What else should i add to my application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

solarwinggx

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Converted GPA is 3.7 (my science and cumulative are both in the 3.7 range)
MCAT (old) 30 (9v 10p 11b)
I have done over a year of research in 2 labs which both are (at the moment) producing papers with my name one it.
Ill have 2 research papers at the minimum sent out for to be published when i apply
i can get 4 letters of rec from my professors from school and research mentor/PI
I have 400+ hours of clinical volunteer hours in the ER, where i got to shadow doctors when there is down time in the ER (2 year, but no letter of rec due to hospital policy)
I have 200+ hours of volunteer hours with a non-profit organization that does food bank drives, nursing home visits, disaster relief fundraising, and medical outreach (dental mainly) for the poor

Im a California resident and plan to apply OOS

Im going to try to apply everywhere but i know with my stats im not going to get into anywhere top tier (which is fine by me, I really just want to get IN). My dream school right now is OHSU

I think i need more clinical experience but im not sure where to get it, what do you guys think?
what else can i add to my application/do to make it better? If I want to get a paid job working in a hospital what kind of position should i look for? My counselor said my application is very cookie-cutter looking, what do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
H7nojd6.png

Jokes aside, your app looks super solid (minus the MCAT, though a 30 is still nothing to scoff at) and you should expect many IIs.

i dont get the joke lol, please explain? :D

Also my counselor said my application is very cookie cutter, what do you guys think

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't have any publications. I've gotten 6 IIs. Cookie cutter doesn't mean jack.

Do you have anything besides those 3-4 ECs? Doesn't need to be clinical/research, just add some past emloyment, etc.

do you know anyone at any of the med schools ?

The two paid hospital jobs that come to mind are: scribe or clinical research assistant. You don't necessarily NEED paid clinical experience, though. Look for stuff that interests you first and foremost.

What about hobbies / EC's that you do just for fun? Don't forget to include these, too! Your stats are fine. Just be thoughtful about your school list. Look for schools that don't show a strong preference for IS. Not saying you shouldn't apply to OHSU but they give preference to people from Oregon/Montana/Wyoming. Be careful not to add TOO many schools like this to your list and I'm sure you'll do ok!

Converted GPA is 3.7 (my science and cumulative are both in the 3.7 range)
MCAT (old) 30 (9v 10p 11b)
I have done over a year of research in 2 labs which both are (at the moment) producing papers with my name one it.
Ill have 2 research papers at the minimum sent out for to be published when i apply
i can get 4 letters of rec from my professors from school and research mentor/PI
I have 400+ hours of clinical volunteer hours in the ER, where i got to shadow doctors when there is down time in the ER (2 year, but no letter of rec due to hospital policy)
I have 200+ hours of volunteer hours with a non-profit organization that does food bank drives, nursing home visits, disaster relief fundraising, and medical outreach (dental mainly) for the poor

Im a California resident and plan to apply OOS

Im going to try to apply everywhere but i know with my stats im not going to get into anywhere top tier (which is fine by me, I really just want to get IN). My dream school right now is OHSU

I think i need more clinical experience but im not sure where to get it, what do you guys think?
what else can i add to my application/do to make it better? If I want to get a paid job working in a hospital what kind of position should i look for? My counselor said my application is very cookie-cutter looking, what do you guys think?
Do you have any peer leadership or teaching (coaching, TA, tutor, mentor)? I agree with the suggestion to include hobbies. And don't forget there is a category for artistic endeavors (which can be a hobby that reaches a wider audience).

I think your clinical experience looks fine, assuming you were interacting with patients during some of the time.

Are you keeping track of shadowing time so you can list it on its own? I suggest you use your ER contacts to arrange some dedicated office-based shadowing with a doc who provides longitudinal care, like an internist, pediatrician, or family doc.

BTW, submitted papers don't give you "points". Hopefully you'll have an accepted one by the time you submit, but as pointed out, published papers aren't required/expected at your level. Your description of your research, contributions to the project, and understanding of the overall process are far more important. Off-campus poster presentations are worth mentioning on the application.