What Factors to Consider when Choosing 1st Away Elective?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

het het

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys- I am just wondering what factors (other than dates/scheduling and location) should one consider when choosing a 1st away elective rotation in Ophtho?

Specifically, I am wondering if I should pursue an away rotation at a top-tier institution just to get a "big name/big insutition" letter vs. getting a letter from a normal medium-tier medical program? I am wondering how big of an influence such a letter would have on my application overall?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

In reality it's pretty hard to get a letter from someone after doing an away rotation. I know it because I've been in your shoes. As a med student, you're mostly shadowing, and it's just hard to make a good impression just by shadowing. Also, the interpersonal dynamics at an away rotation is so that it's pretty awkward to ask for a letter. It's like going on a first date with someone and at the end of the date asking that person if they can tell your next first-date person how awesome you are. Awkward.

If you do get a letter by doing an away rotation, the letter readers will know that the letter is based on not much other than shadowing.

The purpose of an away rotation is/should be to get to know the decisionmakers at that institution, not to get a letter.

You can do multiple rotations if time allows. You can do it at a "dream program" (location, prestige, etc) and also at a "realistic" program. Be on your best behavior and be nice to everyone, even the person you stand next to at the bus stop.

I don't mean to argue- but isn't what you described above the same for any LOR in general? Even at your home instituion really- the process of obtaining a LOR is very similar to what you describe above?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't mean to argue- but isn't what you described above the same for any LOR in general? Even at your home instituion really- the process of obtaining a LOR is very similar to what you describe above?

At your home institution, you should ideally have a longer and more established relationship. Months as opposed to 4 weeks. With your home institution mentors you may have worked on research projects, attended grand rounds, run into them in the cafeteria, etc. Your home institution also has an incentive for its own medical students to feel supported and to match because it reflects on them.

The applicants I know who attained LORs from aways did some sort of research project that either started before or continued after the 4 week away. Regardless, I strongly recommend doing aways because it tells you about the real atmosphere of a program and gives you better perspective of what you want in a program which is important in the interview season. Just don't expect to get a great LOR for showing up every day.

Hey all, question here. If I do an away rotation, and do NOT obtain a LOR from that site, would that raise a red flag?

If one did a lot of aways, wouldn't that be too many LORs?

Also, I wouldn't want to add a generic LOR for the sake of having it and dilute the other LORs.

Finally, what do you think of doing multiple aways at the same institution? Some places have two sites for their rotation, perhaps this would help getting a better LOR. Thanks!

Hey all, question here. If I do an away rotation, and do NOT obtain a LOR from that site, would that raise a red flag?

If one did a lot of aways, wouldn't that be too many LORs?

Also, I wouldn't want to add a generic LOR for the sake of having it and dilute the other LORs.

Finally, what do you think of doing multiple aways at the same institution? Some places have two sites for their rotation, perhaps this would help getting a better LOR. Thanks!

If you do an away rotation and do NOT obtain a LOR, it will NOT raise any red flags.

To your last point, if you do multiple away rotations at another institution it will probably increase your chances of matching at that place marginally. My only fear is that it could potentially indicate to other programs (especially in other parts of the country and maybe even your home program) that you are not that interested in said other programs which could hurt your overall chances of matching. This totally depends on you as an applicant, where you go to medical school, and what institution we are talking about. If you don't have a home program, I don't think this would be a big deal at all.

Immunology- I totallly understand your point. But I wonder- what advice would you then give to a student who does not have an home ophtho program or can not complete an elective rotation at his/her home program? Wouldn't it be a good option to do an away and attempt to obtain a letter from an academic Ophtho vs. doing something like simple private practice ophtho shadowing?

Immunology- I totallly understand your point. But I wonder- what advice would you then give to a student who does not have an home ophtho program or can not complete an elective rotation at his/her home program? Wouldn't it be a good option to do an away and attempt to obtain a letter from an academic Ophtho vs. doing something like simple private practice ophtho shadowing?

I personally had a home program, so I can't speak with a whole lot of authority about matching without one. If I didn't have a home program, I would first contact the upperclassmen from my medical school who matched and pick their brain about the process. I wouldn't wait until my June away to start working on relationships with other academic ophthalmologists. I would start it as soon as possible before the aways with a goal of getting 2 academic ophtho LORs (outside institution definitely OK) but it would also be fine to get only 1 ophtho LOR. I know many people who matched with only 1 ophtho letter.

BTW, someone brought up red flags earlier. I think not completing an ophtho elective at your home program (assuming you have one) would be a bit of a red flag. Maybe I'm wrong. If its a scheduling issue, I would meet with your dean of students about it. They will understand that ophtho is an early match and can make adjustments.