What else can I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SarahBellum1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm currently a junior in college, neuroscience major, and I hope to attend a TX med school (as I am a TX resident). I think my top choice/my best bet is UTHSC in San Antonio, where I've been told that they look more beyond your grades compared to most other schools.

I'm pretty worried about being accepted, and rightfully so. As of right now, I know my GPA is not at a competitive level whatsoever. My current cGPA is about 3.16 (not good) and my sGPA is 3.03 (even worse). However, my cGPA is graded on the +/- system (where I've learned med school takes away the +'s and -'s?) and does not include 7 hours of all A's from summer school nor 16 hours of (probably) all A's from a semester studying abroad. After taking all of these into consideration, I hope to have around a 3.4 cGPA before my senior year. I will be taking the MCAT this coming spring, so you might not have much to offer on what my chances are of getting in without a score...But what do you think would be the minimum score on the MCAT that would make up for my lack in GPA? (Assuming that I can even make up for it at all...)

ECs:
-very active in my church back home: I help lead junior high and high school retreats several times a year. volunteer at vacation bible school. help with church summer programs for young kids. food drives, serve food to homeless, etc. (200+ hours)
-have been on my university's varsity tennis team since freshman year
-have been greatly involved with a christian youth group on campus since freshman year
-I've played violin and piano for about 12 years
-a member of AMSA
-member of neuroscience club
-volunteer with Best Buddies
-minimal hospital volunteering (<10 hrs so far, but that should change)
-have observed several surgeries
-minimal shadowing (making rounds at hospital w/an internist, ~10 hrs)
-volunteer at a hospice, where I would visit with one particular patient (~10 hrs so far)
-currently studying abroad for the semester in New Zealand
-went on a medical volunteer trip for 2 weeks to Costa Rica and Nicaragua, stayed with families there. held 8 clinics, where I had very hands-on experience: assisted in female clinic, administered tetanus shots, glucose testing, urinalysis, took vitals/general physical examination, patient history, helped run a pharmacy, visited with patients. (2 weeks total, with about 50 clinical hours) Also, I am not fluent in Spanish, but I know enough to hold fairly lengthy conversations, ask medical history, and understand what the patient is telling me about what is wrong (for the most part).

When I return from studying abroad, I have 2 months to shadow doctors and volunteer and study for the MCAT. Also, I hope to do research with a professor over the next summer. I also have several good references. What else can I do to improve my resume to possibly help me stand out?? Since my GPA is pretty terrible (I know I can retake classes, but I don't really have time to do that until after my senior year, if I'm not accepted to med school on first try, which is what it is looking like)...

Any input/advice is greatly appreciated; I can take the heat!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I'm currently a junior in college, neuroscience major, and I hope to attend a TX med school (as I am a TX resident). I think my top choice/my best bet is UTHSC in San Antonio, where I've been told that they look more beyond your grades compared to most other schools.

I'm pretty worried about being accepted, and rightfully so. As of right now, I know my GPA is not at a competitive level whatsoever. My current cGPA is about 3.16 (not good) and my sGPA is 3.03 (even worse). However, my cGPA is graded on the +/- system (where I've learned med school takes away the +'s and -'s?) and does not include 7 hours of all A's from summer school nor 16 hours of (probably) all A's from a semester studying abroad. After taking all of these into consideration, I hope to have around a 3.4 cGPA before my senior year. I will be taking the MCAT this coming spring, so you might not have much to offer on what my chances are of getting in without a score...But what do you think would be the minimum score on the MCAT that would make up for my lack in GPA? (Assuming that I can even make up for it at all...)

ECs:
-very active in my church back home: I help lead junior high and high school retreats several times a year. volunteer at vacation bible school. help with church summer programs for young kids. food drives, serve food to homeless, etc. (200+ hours)
-have been on my university's varsity tennis team since freshman year
-have been greatly involved with a christian youth group on campus since freshman year
-I've played violin and piano for about 12 years
-a member of AMSA
-member of neuroscience club
-volunteer with Best Buddies
-minimal hospital volunteering (<10 hrs so far, but that should change)
-have observed several surgeries
-minimal shadowing (making rounds at hospital w/an internist, ~10 hrs)
-volunteer at a hospice, where I would visit with one particular patient (~10 hrs so far)
-currently studying abroad for the semester in New Zealand
-went on a medical volunteer trip for 2 weeks to Costa Rica and Nicaragua, stayed with families there. held 8 clinics, where I had very hands-on experience: performed 3 pap smears, administered tetanus injections, glucose testing, urinalysis, took vitals/general physical examination, patient history, helped run a pharmacy, visited with patients. (2 weeks total, with about 50 clinical hours) Also, I am not fluent in Spanish, but I know enough to hold fairly lengthy conversations, ask medical history, and understand what the patient is telling me about what is wrong (for the most part).

When I return from studying abroad, I have 2 months to shadow doctors and volunteer and study for the MCAT. Also, I hope to do research with a professor over the next summer. I also have several good references. What else can I do to improve my resume to possibly help me stand out?? Since my GPA is pretty terrible (I know I can retake classes, but I don't really have time to do that until after my senior year, if I'm not accepted to med school on first try, which is what it is looking like)...

Any input/advice is greatly appreciated; I can take the heat!

1. Do really well on the MCAT (I know, easier said than done, but you need to offset the low GPA)- try for 32+
2. Calculate your true GPA including all the A's.
3. You said you've observed several surgeries, but have minimal shadowing :confused:. How did you observe surgeries and could you not include that as shadowing surgeons?
4. Volunteer a lot more than you have (hospital and hospice)- need ~100-150 hours I guess, but spread it out so as not to overload your schedule
5. Make A's your senior year
6. You need to have some kind of leadership experience- become an officer of neuroscience club maybe?
7. Teaching experience? You could be a TA.
8. Unless you're truly interested in research, I wouldn't recommend you start it next semester. You won't get much done in that short of a time. Focus on the stuff above.
9. Ever had a job? Were you ever promoted to a supervisor/management position etc.?

I would discourage you from applying in summer 2011 and wasting your money. You need a lot more GPA repair. You need a lot more US clinical experience and US physician shadowing, and it won't look good if you cram it all into the next 9 months (actually less, as you're abroad right now, but I encourage you to continue in whatever clinical environments you can experience while in New Zealand). If you start a research experience next summer, it won't be on your application if you apply at the optimal time (and if you wait to apply until the end of the summer, your application will automatically be at a disadvantage due to the lateness of the cycle).

Rushing the MCAT is a terrible idea. better to spend next summer studying for it thoroughly, and then taking it.

You have a lot of very positive things going for you. You have substantive entries for Intercollegiate Sports and Artistic Endeavors. Your nonmedical community service is superb. An ability to communicate in medical Spanish is excellent.

Clubs don't help you except as a stepping stone to a leadership role or to gain volunteer activities.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would like to resurrect this thread back from the dead and update it a bit, as I have put in much more serious thought and research into applying to med school since.

As stated before, I am very aware that both my sGPA and cGPAs are sub-par. However, I calculated them both by removing the +'s and -'s and figuring in my summer school and study abroad grades. I have come up with my cGPA as 3.378 and my BCPM GPA as 3.089 (3.146 if the school counts Neuroscience in the sGPA). Each semester, I have been obtaining more A's than the previous semester. With some newfound motivation and a correction in my study habits, I believe I can get mostly A's for the rest of my undergrad. If I get all A's this coming semester, it would bring my cGPA up to 3.474 and sGPA to 3.226 (3.281 with neuro). Though with the upcoming intense spring tennis season, I hope I can actually make this happen! One specific goal of mine is to get an A in Biochemistry in my senior year to show that I can handle an intense chemistry course within a rigorous schedule and that I do have the intellectual capacity to succeed in medical school, since my grades thus far have not exactly evidenced this.

I have been contacting hospitals in my area to volunteer during the summer, hopefully 1-2 times per week for 3 months. I am hoping to volunteer at a hospital near my university throughout the semester when I don't have tennis. I am shadowing an anesthesiologist next week and observing surgeries then. I tried shadowing doctors/volunteering at a hospital/retirement home while in NZ, but the hospitals turned me down (because I was there for too short of a time period). I did work on a restoration project on an island by planting trees while I was there and I also stayed on an organic farm for 4 days to help an elderly woman tend to her 8 acre farm. [Would this count as volunteering, since I was given accommodation/meals in return for farm work?]

I decided to put off applying for medical school until after my senior year so as to enter in 2013. That way I can focus on studying for the MCAT this coming summer 2011. I'll be taking a prep-course, then take the MCAT at the end of the summer/early fall. Also, putting med school off for a year will give me a bit more time for GPA repair. I will also be taking a 1 hour chemistry lab during the summer. This, along with hospital volunteering, wouldn't take away too much from my MCAT preparation, do you think? I took a Kaplan practice MCAT a few weeks ago with absolutely no studying and without ever being exposed to the format of the exam. I received a balanced 22. (Which I thought wasn't TOO bad considering I hadn't studied and that Kaplan is known to "deflate" scores??) I know that I should shoot for 30+. I have been re-teaching myself organic chemistry during the break, as well (since I got a C and C+ in ochem I and II, respectively, I thought it was very necessary. I believe that I am really understanding it now, and I am pretty mad at myself for not doing better in the classes. I simply just did not give the classes near enough of my time).

I am also beginning research (maybe next semester, but most likely Fall 2011, so at the very least I would have 1 academic year of research) at my school on the effects of sex steroids in the repair/damage of astroglia in oxidative stress, particularly in Parkinson's disease. The professor that I will be working with is the Neuroscience chair and also works for one of the medical schools that I would apply to. I know that it was advised earlier not to do research this late in the game for such a short amount of time, but it is actually required for my major.

I've already began writing down ideas for my personal statement and hope to have a first rough draft done before winter break is over. I've also began preparing for interview questions.

I don't really have any teaching experience, (other than helping my little sister with her calculus and physics homework, haha) though. My high school bio teacher was supposed to hook me up with a student to tutor in AP Bio during the break, but that fell through... :-\ I don't have time to TA or anything like that... Will it look really bad if I don't have any "true" teaching experience?

I have also only had one job in my life (sad? maybe...). I worked from Aug 2007- Aug 2008 Right before my senior year of high school and throughout the summer after I graduated until I left for college. I worked for a party place that has rooms of inflatables. I would occasionally attend to the parties to make sure that the kids (and sometimes adults! :) ) didn't break themselves. (I did have to call an ambulance for a 40 year old guy who pulled his hip or something bouncing around, hah) But my official job was "supervisor." I sat at the desk to answer phones, book parties, answer questions, call to confirm bookings, work the cash register, distribute tips, check in parties, order food/drinks/balloons etc for the parties, deal with very stressed party parents and overly excited (and sometimes screaming and puking) children. Is this relevant to put into my med school app, since I really only did it during high school and the summer prior to college?

Also, I no longer am competitive in violin/piano. I never really played in any contests for piano, but I have played for a long time and still play in my free time. I was in elementary/junior high/high school orchestra and played in contests through the school, but I don't play in college. Would these now only count as hobbies, since I am no longer competitive/am not part of a musical group/ensemble?

After considering all I just mentioned, do you think think I could make my application strong enough by the time I apply in 2012 for EY2013? Advice/Comments??? Thanks!!

Wow, that was long. Sorry! Much thanks to those who actually read it all :)

Last edited:
1) I did work on a restoration project on an island by planting trees while I was there and I also stayed on an organic farm for 4 days to help an elderly woman tend to her 8 acre farm. [Would this count as volunteering, since I was given accommodation/meals in return for farm work?]

2) I decided to put off applying for medical school until after my senior year so as to enter in 2013. That way I can focus on studying for the MCAT this coming summer 2011. This, along with hospital volunteering, wouldn't take away too much from my MCAT preparation, do you think?

3)Will it look really bad if I don't have any "true" teaching experience?

4) Is this relevant to put into my med school app, since I really only did it during high school and the summer prior to college?

5) Also, I no longer am competitive in violin/piano. I never really played in any contests for piano, but I have played for a long time and still play in my free time. I was in elementary/junior high/high school orchestra and played in contests through the school, but I don't play in college. Would these now only count as hobbies, since I am no longer competitive/am not part of a musical group/ensemble?
I like your plan as it is much more likely to result in a viable application in the timeframe mentioned.
1) Yes, but very short-term. Maybe you could group it with other short-term community service.

2) This sounds doable.

3) You'll be fine without teaching.

4) The summer after HS graduation is considered part of the college years, so it's OK to list.

5) If you never performed for others since college began, list it as a hobby. If you have, I'd put it under artistic endeavor (or the TMDSAS equivalent).

I like your plan as it is much more likely to result in a viable application in the timeframe mentioned.
1) Yes, but very short-term. Maybe you could group it with other short-term community service.

2) This sounds doable.

3) You'll be fine without teaching.

4) The summer after HS graduation is considered part of the college years, so it's OK to list.

5) If you never performed for others since college began, list it as a hobby. If you have, I'd put it under artistic endeavor (or the TMDSAS equivalent).

Thanks!

Also, I've been talking to a lot of people/reading all the posts on SDN and most people seem to have one million different types of ECs, saying that med schools like to see that you are well-rounded. I can understand the well-roundedness business I suppose, but many of my advisors have told me that they like to see just a few of ECs that you've been dedicated to. For example, I've been involved in my church's youth group since junior high school--attending retreats and now leading them (beginning in hs and continuing throughout college), and volunteering with my church doing various other activities like serving food to the homeless. Also, I've played tennis since I was 5 and still do in college...

Thoughts?

1) I've been involved in my church's youth group since junior high school--attending retreats and now leading them (beginning in hs and continuing throughout college), and
2) volunteering with my church
3) doing various other activities like serving food to the homeless. Also,
4) I've played tennis since I was 5 and still do in college...
1) This is good leadership.
2) This gives you nonmedical community service.
3) This too.
4) Adcomms love to know about leisuretime activities as you'll need a means of stress reduction in med school. Did you ever coach younger players in your sport?

All of these are excellent experiences that strengthen your application. The longevity is very impressive, demonstrating your dedication and passion for the activities, as do your musical interests.

Once you add research, additional clinical experience, and more shadowing, I think you'll be sufficiently "well rounded."

1)
4) Adcomms love to know about leisuretime activities as you'll need a means of stress reduction in med school. Did you ever coach younger players in your sport?

No, unfortunately I never have. Though I was paid to just hit around with one particular younger player several times...I don't think that really counts though.

Thanks for all your help.

Coaching, mentoring, TAing, and tutoring are all Teaching activities. If an opportunity to share your sport should come along in the next 1.5 years, maybe take it on.

I'll definitely look into that!

So I've taken my MCAT and would like to see what ya'll think now.

Brief recap:

Graduating this May. (I'll have a year off)
TX resident
Estimated TMDSAS cGPA will be about 3.46 at the end of this semester, sGPA will be 3.27
MCAT 30 O. (BS 10/VR 9/PS 11)

Varsity tennis player all 4 years. Played since 5 years old
Neuroscience major
165 hrs clinical volunteering (ER, hospice, 2 week medical mission trip to Central America, etc)
300 hrs non-clinical volunteering (Church retreat counselor, etc)
20+ hrs shadowing
Play violin/piano in my spare time. Played both since elementary school.
Studied abroad for a semester
Various clubs (Christian youth group, intramural sports)
Neuroscience research for 1 academic school year
Great LORs. 3 profs, all PhDs (neurobio prof and research mentor who is associated with UTHSCSA, another neurobio prof, 1 neuroscience/psychology prof); a Dr. that I shadowed who knows me very well and teaches at UTH; ER Volunteer Coordinator (who asked me to return this summer as her assistant); and my college tennis coach (thought this would give a different perspective/he could comment on my character better than the others). We have a committee/composite letter at my school.

How do I look for TX schools? Should I bother applying out of state?

Thanks

Last edited:
So I've taken my MCAT and would like to see what ya'll think now.

Brief recap:

Graduating this May. (I'll have a year off)
TX resident
Estimated TMDSAS cGPA will be about 3.46 at the end of this semester, sGPA will be 3.27
MCAT 30 O. (BS 10/VR 9/PS 11)

Varsity tennis player all 4 years. Played since 5 years old
Neuroscience major
165 hrs clinical volunteering (ER, hospice, 2 week medical mission trip to Central America, etc)
300 hrs non-clinical volunteering (Church retreat counselor, etc)
20+ hrs shadowing
Play violin/piano in my spare time. Played both since elementary school.
Studied abroad for a semester
Various clubs (Christian youth group, intramural sports)
Neuroscience research for 1 academic school year
Great LORs. 3 profs, all PhDs (neurobio prof and research mentor who is associated with UTHSCSA, another neurobio prof, 1 neuroscience/psychology prof); a Dr. that I shadowed who knows me very well and teaches at UTH; ER Volunteer Coordinator (who asked me to return this summer as her assistant); and my college tennis coach (thought this would give a different perspective/he could comment on my character better than the others). We have a committee/composite letter at my school.

How do I look for TX schools? Should I bother applying out of state?

Thanks

I'd say you're iffy for alot of Texas schools, but I do think it's worth a shot to apply this cycle (some may disagree with me). I honestly don't think it's worth it to apply OOS. You won't rly have a higher chance of getting in them then texas schools (as texas schools take like 90% in state) and texas tutition is simply too amazing to pass up.

What were your GPAs for each of the last three terms? What do you estimate for this one?
If you had any really low science grades, did you retake them?
Will you be including TCOM on your school list? If not, have you considered TCOM's SMP-like program to give you a better shot at MD schools?
Can you at least double the shadowing hours before you submit?
What was your role on the medical mission?