What else should I be doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kcirlu

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm currently a sophomore and I wanted to know what else should I be doing towards my application. I plan to apply to medical schools my final semester of senior year (around June I heard applications open). Here is what I have so far:
  • For volunteering, I translate Spanish (native language) between doctors and patients at a local health clinic. I am currently enroll in an EMT course which ends in June, so I plan to work with my university as an EMT for the next two years.
  • For research, I did ~360 hours of microbiology research last summer. Currently in a physical chemistry research lab where I plan to remain until I graduate.
  • For employment, I am a Resident Assistant for a freshman dorm.
  • I did ~60 hours shadowing a hematology oncology doctor last year (do I need to do other doctors?)
  • I am a treasurer in a student organization involved in promoting STEM to Hispanic and Native American students.
What else do I need to do for the rest of my application? I obviously need to fix my gpa right now, as it is too low even for DO standards (3.0 as of fall semester sophomore). I have also a small gpa increase every semester, if that counts too (2.73 -> 3.0 -> 3.32). I think I pinpointed my flaws in my studying habits and changed my major to one that I genuinely enjoy now so I should expect better grades from here on out. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You're doing fine. Just focus on your GPA before adding even more to your plate.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

I'm currently a sophomore and I wanted to know what else should I be doing towards my application. I plan to apply to medical schools my final semester of senior year (around June I heard applications open). Here is what I have so far:
  • For volunteering, I translate Spanish (native language) between doctors and patients at a local health clinic. I am currently enroll in an EMT course which ends in June, so I plan to work with my university as an EMT for the next two years.
  • For research, I did ~360 hours of microbiology research last summer. Currently in a physical chemistry research lab where I plan to remain until I graduate.
  • For employment, I am a Resident Assistant for a freshman dorm.
  • I did ~60 hours shadowing a hematology oncology doctor last year (do I need to do other doctors?)
  • I am a treasurer in a student organization involved in promoting STEM to Hispanic and Native American students.
What else do I need to do for the rest of my application? I obviously need to fix my gpa right now, as it is too low even for DO standards (3.0 as of fall semester sophomore). I have also a small gpa increase every semester, if that counts too (2.73 -> 3.0 -> 3.32). I think I pinpointed my flaws in my studying habits and changed my major to one that I genuinely enjoy now so I should expect better grades from here on out. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

As you've already said, your GPA is what most of your attention should be focused on.

Also, continue with your EC's (shadowing and spanish translating) so that they're still relevant when it's time for you to apply.

primary care shadowing would be good, especially if you are planning on applying DO. other than that... keep up good work. try to push a 3.5+ gpa if you can

As you've already said, your GPA is what most of your attention should be focused on.

Also, continue with your EC's (shadowing and spanish translating) so that they're still relevant when it's time for you to apply.

I agree that GPA is the main thing you'll need to focus on.

Sounds good, thank you!

How many hours are you able to put into each of these activities per week?

I know RA takes about 15-20 hours out of your time (at least it did for me when I was an RA), research can take anywhere from 10-40, and sitting a club board can be anywhere from 1-5.

Do you feel as though you have enough time to study with all of those activities at the same time? How many classes are you in?

I agree that GPA is the main thing you'll need to focus on.

How many hours are you able to put into each of these activities per week?

I know RA takes about 15-20 hours out of your time (at least it did for me when I was an RA), research can take anywhere from 10-40, and sitting a club board can be anywhere from 1-5.

Do you feel as though you have enough time to study with all of those activities at the same time? How many classes are you in?

This semester I am taking five courses and doing about 5-10 hours of research /week. Its been a lot, but the main issue is the EMT course. They say it has the courseload of a 12 unit class so once I have that over with the remaining semesters should feel better. For the student org I usually do 1 hour/week since the org is at its early stages of being on campus. For volunteering, usually 4-6 hours/week. I also heard that I need to do non-clinical volunteering as well in order to be competitive. How do you guys manage to do all of that without burning out?

This semester I am taking five courses and doing about 5-10 hours of research /week. Its been a lot, but the main issue is the EMT course. They say it has the courseload of a 12 unit class so once I have that over with the remaining semesters should feel better. For the student org I usually do 1 hour/week since the org is at its early stages of being on campus. For volunteering, usually 4-6 hours/week. I also heard that I need to do non-clinical volunteering as well in order to be competitive. How do you guys manage to do all of that without burning out?

Burnout is real, and most people do actually get really burnt out at some point during undergrad. For me, it came between junior and senior year, when I decided I didn't have everything I wanted in order to apply and decided to do a bunch of things at the same time so I wouldn't need to take more than one gap year. That's why when I post I really try to hit on the importance of mental health through undergrad.

The main thing is not to do too much at one time, and it sounds like you're getting well into that territory right now.

Non-clinical volunteering is definitely important, because they want to see that you have passions outside of medicine. It doesn't have to be something super emotionally/physically draining. For example, I volunteered with middle school students in after school settings and played sports with them. It was a great de-stresser for me and was also work with underserved communities (This was in the inner city).

Medical School isn't worth ****ty mental health, remember that.

Burnout is real, and most people do actually get really burnt out at some point during undergrad. For me, it came between junior and senior year, when I decided I didn't have everything I wanted in order to apply and decided to do a bunch of things at the same time so I wouldn't need to take more than one gap year. That's why when I post I really try to hit on the importance of mental health through undergrad.

The main thing is not to do too much at one time, and it sounds like you're getting well into that territory right now.

Non-clinical volunteering is definitely important, because they want to see that you have passions outside of medicine. It doesn't have to be something super emotionally/physically draining. For example, I volunteered with middle school students in after school settings and played sports with them. It was a great de-stresser for me and was also work with underserved communities (This was in the inner city).

Medical School isn't worth ****ty mental health, remember that.

I gladly appreciate your insight, thanks!