Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

What else do I need to do?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by boggvir, Dec 25, 2008.

1. boggvir

boggvir Sunny California
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    A bit on my GPA problem here, and I'd appreciate any help on that thread. But I'd also like to know what else I need to do to get into a MD program. I obviously need to bust my ass for an MCAT and aim for a 32+, but other than that, since I am a non-trad, my clinical experiences aren't great.

Right now, I am volunteering at an inpatient oncology floor for 4 hours/week for a semester. Next term, I plan to do 4 hours/week in the ER. I also plan to do some shadowing, and continue with some more clinical experiences next year (more volunteering). I was a part of a few clubs in college, but nothing major.

I am also currently doing a research project where I hope to be part of a publication (though low down on the list of authors). I am wondering what I need to do to make up for my earlier problems with grades.

2. J ROD

J ROD Watch my TAN walk!!
    Rocket Scientist Physician Pharmacist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

I have heard there are schools that may replace grades. That would be ideal for your situation.

Maybe someone on here knows some. You do have an impressive turnaround.

If you drop a nice MCAT (33-35), get in all that clinical experience, and continue with the GPA, you might have a shot. I would work on my instate school hard if I were you.

3. boggvir

boggvir Sunny California
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    No real instate school that favors in-staters :(. I know AACOMAS (DO) replace grades, but I want to try for MD.

4. boggvir

boggvir Sunny California
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Since I live in PA, I hope commonwealth medical school, or one of the others gives me a shot. 3.5 to 3.6 is going to be below their average, and those F and Cs will hurt, so I'm just hoping my upward trend is good enough.