What extra Science courses to take before the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cozmokrmr

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there anyone that has taken the MCAT already that can reccommend what other science classes to take besides the prereqs? Any classes you wished you had taken and would have helped you (i.e. biochem, physio, etc.)
I'm a post bacc. and trying to decide if I want to take genetics before the mcat. Would it help?

Members don't see this ad.

cozmokrmr said:
Is there anyone that has taken the MCAT already that can reccommend what other science classes to take besides the prereqs? Any classes you wished you had taken and would have helped you (i.e. biochem, physio, etc.)
I'm a post bacc. and trying to decide if I want to take genetics before the mcat. Would it help?

There's alot of Genetics on the MCAT. That would be a good class to take before it.

cher25 said:
There's alot of Genetics on the MCAT. That would be a good class to take before it.

I agree with the genetics. Although, you don't "need" to take anything else, it doesn't hurt to take extra classes. I wouldn't do it just for the sake of the MCAT, though.

Well, I can only go from my experience, but... I hadn't even finished bio 2 when I took the MCAT and I did awesome on the BS.. my advice to you is to study the material that AMCAS tells you to study. Do lots of practice tests. Save genetics for after the MCAT. Take the MCAT as soon as you have finished your pre-reqs so that it is still fresh.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm taking genetics right now in summer school and I wish that I had taken it before the MCAT.

another vote for genetics. Physiology was a big help too.

I took biochem and physiology and they were both big helps, especially physiology. If I had to choose another course to take, it would have been genetics. MCAT genetics are pretty basic but it's always good to have a solid foundation of knowledge going into it.

My vote would go for:

1. Biochemistry
2. Cell biology or microbiology
3. Physiology
4. Genetics

I think any of the first three will be way more helpful on the MCAT than genetics. There is always genetics on the MCAT but it really doesn't rise above the level they taught us in biology class.

my god, people, TAKE PHYSIOLOGY!!! its like a bio buffet--some immuno, some endocrine, some respiratory/CV, some neuro/muscles....yummy!!!

just my opinion, but after going through the ordeal, i think the praise given to taking biochem classes is quite overated. so what if you have one passage on the krebs cycle? if you need to take biochem to understand the krebs cycle, enjoy becoming a chiropractor.

also, especially if you're a science major (i'm bio), take at least one philosophy class--it really sharpens the ol' reading skills (the most important thing for the MCAT).

much luck, everyone! :luck: :luck:

Put it this way....If I would have taken Physiology before I took the exam last august, I am willing to bet a great deal of money that I would not be retaking this august.
Personally, I felt Latin has helped a lot (well etymology..) But I wouldn'y recoomend taking it just for the sake of the MCAT.
Oh, and so far on practice exams biochemistry 220 and 320 have helped...but not as much as physiology.