1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

What factors do you consider when answering "Why this school??"

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by strawberifields, Aug 4, 2011.

1. strawberifields

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    hey yall, need some more wisdom :)

as I'm writing out some secondary essays and preparing for inevitable interview questions, I've had a recurring doubt. we all know that a lot more than academic reputation, research money, facilities, etc goes into our interest in a particular school, but what factors do you deem appropriate to actually share with the school? in a secondary, for ex, do they care if I am attracted to the geographic location or 8-12 class time schedule? or are these the kinds of things I keep to myself as I praise them on their fantastic research opps?

what factors do you write about when telling a school why they're the one for you?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Web MD

Web MD Doctor of the Internets
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'd try to be as school specific as possible, talking about reasearch, how they set up their curriculum, feel you got from interviewing/touring there/talking with students, and other extra curricular opportunities offered by the school are pretty solid IMO. If the school has a unique philosophy/mission statement maybe tie that in too if you actually believe it

4. Application Doc

Application Doc ojos doc
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    It's definitely great advice to be as specific as possible. However, don't give a laundry list of specific things about the school. Be selective.

Also, don't re-word the essay from start to finish for each school. Change only the things you have to in order for it to sound personal. Med school rewards efficiency. It's not too early to start!

#4 Application Doc, Aug 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2011
  5. circulus vitios

7+ Year Member

Regurgitate the school's mission statement.

6. n3xa

n3xa "the anchor"
    7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]

I focused on research and outreach opportunities available to students, making sure to tie in my experiences to explain why I would be a great fit for the school's program.

7. hellocubed

Medical Student
    How do you know about research opportunities at the schools?

For example: Tulane

The website explains research that is going on, but nothing specific of what student opportunities are.
    http://tulane.edu/research/index.cfm

The MSAR says nothing

SDN says nothing~

8. n3xa

n3xa "the anchor"
    7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]

Am I the only one that literally used the search function on each medical school's website? I did just that on Tulane's site using the URL you posted and came up with a bit of info, so it exists.

9. hellocubed

Medical Student
    ah, there is a search feature

needless to say I am poor with computers. Thanks

10. dippindots

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    One thing that I've found very helpful is searching old SDN threads where accepted students are trying to decide between 2 schools. They usually outline very specific pros and cons which you could highlight in your "why us" essays (well, maybe not the cons).

11. AZFutureDoc

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    That is an excellent idea.

12. chronicidal

chronicidal Scrub
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Unfortunately many accepted students extol nebulous qualities like a friendly/relaxed/diverse/smart student body or a good feeling at the interview.