Bearie

7+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2009
Status
Medical Student
So I've been getting emails to the effect of arrive at 7.30 and expect to stay until 5. This isn;t how I recall med school interviews!

I imagine there is breakfast and lunch in there but still? How many people do you usually interview with and how long is a typical interview? Are you running from room to room?

Lastly, aside from learning about a program, how exactly do you prepare for residency interviews?

Stellar Clouds

Lightly Seasoned Meat
Jan 8, 2013
Here. There. Everywhere.
Status
Resident [Any Field]
There are some long interview days out there. The usually provide lunch (and sometimes breakfast). There will be presentations about the program. There will also be interviews (anywhere from 2-6) which are often scheduled for about 1/2 an hour each. There is also usually a tour of the hospital as well.

Preparation--just know your application well. If you did research and listed it, make sure you can easily explain it to someone. Be able to answer the usual questions--why [insert specialty here]? why this program (especially if you are from another part of the country)? Always have a fair number of questions that you can ask interviewers, because you will get--"do you have any questions about the program?"

physicsnerd42

10+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
What I have experienced (but might be specialty dependent): Breakfast, +/- grand rounds/morning report, intro from program director, a couple of interviews, lunch with residents, a tour.

Know your application and be prepared to talk about anything in there. Read about the program. Have questions prepared because you will be asked "do you have any questions?" about 20 times during the interview day.

SouthernSurgeon

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Arrive 7:30
7:30-8:00 Continental breakfast, logistics/overview of day from program coordinator
8:00-8:30 Standard "we're so awesome" speech from chairman
8:30-9:00 Standard "we're so awesome, here's a tiny bit more detail" speech from PD
9:00-9:30 Standard "we're so awesome, AND we do lots of research" speech from Asst PD
9:30-9:45 Break
9:45-11:30 Half the group goes on tour, other half does interviews. Lots of sitting around time in a conference room in between interviews
11:30-1:00 Lunch
1:30-3:30 Other half of group does tours, other half interviews
3:30-4:00 Wrap up/Sign contract with PC
Rinse, repeat, add in optional M&M/grand rounds.

OP
B

Bearie

7+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Statement saying that you got a copy of the contract to review already should you match there.
sorry, i still don't understand. they give us a contract to sign on interview day?

POW16

10+ Year Member
May 26, 2009
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
No. It's an acknowledgement that you received a copy of the contract.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

OP
B

Bearie

7+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2009
Status
Medical Student
what contract and when do we receive it? sorry

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2000
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status
Attending Physician
what contract and when do we receive it? sorry
Relax.

ACGME Programs are required to show you a copy of the contract you would sign *IF* you matched to that program; at sometime during the interview day, you are asked to sign that a copy of the contract was made available to you to review. You are not signing a contract.

Reactions: IMPD

Bacchus

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
And if you're real lucky, you'll sign the nicotine abstinence statement as well! :rolleyes:

I had a very long interview (8-5) which included a 1.5 hour community tour of a midwestern PA town, complete with lookout and binoculars.