What factors are you using (or should you use) when deciding between multiple acceptances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

echidna001

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I was wondering what you took or are taking into account when deciding between multiple schools. Opinions from faculty/physicians regarding the most important things to consider would be appreciated as well. In my case, cost is very similar (over all 4 years, I think one may end up being ~10-15K more expensive). Neither are "top" schools, so I highly doubt a US News research rank in the 60's versus 80's really matters. The following are the things I'm currently considering in making my choice:

1) Step 1 scores/pass rate (this info seems hard to find)
2) Residency placement (although I think this is pretty even)
3) Location (this is a big one for me even though I feel it shouldn't be - I really like one city, the other not so much)
4) Strength of clinical years
5) Grading system (H/P/F versus A/B/C/D/F)
6) New school versus Old school mentality (Hard to explain; one has some faculty from more of that militaristic mindset of "we'll break you down to build you up again")
7) Full cadaver anatomy lab versus "body segment" dissections
8) Teaching quality and curriculum over the first 2 years
9) Organization/structure of the first 2 years
10) Diversity of the school, city and the patient population
11) Student happiness - collaboration versus competition
12) Research opportunities (and will the school aid you in finding research)
13) My personal support system
14) Networking Opportunities (i.e. I already know some physicians and residents rather well in one location so I have a foundation in place)
15) Big name physicians for future LORs (I was told to take this into account, but I don't really know how to go about determining this information)
16) Extra circulars (student run clinics, interest groups, volunteering - and more importantly, will you have the time?)
17) LGBT friendliness of both the school and the city (personally important)
18) Probation history (neither are currently, not sure if a history of being on probation matters-one school will have to go through LCME accreditation while I'm there, one will not-I am not sure if that's important either)

If any of you think any of the items on my list are not that important, I'd certainly appreciate that opinion. It's just almost turning into a debate between where I would be happiest and most comfortable versus where I think I would obtain the better education (at least over the first 2 years). I'm so grateful to be in the position to make this decision, but it's a hard one!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Factors to look at. $$$.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all!

I was wondering what you took or are taking into account when deciding between multiple schools. Opinions from faculty/physicians regarding the most important things to consider would be appreciated as well. In my case, cost is very similar (over all 4 years, I think one may end up being ~10-15K more expensive). Neither are "top" schools, so I highly doubt a US News research rank in the 60's versus 80's really matters. The following are the things I'm currently considering in making my choice:

1) Step 1 scores/pass rate (this info seems hard to find)
2) Residency placement (although I think this is pretty even)

3) Location (this is a big one for me even though I feel it shouldn't be - I really like one city, the other not so much)
4) Strength of clinical years
5) Grading system (H/P/F versus A/B/C/D/F)
6) New school versus Old school mentality (Hard to explain; one has some faculty from more of that militaristic mindset of "we'll break you down to build you up again")
7) Full cadaver anatomy lab versus "body segment" dissections
8) Teaching quality and curriculum over the first 2 years
9) Organization/structure of the first 2 years

10) Diversity of the school, city and the patient population
11) Student happiness - collaboration versus competition
12) Research opportunities (and will the school aid you in finding research)
13) My personal support system
14) Networking Opportunities (i.e. I already know some physicians and residents rather well in one location so I have a foundation in place)
15) Big name physicians for future LORs (I was told to take this into account, but I don't really know how to go about determining this information)
16) Extra circulars (student run clinics, interest groups, volunteering - and more importantly, will you have the time?)
17) LGBT friendliness of both the school and the city (personally important)
18) Probation history (neither are currently, not sure if a history of being on probation matters-one school will have to go through LCME accreditation while I'm there, one will not-I am not sure if that's important either)

If any of you think any of the items on my list are not that important, I'd certainly appreciate that opinion. It's just almost turning into a debate between where I would be happiest and most comfortable versus where I think I would obtain the better education (at least over the first 2 years). I'm so grateful to be in the position to make this decision, but it's a hard one!

This is definitely an example of the blind leading the blind, but I don't think the bolded are important. Step 1/Residency has far more to do with you than the school, the preclinical years don't really matter much in the long run, and the others are simply too minor to make a difference.

OP said it was a marginal difference in cost so that isn't a concern.

OP is talking cost of tuition. $$$ = everything, cost of living. Boston cost's a lot more then Detroit.

OP is talking cost of tuition. $$$ = everything, cost of living. Boston cost's a lot more then Detroit.

Cost of living is very comparable, if not the same. One is in a much bigger city with amazing cost of living for it's size. The other is a far smaller "college town like" environment. Being a non-trad, this is not particularly appealing to me. So the best bang for your buck is definitely the bigger city. You just get access to more restaurants, parks, culture and events here. I could probably find better housing closer to campus in the smaller city, but I really don't mind living about 20 minutes away (I may change my tune later on). I currently live in the bigger city, so I wouldn't necessarily have to move which would be nice.

I will say, one school has a tuition guarantee; you lock this in your first year. The other does not. But with assuming tuition raising by 2-3K yearly, that's where my 10-15K difference comes from. Money is money, but I think this is pretty marginal in the grand scheme of things.

And thank you, zedsdead, for those bolded suggestions! I know one university simply has better instruction and organization the first 2 years. But the other school (in the bigger city) hands down has the more diverse clinical experience with a busier level 1 trauma center and a children's hospital with a level 1 pediatric trauma center. There are also multiple other hospitals involved in your rotations whereas in the smaller city you're either at the University hospital or the VA.

1. COA
2. Support network
3. Goals (Academic center versus community hospital affiliation)
4. Curriculum (P/F and length of basic science years)
5. Prestige of faculty for residency LOR
6. Flexibility in curriculum
7. Location (city/suburbs/rural)
8. Administration reputation in student's education

Reactions: 1 user
How do you evaluate the "Prestige of faculty for residency LOR"? Like if I went onto a med school's faculty page, how would I begin to determine that?

1. COA
2. Support network
3. Goals (Academic center versus community hospital affiliation)
4. Curriculum (P/F and length of basic science years)
5. Prestige of faculty for residency LOR
6. Flexibility in curriculum
7. Location (city/suburbs/rural)
8. Administration reputation in student's education

I wondering that as well. I have heard from multiple physicians that faculty prestige can play a factor. If a physician is well known and you're able to obtain a LOR from them, this could help with residency placement. So I've been told.

I wondering that as well. I have heard from multiple physicians that faculty prestige can play a factor. If a physician is well known and you're able to obtain a LOR from them, this could help with residency placement. So I've been told.
It really isn't the LOR, but the overall reputation of the school, and the actual phone calls that go on in the background about who to interview.

Last edited: