What exactly is a 'science' LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Long_John

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anybody help me with this classification
When they ask for an LOR to be written by a 'science' professor do they refer to a teacher who taught a BPCM classified course or are they referring to a teacher who taught only a hard science course (physics, chem, bio)?
I want to get a letter of rec from my math professor and don't know whether they will consider him a 'science' professor. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure that a recc from a math teacher wouldn't satisfy the "science" recc requirement. But, to be sure- don't count on my opinion, call up a med school admissions office (that you would likely apply to) and just ask them ;) !

Long_John said:
I want to get a letter of rec from my math professor and don't know whether they will consider him a 'science' professor. thanks

Sorry, but that's not a science letter. You dont have a choice - you have to get at least one letter from a prof that is clearly a science professor (and no, political science doesnt count :laugh: )

Members don't see this ad :)
I used engineering faculty for my science recs, since I was a biomedical engineering major. My pre-med advisor said it would be alright since, and I didn't get any complaints from schools about it.

So does social science fall under the non-science category too (i.e psychology)?

leverp2000 said:
So does social science fall under the non-science category too (i.e psychology)?
Yes.