What exactly happens on Sep 15?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abyz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Apologize in advance for the length of this message but am rly hoping for some clarification on a few things...

Can someone please clarify what to expect on Sep 15 with regards to ERAS? Is it such that a "certify" or "submit" or "apply"button will magically appear at the end of the application starting at 9 AM? It seems like "certify and submit" is different from "applying to programs." If so, then are those processes that can happen within minutes of each other or does the certifying process take hours/days?

Is there a way to make the payment for the apps beforehand or can that only be done starting on Sep 15 9 AM?
A classmate mentioned to me that there's a way to queque up the ERAS application such that on Sep 15 it would be automatically released to programs by ERAS...is this true? From what I have read on ERAS, it seems like I still need to log onto ERAS on Sep 15 and take some sort of action.

Also does anyone know why the MSPE is released Oct 1 yet apps can be submitted Sep 15? I have heard that some PDs download apps right away on Sep 15 but it doesn't make sense to me why they would want to do so prematurely without having the MSPE available?

Am I correct in thinking that a PD who downloads my application right away on the 15th won't actually have immediate access to my USMLE transcript because ERAS still needs to send the transcript request to the NBME and that request probably takes 2-3 days to process, no?

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

From what I've been able to deduce so far, I'm expecting something to this effect:

Hi,

Apologize in advance for the length of this message but am rly hoping for some clarification on a few things...

Can someone please clarify what to expect on Sep 15 with regards to ERAS? Is it such that a "certify" or "submit" or "apply"button will magically appear at the end of the application starting at 9 AM? It seems like "certify and submit" is different from "applying to programs." If so, then are those processes that can happen within minutes of each other or does the certifying process take hours/days?

Is there a way to make the payment for the apps beforehand or can that only be done starting on Sep 15 9 AM?
A classmate mentioned to me that there's a way to queque up the ERAS application such that on Sep 15 it would be automatically released to programs by ERAS...is this true? From what I have read on ERAS, it seems like I still need to log onto ERAS on Sep 15 and take some sort of action.

Also does anyone know why the MSPE is released Oct 1 yet apps can be submitted Sep 15? I have heard that some PDs download apps right away on Sep 15 but it doesn't make sense to me why they would want to do so prematurely without having the MSPE available?

Am I correct in thinking that a PD who downloads my application right away on the 15th won't actually have immediate access to my USMLE transcript because ERAS still needs to send the transcript request to the NBME and that request probably takes 2-3 days to process, no?

Thanks so much!

I can tell you what our school does for thier family medicine program. Basically they download applications from everyone submitted sept. 15 and start to comb through them but not right away. The PD will do it on the weekend. First come first serve in terms of how they evaluate applications that's all I know.

With regards to the MSPE it is not the most important piece of info. From my understanding they use the Category A criteria to filter applications - Step scores M3 clinical grades. The MSPE is probably Category B or C? From one of the posts I've read here some carribean medical school dean's letter are not so stellar? So the MSPE is really not that important its a re-hash of your CV with comments from clerkship especially if your school does a very poor job with it. My school doesn't even include comments from electives, sub-I, etc. Also your MSPE tells people if you failed / gap year etc. which is also mentioned in ERAS

Apparently last year's ERAS did have some sort of delay/crash. So yeah there's that. I'm sure eventually everyone who is ready to submit on sept.15 will be able to do so - just have to make time for a potential delay and you won't get to submit exactly when you want. It sucks but life is not always a cake walk.

Just make sure everything is ready by Sept. 15. HOpe that helped

Last edited: