What exactly makes a residency competitive??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

informme

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are many factors in the works, but I was wondering what made a residency competitive.

Is it the pay? The quality of doctors in the vicinity? The location (Sunshine and beaches)?

Members don't see this ad.

Compensation, name, and location pretty much.

Members don't see this ad :)
what do you mean by lifestyle??

Like, general surgeon works way too much, while a dermatologist has a relatively easy lifestyle where he has time to devote to his personal life.

sunshine and beaches

Mostly money and probably status as well. A neurosurgeon works too much, a lot more than a dermatologist, yet neurosurgeon is still a pretty hot residency area.
Also, asian parents as well. They just want to gloat to their brothers/sisters/neighbors that they gave birth to a neurosurgeon :lol:

Mostly money and probably status as well. A neurosurgeon works too much, a lot more than a dermatologist, yet neurosurgeon is still a pretty hot residency area.
Also, asian parents as well. They just want to gloat to their brothers/sisters/neighbors that they gave birth to a neurosurgeon :lol:

Or gave birth to a doctor, period.:p

Ditto for the beaches...

I would think location and lifestyle would be the biggest factors.

There may also be other favors like the diversity of the hospital. Do they want all the crazy cases of a highly populated city like Dallas, Tx?

Once they are MDs, it really just depends on how much ambition they have left.

um, im confused. Are you talking about the actual specialties (derm vs family practice) or the specific residencies (derm at mgh vs derm at minnesota)?

if the former, i imagine it's mostly lifestyle, money and prestige.

If the latter, it has to do with location (sunshine and beaches vs cold and rain), notoriety of the program, whether there's a particular guy everyone wants to work with (contributes to notoriety i guess, how many nights youre on call and what kind of call it is (how many patients you tend to get slammed with), certain preferable patient populations, reputation with fellowship programs, and reputation of being a nice, chill residency with nice people or a really malignant one.