What exactly is Analytical Chemistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anna02

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My course catalog says that it "includes sampling, treatment of data, wet methods of analysis..." What is that stuff[wet methods of analysis??] and what exactly does analytical chem entail?

Thanks
Anna

Members don't see this ad.

i don't know what wet methods are, but analytical chemistry mainly focuses on using instruments to analyze compounds. e.g. nmr, fluorimetry, gc, ms, etc... you learn about the theory of the instruments and usually spend a lot of time in the lab learning about how to use them and how to identify different compounds.

Oh I see. Thank you. So is this a difficult class?

Members don't see this ad :)
here analytical means lots and lots of titrating - acids and bases and color indicated rxns. We spent time going over buffers, back titrations and made a lot of stock solutions with pH ranges. NMR, Atomic Abs., UV, IR, GCMS were all covered in a seperate course called "Instrumental analysis."

well, it probably depends on where you take it. i would not say it is a difficult class if you have a chemistry background. unfortunately, my grade in it lowered my bcmp gpa :(, but that's because my professor sucked. it was the only lab class i took in college that actually had enjoyable/interesting labs. we did fun stuff like analyzing the caffeine content in various sodas. as for the treatment of data, sampling aspect -- they're probably talking about taking several samples and averaging results and using basic statistics when reporting results.

With only gen chem I and II under my belt, would it be advisable to take analytical chem next fall?

you'd really be best talking to someone at your school who has taken the class. at my school, that wouldn't have been advisable. it was a junior/senior level chem course mainly for chem majors only.

Lola-
I will definitely talk to someone at the school I will be transferring to. I am currently a biology major and would like to switch to biochemistry.. I will be a sophomore next fall, but will be a junior by the spring. Analytical is only offered in the fall, so either I take it then or else wait a whole year. But, I'm trying to finish up my degree in 2 1/2 more years so I really need to start tackling these upper level courses. Thanks for your help. My best bet is to talk with my advisor this summer when I go for orientation.
Anna