SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

what exactly is a committee letter?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by streetdoc, Jun 15, 2002.

1. streetdoc

streetdoc Senior Member 10+ Year Member

May 13, 2002
    The Tundra
    can anyone tell me what a committee LOR is? is it just where all your science profs get together and write one big letter or is it many different letters?
    my school was really small and we did not have a committee, but my advisor said they could write any kind of letter i needed. so which is best? a committee letter or what?
    i'm a bit confused over this. thanks for the help
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. SMW

SMW Grand Member 7+ Year Member

Jul 12, 2001
    anchorage, ak
    If your school does not have a committee specifically set up to write a committee letter (which is a composite letter created from individual recommendations letters submitted to the committee), then you can just go ahead and submit your individual LOR's to each medschool when they request them (generally along with the secondary application). Different schools have different requirements about how many letters and how they should be distributed (2 science and 1 non-science is typical, but one school I recall asked for a humanities prof, and another specified bio, chem, physics, and humanities). Hopefully your school has a letter service which will collect all the letters for you (you should waive your right to see them, med schools prefer confidential LOR's) and send them out as you need them sent.