What ethnicity am I under the AAMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think you are underestimating the lengths to which a school may be willing to go to appear more "diverse". Some schools really pride themselves on this and those numbers.

yah you might be right. it's my belief that schools that make a big deal about diversity aren't really actually trying to game the system. what purpose does it serve otherwise? "we look really diverse, and more and more people that prioritize diversity are going to want to come to our school, but the suckers, we're going to reject them?" i don't get it.

as for URMs having a greater tendency to go back to underserved communities--better to me would be to accept applicants who have demonstrated an interest in working with underserved communities, which as you pointed out may be a large number of applicants who happen to be URM, rather than just assuming people are going to do so because they clicked a box.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, then you are speaking of asylees and refugees, not immigrants, technically. I do know a good deal of immigrants. Most are professionals from a upper class background.

I'm not trying to argue BTW. I just don't think that these issues are cut and dried, and I think the terminology used here is incredibly outdated and imprecise.

There are plenty of non-well to do African immigrants. I used to live in a city where a lot of the taxi drivers were Nigerians.

During my college experience, a lot of people complained that there were a lot of children of African immigrants and there was a great discussion about whether they belonged and whether they had the socioeconomics to really understand the Black experience. However, as a rule most of the wealthy or legacy students were Black American...so make of that what you will. I think it all comes back to understanding that race and economics are not the same.

When an American-born person of African descent interacts with the system, he/she is Black first. Having a funny-looking name isn't necessarily helpful. Given the imagery of Africa on TV, it's not like the average American assumes that an African is better or more hard working than a Black American. And many African immigrants move to mostly Black neighborhoods and so their children grow up with other Black children, so it's not like there are 2 parallel but not intersecting societies.

There are plenty of non-well to do African immigrants. I used to live in a city where a lot of the taxi drivers were Nigerians.

During my college experience, a lot of people complained that there were a lot of children of African immigrants and there was a great discussion about whether they belonged and whether they had the socioeconomics to really understand the Black experience. However, as a rule most of the wealthy or legacy students were Black American...so make of that what you will. I think it all comes back to understanding that race and economics are not the same.

When an American-born person of African descent interacts with the system, he/she is Black first. Having a funny-looking name isn't necessarily helpful. Given the imagery of Africa on TV, it's not like the average American assumes that an African is better or more hard working than a Black American. And many African immigrants move to mostly Black neighborhoods and so their children grow up with other Black children, so it's not like there are 2 parallel but not intersecting societies.

That is interesting. I had not thought of it that way.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it all comes back to understanding that race and economics are not the same.

they aren't the same; but they are strongly interrelated. [generalization handwaving]i think the original purpose of URM designation in higher education was to level the playing field and take into account the fact that since URMs disproportionally occupy the lower income brackets they often do not have access to quality schooling/tutoring/etc. as in smart students who are disadvantaged wouldn't have as many opportunities to take more advanced/challenging coursework, etc.[/generalization handwaving] i think this continues at the medschool level, although obviously schools have realized that a diverse student body enhances the quality of the educational experience for everybody (although some argue that it's unfair for students from privileged backgrounds to be essentially exploiting URM students for their experiences with prejudice and oppression as a "educational experience") and, pointing to something i read about a few months ago, many of the poorer blacks feel somewhat left behind when wealthier blacks are becoming more educated and moving out of the neighborhoods they inhabited when they were poor as opposed to staying behind and trying to bring the entire community up with them. race/class really do have a complicated relationship. of course the issues are super complex; you could craft an entire major out of examining these issues.

And many African immigrants move to mostly Black neighborhoods and so their children grow up with other Black children, so it's not like there are 2 parallel but not intersecting societies.

it's been my understanding that much like other immigrant groups, there is a clustering effect. like there's a huge nigerian population in houston...is it growing because there are a lot of Black folk living in houston or because there's a community here already...who can say. i think if the former were true, then the communities would be a lot more spread out, meaning that i don't think we can assume that african immigrants are going to just move into a neighborhood because there are a lot of Black/African-american people living there.

i think it's also important to acknowledge that it's not just how a system views a person, it's also how a person sees him or herself. here i think an individual sees him/herself apart from how a system would choose to conventionally categorize that person--i think it's important that we all respect that. there are probably schools that try to game the system by inflating numbers (my undergrad apparently did that by double-counting biracial students), but my frustration is with the school, not people who put themselves down as bi/multiracial.

Last edited:
they aren't the same; but they are strongly interrelated. [generalization handwaving]i think the original purpose of URM designation in higher education was to level the playing field and take into account the fact that since URMs disproportionally occupy the lower income brackets they often do not have access to quality schooling/tutoring/etc. as in smart students who are disadvantaged wouldn't have as many opportunities to take more advanced/challenging coursework, etc.[/generalization handwaving] i think this continues at the medschool level, although obviously schools have realized that a diverse student body enhances the quality of the educational experience for everybody (although some argue that it's unfair for students from privileged backgrounds to be essentially exploiting URM students for their experiences with prejudice and oppression as a "educational experience") and, pointing to something i read about a few months ago, many of the poorer blacks feel somewhat left behind when wealthier blacks are becoming more educated and moving out of the neighborhoods they inhabited when they were poor as opposed to staying behind and trying to bring the entire community up with them. race/class really do have a complicated relationship. of course the issues are super complex; you could craft an entire major out of examining these issues.

it's been my understanding that much like other immigrant groups, there is a clustering effect. like there's a huge nigerian population in houston...is it growing because there are a lot of Black folk living in houston or because there's a community here already...who can say. i think if the former were true, then the communities would be a lot more spread out, meaning that i don't think we can assume that african immigrants are going to just move into a neighborhood because there are a lot of Black/African-american people living there. i think it's also important to acknowledge that it's not just how a system views a person, it's also how a person sees him or herself. here i think an individual sees him/herself apart from how a system would choose to conventionally categorize that person--i think it's important that we all respect that.

I've gotten into arguments with a lot of people about that point. I honestly think that the most important thing is how people see you. How you see yourself can inform how people see you, but if you think you aren't Black but everyone else thinks you're Black, it's really kind of irrelevant.

It's been my experience that the clustering effect with Africans is pretty small, but maybe I'm just generalizing my personal experience. I personally found that children of African immigrants were just as enthusiastic about building up Black organizations and doing service in Black communities and often dressed and spoke in what would be considered stereotypically Black ways. Having said that, I am of recent African descent myself, and I don't really care if the powers that be decide to exclude Africans from affirmative action. I only care if they decide to do it for socioeconomic reasons. Because people don't like to talk about it, but most of the Black people (much like most of the Asian and white people) at our elite universities are well-to-do--so the "you're not poor enough" card doesn't really play here. If the problem is just that we're taking up space, then please man up and say that instead of muttering things about socioeconomics.

I think what makes me uncomfortable about this scenario we are debating is this idea of "gaming" the system or getting all of the benefits of being AA without dealing with the social consequences that URM med students/doctors must overcome. Whether you like affirmative action or not, I think it would be hard for many people to argue that the obstacles many (not all) black americans must go through are not the same as many white african americans, ignoring economics.

However, when it is more beneficial to be white/caucasian would this same person identify as African American? I don't know...

I've gotten into arguments with a lot of people about that point. I honestly think that the most important thing is how people see you. How you see yourself can inform how people see you, but if you think you aren't Black but everyone else thinks you're Black, it's really kind of irrelevant.

aright, well that's your opinion. you're of course entitled to it. i was merely stating it's important to take both things into account. as opposed to demanding that people fit into what our own conventions and notions of identity labels are and suggesting that its unethical, disrespectful, misleading when they don't, we should just respect the fact that identity is personal and as folks have stated not cut and dry.

If the problem is just that we're taking up space, then please man up and say that instead of muttering things about socioeconomics.

i'm not quite sure where you got this from; maybe you should clarify a little bit on that second paragraph. i am one of the last people in this forum that you will find saying anything derogatory or negative about URMs, because, well frankly i don't have entitlement issues--let's be honest, that's where most of the hate is coming from. in any case talk to anybody in black studies, read any black studies theory (audre lorde and bell hooks are personal favorites), and they will inevitably suggest that race and class are inextricably linked; for the most part you can't talk about one without talking about the other.

in any case most of the AA's at my school, at least the ones i knew, happened to be from the lower income bracket...most of them had significant financial aid packages. guess it depends on where you are.

aright, well that's your opinion. you're of course entitled to it. i was merely stating it's important to take both things into account. as opposed to demanding that people fit into what our own conventions and notions of identity labels are and suggesting that its unethical, disrespectful, misleading when they don't, we should just respect the fact that identity is personal and as folks have stated not cut and dry.

i'm not quite sure where you got this from; maybe you should clarify a little bit on that second paragraph. i am one of the last people in this forum that you will find saying anything derogatory or negative about URMs, because, well frankly i don't have entitlement issues--let's be honest, that's where most of the hate is coming from. in any case talk to anybody in black studies, read any black studies theory (audre lorde and bell hooks are personal favorites), and they will inevitably suggest that race and class are inextricably linked; for the most part you can't talk about one without talking about the other.

in any case most of the AA's at my school, at least the ones i knew, happened to be from the lower income bracket...most of them had significant financial aid packages. guess it depends on where you are.

Race is an artificial construct created by society--so when an outside individual evaluates what race someone is within that society, why shouldn't the society's perception play greater weight?

I didn't say race and class aren't related--I just said they aren't the same. Race and class present their own unique challenges, some of which operate independently of each other, some of which work together to compound each other.

And when I said "we" in the last paragraph, I was referring to descendants of recent African immigrants, not African Americans. I think if you reread that last paragraph with that in mind, it would make more sense.

What does a Palestinian designate as race?

So AAMC lets you decide whether or not you think you are a URM? I am Afghan, so I am not what was previously defined as URM, but less than 1% (probbably much less) of all physicians in the US are Afghans, so I think its definitely an underrepresented ethnic group in medicine.

I'll just stick to my other box though, seems like only blacks, hispanics and native americans still qualify as URM.

So AAMC lets you decide whether or not you think you are a URM? I am Afghan, so I am not what was previously defined as URM, but less than 1% (probbably much less) of all physicians in the US are Afghans, so I think its definitely an underrepresented ethnic group in medicine.

I'll just stick to my other box though, seems like only blacks, hispanics and native americans still qualify as URM.
Not underrepresented in comparison to the proportion afghans have in the general population. Probably overrepresented actually, given I'd be willing to bet that a decent portion of the afghanis who manage to immigrate are physicians.

Remember: Underrepresented looks at the % of physicians in that certain ethnicity compared to the % that ethnicity has of the general population.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's true. Much less than 1% of the population is Afghan as well. Most of the physicians who came over were not able to practice as physicians though and few of my generation go into medicine compared to other ethnicities of the region like Pakistanis or Persians. I can write about this though I suppose if am asked how I can bring diversity to a school.

Last edited:
If I have a choice I will go with Caucasian. To write Asians (Indian, Pakistani, Chines, Korean) will put you in tougher bracket( higher MCAT & GPA). One of my friend South Asian called the Florida school about status after interview she was told they have enough South Asian girls already accepted even though her MCAT and GPA(33,3.65) was higher than the person accepted(29, 3.45).
I wonder if some can challenge the ethnicity question in the AMCAS application. In my opinion it is a discrimination.

Race is an artificial construct created by society--so when an outside individual evaluates what race someone is within that society, why shouldn't the society's perception play greater weight?

i think i pretty much agree with the idea you're putting out here, but i think it's incomplete, because without taking an individual's self-perception into account you rob them of their identity and agency. i think that starts with telling someone to check a box and self-identify with something that they clearly don't believe they are. what about lighter skinned people who could pass as white? are they supposed to put caucasian/white down too?

And when I said "we" in the last paragraph, I was referring to descendants of recent African immigrants, not African Americans. I think if you reread that last paragraph with that in mind, it would make more sense.

yah it makes more sense. i don't think you're taking up space:D. although i think historically affirmative action and its cousins in the US were designed to address the suffering and "scars of centuries" that resulted from systemic oppression of black people in the US. of course the story changes with globalization. back to the discussion we were having earlier, does a child of a recent, wealty african immigrant come from a disadvantaged background or at least one that is on par with the cycles of poverty and systemic oppression that some african american families have had to deal with for centuries?

Last edited:
i think i pretty much agree with the idea you're putting out here, but i think it's incomplete, because without taking an individual's self-perception into account you rob them of their identity and agency. i think that starts with telling someone to check a box and self-identify with something that they clearly don't believe they are. what about lighter skinned people who could pass as white? are they supposed to put caucasian/white down too?

yah it makes more sense. i don't think you're taking up space:D. although i think historically affirmative action and its cousins in the US were designed to address the suffering and "scars of centuries" that resulted from systemic oppression of black people in the US. of course the story changes with globalization. back to the discussion we were having earlier, does a child of a recent, wealty african immigrant come from a disadvantaged background or at least one that is on par with the cycles of poverty and systemic oppression that some african american families have had to deal with for centuries?

Does a child from a wealthy African American family come from a disadvantaged background or at least one that is on par with cycles of poverty and colonialism that some african families have had to deal with for centuries?

Does a child from a wealthy African American family come from a disadvantaged background or at least one that is on par with cycles of poverty and colonialism that some african families have had to deal with for centuries?

i'm assuming your answer is yes then. although i had to remind myself not to attempt to draw comparisons like that--doesn't really help the discussion.

i don't really think cycles of poverty and colonialism are specific to african families. western nations have had their hands pretty much everywhere; asia did not escape poverty and colonialism either. are we all disadvantaged then?

as a profession, yes medicine needs more representation. folks like to see doctors who look like them, share their values, understand them, etc. medical schools try to accomplish this with URM. but as an educational opportunity i think outreach should also take into consideration socioeconomic class. medical schools accomplish this with the disadvantaged check box, although i think there is a semi-implicit assumption that if you are URM you are likely to be disadvantaged although this may not always be true.

as for the original issue. i still think it's okay to put down African-American if you are in fact from Africa, and the application doesn't specify otherwise (i've heard some applications are very specific about north africans, south africans, etc...although if you happen to be black and from those geographic locations i guess that that's different). as for being disadvantaged that's a totally separate issue.

Last edited:

and if we end up at the same school, and you don't hate me, i'm gonna wanna meet you to chat about all this.

i'm assuming your answer is yes then. although i had to remind myself not to attempt to draw comparisons like that--doesn't really help the discussion.

i don't really think cycles of poverty and colonialism are specific to african families. western nations have had their hands pretty much everywhere; asia did not escape poverty and colonialism either. are we all disadvantaged then?

as a profession, yes medicine needs more representation. folks like to see doctors who look like them, share their values, understand them, etc. medical schools try to accomplish this with URM. but as an educational opportunity i think outreach should also take into consideration socioeconomic class. medical schools accomplish this with the disadvantaged check box, although i think there is a semi-implicit assumption that if you are URM you are likely to be disadvantaged although this may not always be true.

as for the original issue. i still think it's okay to put down African-American if you are in fact from Africa, and the application doesn't specify otherwise (i've heard some applications are very specific about north africans, south africans, etc...although if you happen to be black and from those geographic locations i guess that that's different). as for being disadvantaged that's a totally separate issue.

Disadvantaged and URM are 2 separate issues.

People should get to claim disadvantage if they were personally in poverty for at least part of their youth.

URM is another issue. URM should be for people who are underrepresented in the profession, regardless of reason.

I understand that colonialism is everywhere, but I would think that Africa got hit pretty hard. Slavery was pretty disruptive to West Africa (although infinitely more disruptive to the individuals who became slaves themselves) as was having its natural resources used by Europeans and preventing Africans from going to school and keeping them on the outside of the wealth and civilization that Europeans were generating. It's funny because in any context outside of this, everyone always agrees that Africa is the most miserable continent and that nothing good comes out of it. There is a thread in All-Students that talks about how lazy Africans must be to spend all their time naked and starving. As if that's a choice people make :rolleyes: But in terms of affirmative action, all of this is really an aside. The point is underrepresentation and working to serve underserved communities regardless of how the underrepresentation happened.

Also, I don't hate you. :) I'm kind of numb emotionally to this topic--constantly rehashed again and again throughout undergrad.

Last edited:
There is a thread in All-Students that talks about how lazy Africans must be to spend all their time naked and starving. As if that's a choice people make :rolleyes:

that stuff always makes my heart bleed. maybe i need some of that emotional numbness.

palestinians are arabs.

"An Arab is a person who identifies as such on linguistic or cultural grounds.[8][9] The plural form, Arabs, refers to the cultural group at large."

i would say its near impossible to find a palestinian who doesnt think theyre arab. even if according to your article they are descendants of jews, theyre still arab.

jews=arabs
semites
all the same. except religion differs.

A somewhat related question -- what ethnicity would you put for North African?

Nice to see other arabs on the forums.

According to the U.S. Census, arab/middle eastern is considered white/caucasian.

How come? Why not African American?

Cause you'll catch a beat down by Black people and likeminded Latino people...naw but on the real, you know what they mean by "African-American". Most things say "African-American/Black." They are equivalent...if you are not of black African ancestry...don't put it down, unless you want to deal with the consequences.

bro, did ya read the entire thread? There are about three pages discussing this!

Thick-headed people. :laugh: Ello' me quieren joder ma'

Please look at the definition below for the US Census directly from their website.
"Definition: The concept of race as used by the Census Bureau reflects self-identification by people according to the race or races with which they most closely identify."
As they state, this census is based on self-identification; if you self-identify with African- Americans or Whites or anything then put it down. The AMCAS application asks for what you self-identify with. If you have filled out the application you will see that it clearly states "Racial Self-Description." If you are from African and self-identify with African-Americans then check it off, NO ONE has a right to say otherwise. Also, you can check off if you are URM or not; you are not automatically considered URM as some people have stated in this forum. I am not ignorant and I know the reasons why others are getting upset. As a Coptic Christian, the indigenous people and direct descendants of the Ancient Egyptian (Pharaohs), I have face discrimination in my own country of Egypt and American. I will not place "white" as the US Census expects me to so because I am a minority and my family and I have greatly struggled.
I am currently interviewing and I was asked by the diversity individual where I was from. I told her Egypt and she showed me the census that stated North African is considered White. I wrote back explaining myself thoroughly (she was very pleased with my response). She replied and said if you self-identify with African-Americans "your self-identification of African-American is accepted." I hope this adds some insight.

Please look at the definition below for the US Census directly from their website.
"Definition: The concept of race as used by the Census Bureau reflects self-identification by people according to the race or races with which they most closely identify."
As they state, this census is based on self-identification; if you self-identify with African- Americans or Whites or anything then put it down. The AMCAS application asks for what you self-identify with. If you have filled out the application you will see that it clearly states "Racial Self-Description." If you are from African and self-identify with African-Americans then check it off, NO ONE has a right to say otherwise. Also, you can check off if you are URM or not; you are not automatically considered URM as some people have stated in this forum. I am not ignorant and I know the reasons why others are getting upset. As a Coptic Christian, the indigenous people and direct descendants of the Ancient Egyptian (Pharaohs), I have face discrimination in my own country of Egypt and American. I will not place "white" as the US Census expects me to so because I am a minority and my family and I have greatly struggled.
I am currently interviewing and I was asked by the diversity individual where I was from. I told her Egypt and she showed me the census that stated North African is considered White. I wrote back explaining myself thoroughly (she was very pleased with my response). She replied and said if you self-identify with African-Americans "your self-identification of African-American is accepted." I hope this adds some insight.

But do you actually identify with Blacks? Do you have Black friends or go through the same issues that Blacks go through? Do you truly understand what is like to be Black in the United States of America? I'm gonna go out on a limb, and say you probably don't. I'm just saying...I have many Black friends who would be utterly offended/angry by you doing this...but hey man, do you.

Just be prepared by what your fellow "African-American" classmates may have to say to you when you tell them you're Black.

Edit: And considering you have a total of 9 posts...it's probably a pretty safe assumption that you are just a troll.

But do you actually identify with Blacks? Do you have Black friends or go through the same issues that Blacks go through? Do you truly understand what is like to be Black in the United States of America? I'm gonna go out on a limb, and say you probably don't. I'm just saying...I have many Black friends who would be utterly offended/angry by you doing this...but hey man, do you.

Just be prepared by what your fellow "African-American" classmates may have to say to you when you tell them you're Black.

Stop assuming. I lived in the ghetto for most of my life. Do I have black friends? YES. Do I understand? YES. Again, stop assuming - you know nothing about the people who are posting in here. You don't know how they struggle or what kind of life they had. This debate can go on forever. You can agree with whoever you want and state whatever you want, but at the end, it's the individual's choice to decide what they want to put down in the application.

Not a troll buddy... i just dont have time to post... thanks

Stop assuming. I lived in the ghetto for most of my life. Do I have black friends? YES. Do I understand? YES. Again, stop assuming - you know nothing about the people who are posting in here. You don't know how they struggle or what kind of life they had. This debate can go on forever. You can agree with whoever you want and state whatever you want, but at the end, it's the individual's choice to decide what they want to put down in the application.

Not a troll buddy... i just dont have time to post... thanks

It's whatever, son. URM isn't about living in the ghetto....once again you are misunderstanding the point of it. I swear to God...people don't listen. Even if you lived in the hood and know black people it doesn't change what you are.

I have Egyptian, Sudanese, and Algerian friends who are of Arabic descent and if they came at me on some I'm African-American stuff, I'd be like "No, you are Egyptian-American, Sudanese-American, or Algerian-American." The term African-American was originally made for the descendants of slaves who didn't know where in Africa their families came from...so what do you know America generalized and came up with the term "African"-American because they couldn't tell them what country or tribe their family was from.

If you are from North Africa and you are ARABIC, you are Caucasian. It's easy.

EDIT: But you say you are descendants of the Pharoes, right? Well, then you may very well be Black! :) There is quite amount of evidence that proves that ancient Egyptians were actually Black-Africans...supposedly one of the reasons the Sphinx no longer has its nose. But, if you are Arabic...you probably are NOT the descendant of the Pharoes...just throwing that out there.

Last edited:
Do I have black friends? YES. Do I understand? YES.

having [blank] friends doesn't mean that you understand anything. in fact the statement immediately following the "i have [blank] friends" usually begins with a "but" and is followed up with something offensively generalizing and derogatory against said [blank] group of people.

having [blank] friends doesn't mean that you understand anything. in fact the statement immediately following the "i have [blank] friends" usually begins with a "but" and is followed up with something offensively generalizing and derogatory against said [blank] group of people.

QFT :laugh:

story of my life :lol:

story of my life :lol:

You ever had this conversation?

Them: So what is your ethnicity?
Me: Oh, I'm Puerto Rican.
Them: Oh, really?!? That's awesome! I had a Black (or Mexican/other form of Hispanic) friend back in high school!
Me: *strange look*

I think my favorite may have been:

Me: I'm Puerto Rican
Them: OoOoO so THAT'S what a Puerto Rican looks like.
Me: I guess so...

You ever had this conversation?

Me: Oh, I'm Puerto Rican.
Them: Oh, really?!? That's awesome! I had a Black (or Mexican/other form of Hispanic) friend back in high school!
Me: *strange look*

I think my favorite may have been:

Me: I'm Puerto Rican
Them: OoOoO so THAT'S what a Puerto Rican looks like.
Me: I guess so...
sigh all the time. You should see their faces when they realize I don't speak spanish.

"what... you are hispanic but you don't... wait... you are intelligent? ... so english isn't your second language? and you don't have 2 small children and a drug dealer boyfriend?... my world has turned upside down!" lol

sigh all the time. You should see their faces when they realize I don't speak spanish.

"what... you are hispanic but you don't... wait... you are intelligent? ... so english isn't your second language? and you don't have 2 small children and a drug dealer boyfriend?... my world has turned upside down!" lol

haha well what do you expect at the undergrad you went to? I went there to visit during Parents' Weekend my freshman year of college to see some of my buddies I had met at the Accepted Students Weekend the year before and the people I met were so sheltered. I swear the parents there were scared of me. It was like they had never seen a bunch of Latino and Black kids walking around together before.

haha well what do you expect at the undergrad you went to? I went there to visit during Parents' Weekend my freshman year of college to see some of my buddies I had met at the Accepted Students Weekend the year before and the people I met were so sheltered. I swear the parents there were scared of me. It was like they had never seen a bunch of Latino and Black kids walking around together before.
lol who you telling. They aren't all that bad but there are plenty of people there that make you cringe from their stupidity

Thanks for the replies to my question -- I'll just put down caucasian, then.