What else to do with a Ph.D. in SLP besides the academy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DowntownDigs

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good morning,

I graduated 3 years ago with a Ph.D. in Communication Sciences and Disorders. I currently hold an entry level position (i.e., assistant prof) at a university. I want to transition out of the academy for a number of reasons - the primary reason is to get away from the constant bullying that occurs. I really do not want to re-enter clinical practice at this point in my life. I have been researching clinical educator/clinical mentor jobs with rehabilitation companies. However, it is my understanding that most of these jobs are filled internally. I am considering whether hiring a head hunter/job coach would be helpful at this point. I am open to transferring out of the field of SLP completely, as well. Thanks for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

I would Google up some different SLP forums out there. This forum is pretty much completely dead for the most part.

If you are a licensed SLP but you don't want to work as one, I can't think off the top of many options there would be that would be completely relevant to your degree.

Do you have enough experience to look for a Director of Rehab position at an SNF/hospital somewhere? There may be a job like that that was mostly administrative with minimal clinical practice.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I've seen OTs and SLPs take administrative roles (I'm sure a PT could do the same). The prior training obviously isn't necessary, but it is helpful in regard to knowing what a therapy hour looks like, having a better understanding of team dynamics, etc. Those kind of roles are a ton of paperwork and meetings, so it isn't for everyone.

Reactions: 1 user