What else?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jofrbr76

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is not a "what are my chances thread" i'm just wondering what some of you think i could add or need to do more of to be a stronger candidate this June. My advisor told me to just stress the MCAT right now, but i really feel like i should be doing something else, like more volunteer work. waddya think?

Biomedical sciences major
My Gpa - 3.6
NO mcat yet, that's in april (29 on Kaplan Diagnostic)

*pres. of Pre-med club

*2 years of Varsity Athletics (on scholarship)

*2 years of DCT (direct care technician) hosp. job

*About 80 hours volunteer in E.R. (same hospital)

*about 40 hours volunteer at a Homeless shelter (still doing this one)

*shadowed a pediatrician this summer, that's it, only for 4 days

*1 year of Breast cancer research (drug development and pharmacology emphasis)with the head of Biomedical department at my college, no publications yet.

Well, thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Just rock the MCAT and you'll be sitting pretty.

It's a rare occurence...but every once in awhile, advisors are completely right. This is one of those times. Of course, you shouldn't be trusting commercial diagonostic tests. Take a later AAMC test!!

Members don't see this ad :)
You are totally fine...don't fret...just concentrate on your MCAT:) I know it's hard when it starts coming down to the line to applying...you want to get that one last activity in:) It's the anal-retentive pre-med thing:) But seriuosly though, you have a lot going for you, you will be fine.

Best thing you could be doing right now? 1. Don't overextend yourself so you compromise your MCAT performance. 2. (perhaps more importantly) start analyzing what all of your experiences mean to you, how they relate to one another and your future - what am I getting at? START WRITING YOUR PERSONAL STATEMENT!

Reactions: 1 user
If you do decently on the MCAT (29-31), you should be set to get in to a middle tier med school, so long as you apply to enough of them and early enough. You are a good strong applicant, but honestly, your stats aren't amazing. You would have a hard time getting in to a top 20 school unless you bump up the MCAT score a good 5 points or more. take care,
john

John - not counting the MCAT diagnostic - I disagree with your statement. We really don't have enough info to fully evaluate, and I think it is a little hasty to count jofrbr out of the top 20.

MCAT. MCAT. MCAT! trust me... GOOD LUCK!

Reactions: 1 users
It sounds like your pretty busy already. Concentrate on the MCAT for the next couple of months--focus on doing as well as possible. Good Luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey,
Thanks to everyone who replied to my post. I guess i'm a typical pre-med after all. :rolleyes:

Anyways, didn't want to reply to my own post but felt i needed to thank you all for your input.

Cheers

Reactions: 1 users
didnt i tell u what to do? what r u doing surfing u should be studying (j/k)

You are totally fine...don't fret...just concentrate on your MCAT:) I know it's hard when it starts coming down to the line to applying...you want to get that one last activity in:) It's the anal-retentive pre-med thing:) But seriuosly though, you have a lot going for you, you will be fine.

Fireball shots, eh.. :naughty:

Was this bumped to prove that 11 years ago, nobody told this person to shadow more? And that his GPA might be an issue?

Was this bumped to prove that 11 years ago, nobody told this person to shadow more? And that his GPA might be an issue?

That was also 11 years ago, so weren't the standards much lower?

Also, he could have shadowed 4 days straight, 4*24 = 96 ;)

That was also 11 years ago, so weren't the standards much lower?

Also, he could have shadowed 4 days straight, 4*24 = 96 ;)

:p

Yes, that's what I meant - 11 years ago, the standards were lower. Or that SDN got more neurotic. Probably both.