• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

ClemsonRunner

10+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2006
SC
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hey all..on Friday I was sitting in one of my seminar ethics classes and the idea of gene doping was introduced. I was wondering what everybody's opinion is. For those of you who are unsure as to what this exactly is, you can go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_doping
An interesting point that was addressed in my class was how is gene doping any different from all of the technology that is currently used in sport (high altitude training, specific clothes, etc)? I don't think that it should be allowed in sport....there is a therapy versus enhancement argument that underlies this thought (although what exactly is therapy and what exactly is enhancement- how do you draw the line?). I feel that if something is not medically warranted, it should not be used. But then I guess how is that any different from the thousands of people who get cosmetic surgery? hm.....just something to think about!:idea:

pyrois

10+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2006
Berkeley, CA
Status (Visible)
There are many different types of ethics. Justice ethics (all people treated equally/fairly), Duty ethics (upholding personal and professional responsibilities), then there are the Prima Facie Priorities.

Really it's all quite complicated. True ethical behavior has been a hot topic of philosophical discussion for a long time. It's one of those "roundabout" arguments that, in the end, acts on a case-by-case basis.

number77

10+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
The farthest I've ever gone was taking flinstones vitamins :laugh: . The farthest I'd reasonably expect a competitor to go would be a protein bar. Anything past that is cheating to me (well, even a protein bar is cheating to me, but I won't give anyone grief for using them).

coffeebythelake

Supreme Commander Anesthesiologist
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2006
Cleveland
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I think that your underlying intentions determine what is ethical or unethical. If the purpose of taking a drug is to gain an unfair advantage over competitors then this is unethical. But if you took the same drug to help alleviate arthritis (or whatever), and its unknown side effect boosted performance, I would think differently.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.