What exactly ARE the ROC requirement(s)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bulgethetwine

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
During my interviews and discussions on this board, much has been made of the ROC requirments. It has also become commonplace to cite the tight regulation of the requirements as cause for comfort when, collectively, we discuss the spectrum of quality of EM programs -- the consensus being that there are few (if any) truly "weak" programs out there compared to, say, internal medicine.

To that end, what exactly ARE these ROC requirments? Where can I learn more about them so that I myself can see how the programs I'm ranking truly stack up against each other, without relying on the (possibly biased) critique of a program director or current resident?

Members don't see this ad.

bulgethetwine said:
During my interviews and discussions on this board, much has been made of the ROC requirments. It has also become commonplace to cite the tight regulation of the requirements as cause for comfort when, collectively, we discuss the spectrum of quality of EM programs -- the consensus being that there are few (if any) truly "weak" programs out there compared to, say, internal medicine.

To that end, what exactly ARE these ROC requirments? Where can I learn more about them so that I myself can see how the programs I'm ranking truly stack up against each other, without relying on the (possibly biased) critique of a program director or current resident?

It's the RRC, dude - 'Residency Review Committee'. Every residency has one. You can find the EM RRC requirements here. There's new changes that have gone into effect this month.

Apollyon said:
It's the RRC, dude - 'Residency Review Committee'. Every residency has one. You can find the EM RRC requirements here. There's new changes that have gone into effect this month.

So, what are the changes, in a nutshell?

Members don't see this ad :)
Apollyon said:
You can find the EM RRC requirements here. There's new changes that have gone into effect this month.

Thanks for that link. After reading the adopted document, I still don't see some of the things I've been looking for. For example, I've been told there are requirements about live births, procedures, etc. Are these requirements explicit anywhere (and if so, where) or are they generic as in "resident must have sufficient exposure to obtain competence in..."?

Thanks and take care,
Jeff

ROC(k) Requirements:

Big hair
Bigger ego
Tight pants (preferably leather, but denim is OK if it's got holes)
Pyrotechnics
Amps that go up to 11

Drug addiction is optional, but a major plus.

WilcoWorld said:
ROC(k) Requirements:

Big hair
Bigger ego
Tight pants (preferably leather, but denim is OK if it's got holes)
Pyrotechnics
Amps that go up to 11

Drug addiction is optional, but a major plus.

Sounds like an SAE... Let's get him in!

Jeff698 said:
Thanks for that link. After reading the adopted document, I still don't see some of the things I've been looking for. For example, I've been told there are requirements about live births, procedures, etc. Are these requirements explicit anywhere (and if so, where) or are they generic as in "resident must have sufficient exposure to obtain competence in..."?

Thanks and take care,
Jeff

Here is the "Model of the Clinical Practice of Emergency Medicine" - at the end, there is a list of the "procedures integral to Emergency Medicine" - from where the hard numbers come from, though, I do not know (ie, 10 vaginal deliveries, one thrombosed hemorrhoid, 3 trachs, and so on).

Apollyon said:
Here is the "Model of the Clinical Practice of Emergency Medicine" - at the end, there is a list of the "procedures integral to Emergency Medicine"

Sweet, thanks!

Take care,
Jeff