• Scariest Story Contest

Now that it's getting close to Halloween, we're running a contest to hear your scariest stories! These can be scary stories that you've experienced or stories that you've heard and the story with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

What exactly are ABSITEs?

valedictorian

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2005
    It's sort of a stupid question. I do know that they're an exam that residents take (yearly maybe) and that are used by programs to decide how well they're doing, academically. But that's all I know. Can anyone tell me more? Who administers the absite? Where and when do you take them? Are they required and if so, for what? etc. What's the skinny on the ABSITEs? Thanks.

Amy

15+ Year Member
    Feb 2, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    1. Attending Physician
      The ABSITE is the American Board of Surgery in-training exam. It's given the last Saturday in January to every surgery resident in the country. You are scored compared to everyone else in your year (i.e. interns get a score based on how they compare to all other interns taking the test). Programs basically use it as way to monitor how we're doing academically. I believe fellowships look at the scores as well to compare applicants. It's a multiple choice exam that lasts all day (not sure exactly how many questions).

There are no stupid questions. ;) But I'm not sure why you're referring to it in the plural... it's one exam. Maybe you're thinking of the board exams for surgery... there's a written and an oral.

About the Ads

FliteSurgn

This space for rent.
      10+ Year Member
      15+ Year Member
      Jul 15, 2003
      1. Attending Physician
        Kimberli Cox said:
        I can't recall the official time limit but its definitely more than 4 hrs - we usually start at 0730 and I don't think anyone has be asked to stop before 1430 or so.
        You better check because your program could get in trouble if they're letting people take longer than the allowed time. Besides, it isn't fair to the other programs that follow the rules. The official limit is 5 hours, beginning at 0800 and ending at 1300. My guess at 4 hours was pretty close, but I had to look this up to find the exact limit since I was always long gone by then (I've always been a fast test taker). Either way, that averages out to more than a minute per question.

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
        Moderator Emeritus
        Verified Expert
        Apr 9, 2000
        forums.studentdoctor.net
        1. Attending Physician
          FliteSurgn said:
          You better check because your program could get in trouble if they're letting people take longer than the allowed time. Besides, it isn't fair to the other programs that follow the rules. The official limit is 5 hours, beginning at 0800 and ending at 1300. My guess at 4 hours was pretty close, but I had to look this up to find the exact limit since I was always long gone by then (I've always been a fast test taker). Either way, that averages out to more than a minute per question.

You're probably right - I too tend to be out of there much earlier than the deadline. In hindsight, perhaps the late finishing time is for those who start late (ie, we have several residents who are on call the night before the exam so are allowed to start late). 5 hours sounds about right.

JKP

Black Cloud
          10+ Year Member
          15+ Year Member
          Jan 26, 2004
          1. Resident [Any Field]
            More basic questions...
            What do fellowships look for in applicants' records...
            Medical school grades, board scores, absites, letters of rec...
            What is the process like and would you have any subspecialty specific advice (eg. transplant, hepatobiliary?)
            Thanks!

JKP

Black Cloud
            10+ Year Member
            15+ Year Member
            Jan 26, 2004
            1. Resident [Any Field]
              More basic questions...
              What do fellowships look for in applicants' records...
              Medical school grades, board scores, absites, letters of rec...
              What is the process like and would you have any subspecialty specific advice (eg. transplant, hepatobiliary?)
              Thanks!

About the Ads
              This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
              2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
              5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
              6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              7. This thread is locked.