2007... TBA


I'd definately appreciate any guidance! :)
Also, I plan on taking the MCAT in April and on using Kaplan/ExamKrackers...

Thanks!
Michael
 
About the Ads

MD-To Be

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2006
100
0
Dayton, Ohio
www.adorationprophet.com
Status
Pre-Medical
michaeltoole said:
Hello,

I'm just wondering what are the weak-points / areas of improvement for my medical school application? I'm only going to be a Junior... so I still have a year to improve things! I really appreciate any help as this process is truly a royal pain in the...

College: Purdue University
Major: Neurobiology and Physiology
Minors: Philosophy and Religious Studies
Overall GPA: 4.00

Extracirriculars:
1) Academics: Dean's List (every semester)
2) Academic Awards: ALDPES Nat'l Honor Society, Nat'l Dean's List, Nat'l Scholars Honor Society, Dean's Scholarship, Academic Success Award
3) Research: Molecular Bio Lab w/ Tumor Suppressor Genes (1/2yr:11hrs/week)
4) Research/Intern: NASA Nanotechnology Research Internship (Summer:40hrs/week)
5) Extra: Joshua House Christian Fellowship [Co-Op housing] (3yrs:life)
6) Extra: PU Christian Campus House Care Group +Leader (3yrs:3hrs/week)
7) Extra: Intramural Soccer +Captain (2yrs:2hrs/week)
8) Volunteering: U-14 Soccer Coach (4mths:8hrs/week)
9) Volunteering: Big Brother (1yr:3hrs/week)
10) Volunteering: Caregiver Companion (1yr:3hrs/week)
11) Volunteering: Home Hospital Pharmacy (Summer:3hrs/week)
12) Volunteering: Mission Work (Jamaica, Mexico, Louisiana)

To be completed Junior year (hopefully)...
13) Extra: Physician Job Shadowing (1yrs:2hr/week)
14) Volunteering: Ombudsman/Nursing Home (1yr:3hrs/week)
15) Research: Summer Research 2007... TBA


I'd definately appreciate any guidance! :)
Also, I plan on taking the MCAT in April and on using Kaplan/ExamKrackers...

Thanks!
Michael
Nail the MCAT and youre in
 
OP
S

SoccerMD12

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2006
74
0
Status
Pre-Medical
thanks for your comments!

any others would really be appreciated
 

Virgil

Hi hi!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2005
655
0
Status
Pre-Medical
Would someone give this man the pat on the back he came here looking for?
 
OP
S

SoccerMD12

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2006
74
0
Status
Pre-Medical
Ohhh... don't by so cynical... I actually was looking for advice.

My main question was concerning my lack of clinical experience. I don't really have much direct patient contact or much with doctors. I did volunteer in a hospital... but it was just the pharmacy (so little patient contact). Other than that I was hoping to do some next year, but am not really sure where/how to do it (the volunteering coordinator at the nearby hospital is well... not that good). How do you get in contact with a doctor to shadow? Also, how often do you do this (is it a short or longer term type thing)? Any other advice on other types / how to get clinical experience would be appreciated.

So any constructive advice on this would be appreciated...
 

braluk

SDN Surgerynator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2006
11,826
57
The Big Easy
Status
Medical Student
you have plenty of research to back up whatever lack of clinical activity you need (its not even a req to admission anyway)
 

Ambs

Sleeping is underrated!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2004
959
2
Status
Medical Student
braluk said:
you have plenty of research to back up whatever lack of clinical activity you need (its not even a req to admission anyway)
Not true. Clinical is a must-have.
 

Ambs

Sleeping is underrated!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2004
959
2
Status
Medical Student
Robizzle said:
a must have that he already has some of.
I saw that; I was just replying to the poster who said that research can make up for a lack of clinical experience. Unless he plans on applying to the MD/PhD/MSTP route, I'd say he shouldn't bother with the "research summer 2007 TBA" and maybe get employment in a clinic or hospital as some kind of tech that summer.
 

MedStudentWanna

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2006
1,993
9
Status
michaeltoole said:
Ohhh... don't by so cynical... I actually was looking for advice.

My main question was concerning my lack of clinical experience. I don't really have much direct patient contact or much with doctors. I did volunteer in a hospital... but it was just the pharmacy (so little patient contact). Other than that I was hoping to do some next year, but am not really sure where/how to do it (the volunteering coordinator at the nearby hospital is well... not that good). How do you get in contact with a doctor to shadow? Also, how often do you do this (is it a short or longer term type thing)? Any other advice on other types / how to get clinical experience would be appreciated.

So any constructive advice on this would be appreciated...
Well, I don't believe you were actually asking for constructive advice on your clinical experience because if you were, you would have specifically asked in your first post or at least in your second one. Plus, you have shadowing a physician listed as something you have planned this year, so why wouldn't you have just asked how to do it instead of just listing it as if you already know what you're doing?

Anyway, the answer to the question is you pick up the phone book and call doctors and ask them if they allow pre-meds to shadow them. Simple.
 

WantsThisBad

Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2006
227
0
Status
Pre-Medical
michaeltoole said:
Hello,

I'm just wondering what are the weak-points / areas of improvement for my medical school application? I'm only going to be a Junior... so I still have a year to improve things! I really appreciate any help as this process is truly a royal pain in the...

College: Purdue University
Major: Neurobiology and Physiology
Minors: Philosophy and Religious Studies
Overall GPA: 4.00

Extracirriculars:
1) Academics: Dean's List (every semester)
2) Academic Awards: ALDPES Nat'l Honor Society, Nat'l Dean's List, Nat'l Scholars Honor Society, Dean's Scholarship, Academic Success Award
3) Research: Molecular Bio Lab w/ Tumor Suppressor Genes (1/2yr:11hrs/week)
4) Research/Intern: NASA Nanotechnology Research Internship (Summer:40hrs/week)
5) Extra: Joshua House Christian Fellowship [Co-Op housing] (3yrs:life)
6) Extra: PU Christian Campus House Care Group +Leader (3yrs:3hrs/week)
7) Extra: Intramural Soccer +Captain (2yrs:2hrs/week)
8) Volunteering: U-14 Soccer Coach (4mths:8hrs/week)
9) Volunteering: Big Brother (1yr:3hrs/week)
10) Volunteering: Caregiver Companion (1yr:3hrs/week)
11) Volunteering: Home Hospital Pharmacy (Summer:3hrs/week)
12) Volunteering: Mission Work (Jamaica, Mexico, Louisiana)

To be completed Junior year (hopefully)...
13) Extra: Physician Job Shadowing (1yrs:2hr/week)
14) Volunteering: Ombudsman/Nursing Home (1yr:3hrs/week)
15) Research: Summer Research 2007... TBA


I'd definately appreciate any guidance! :)
Also, I plan on taking the MCAT in April and on using Kaplan/ExamKrackers...

Thanks!
Michael

Continue Getting good grades.
 

blackle

10+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2005
62
1
Status
Medical Student
I think you need more things that have nothing to do with medicine or loving god. Your religious activities are fine but not really standout, and the soccer thing is cool but pretty short term... do you have any interests that are really random (i.e. art, writing, something...?) that you could get more involved with? Not only would it look good on your app, but probably be good for you in general.

I have to be honest, your list was pretty good but to me it was boring.
 

doctor0125

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2006
119
0
Status
Medical Student
get some more leadership and tell the your team there going to loose in South Bend
 

akademiks1989

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2006
580
33
Status
Medical Student
Very solid IMO. I'd say if you have a great junior year, which you probably will and a great MCAT, you could start picking your schools. You might want to work on your personality though. ;)
 
About the Ads