Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

What else should I do?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by leviathan, May 3, 2004.

1. leviathan

leviathan Drinking from the hydrant
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hey, I just need some advice from you guys about my application.

I'm going into my second year and so I still have a couple years to build up a better resum?. For the moment, I'm going full-time to UBC, I volunteer with the hospital, and I volunteer as a first-aid attendant for St. John Ambulance for lots of concerts and NHL games and what not around town. Would this be sufficient, or should I get more things under my belt? If so can you give me any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks for the help. :)

2. TRUE

TRUE slacker extraordinaire
    7+ Year Member

I think you're solid. I would also stress that you do things that you LIKE to do, because it may show in your application or interviews if you really didn't enjoy what you were doing. Find things you enjoy (it can be volunteering with kids, homeless shelters, whatever you find enjoyable). In terms of your medical volunteering, it sounds like you have plenty of experience.

3. BaseballFan

BaseballFan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I would suggest you try to get some research experience.

You don't need to be splitting the atom, but at least some minimal experience in research will help you become a more informed and prepared physician.

Otherwise, I agree with facted...do things you enjoy, not just medical-related things. Don't just try to pad your resume, but have a good time in college.

Best of luck in the future.

4. leviathan

Attending Physician
    Thanks...and to answer what you said, I do enjoy the volunteer work that I'm involved with. I know because I enjoy treating injured patients as a first-aid attendant, that I'll enjoy the same things a physician must take part in.

So how do you think I can get research experience? The only step I took this year was to email my physiology prof about possibly doing research with him. He didn't reply.

5. BaseballFan

BaseballFan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Do you have an academic advisor? You can set up a meeting and talk about the possibility. Also talk to a prof in a class you've enjoyed in the past?

You can also apply for a summer internship at one of the national laboratories, a university, or a place like the NIH.

google "national laboratories" and you'll get a list of the nat. labs...almost all, including sandia, llnl, etc. have an undergrad internship program.

http://www.nsf.gov/home/crssprgm/reu/start.htm is a great place to look for a summer position. REU is a nice program, where you can work at a university for a summer and get paid a decent stipend to do research.

PM if you need more info.

Good luck!

6. leviathan

Attending Physician
    Thank you, thank you. Those links were informative, but I think it's important to mention that I'm Canadian! :D
    I really haven't heard much of undergrad students participating in research here, as it seems that work is reserved for graduate students. I'll definitely talk to an academic advisor, though.

7. TRUE

TRUE slacker extraordinaire
    7+ Year Member

E-mailing professors is a good start. Don't just e-mail one though. That won't get you very far. You also shouldn't limit yourself to professors you've taken classes with. Look up your school's faculty that do research in fields you'd be interested in and start e-mailing away.