What exactly are "grand rounds?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sdnsdn

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw a poster today for a session of "grand rounds" that I am interested in attending. Can anyone go to these sessions? Are there many attendees and do they actually visit patients bedside or is it just a lecture?

Members don't see this ad.

Grand rounds is typically a lecture (or two) held weekly by a given department. So, surgeons, internists, anesthesiologists, etc all have their own grand rounds.

At Hopkins, it's usually considered a big honor to present at Grand Rounds; it's the sort of thing that people put on their CVs. Housestaff are normally required to attend, and lots of attendings are usually there, along with a smattering of medical students. If you're lucky, there'll be food in the back.

Have fun,

doepug
MS III, Johns Hopkins

Thanks Doepug!
I'm off to Grand Rounds....

Members don't see this ad :)
In the Harvard hospital system (MGH, BWH, etc.), Grand Rounds are less formal. Although I suppose it'd be a little weird for a non-ID bearing individual to show up routinely, plenty of research fellows, PhDs, technicians attend ... in casual attire.

grand rounds are the hilight of my week...free breakfast and usually an interesting presentation. our grand rounds usually have a good variety of clinicians, researchers (me!), MDs and fellows. often the speaker is someone from our department (case studies, or a certain disease/disorder), but we also bring people in to do presentations that are usually really interesting.

Originally posted by Sweet Tea
grand rounds are the hilight of my week...free breakfast and usually an interesting presentation. our grand rounds usually have a good variety of clinicians, researchers (me!), MDs and fellows. often the speaker is someone from our department (case studies, or a certain disease/disorder), but we also bring people in to do presentations that are usually really interesting.

Sweet Tea, did you change your avatar?

yup-- i decided that a 2-year old cartoon character suited me better than the Princess Bride! :D :D

Where ya been RA? or have I just not been hanging out in pre-allo much recently? :)

Originally posted by Sweet Tea
yup-- i decided that a 2-year old cartoon character suited me better than the Princess Bride! :D :D

Where ya been RA? or have I just not been hanging out in pre-allo much recently? :)

Haven't been in pre-allo for the last few weeks much until this week. The end of the semester brought lots of work among other things.

Just out of curiosity, what does OP actually stand for? I have figured out from context that it refers to the person who started a tread, but what do the letters actually stand for?

Thanks in advance!

bump - why didn't it go to the top when i posted?

Originally posted by arsh
Just out of curiosity, what does OP actually stand for? I have figured out from context that it refers to the person who started a tread, but what do the letters actually stand for?

Thanks in advance!

Original Poster.

WOW - I can't believe I couldn't figure that out - Thanks!

Grand Rounds = free food for me. :)

At my first, which was an M&M (Morbidity and Mortality...which may not technically be "Grand Rounds") I was really getting into the story and was pretty disappointed to learn that the guy died :( I guess that's why they presented his case.