What field of medicine do you THINK you want to practice?

box29

Keep on keepin' on Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 10, 2002
Status
Attending Physician
I know that things change and when people think they want to go into IM or Rads or etc., they eventually find some other field of medicine that they didn't even think they could see themselves practicing. So, with that said,

What field of medicine are you intially interested in and THINK you want to practice?

Me: IM, sub ID

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2003
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
box29 said:
I know that things change and when people think they want to go into IM or Rads or etc., they eventually find some other field of medicine that they didn't even think they could see themselves practicing. So, with that said,

What field of medicine are you intially interested in and THINK you want to practice?

Me: IM, sub ID

I want to go in to pediatric opthalmology.

Its a mouthfull :laugh:

box29

Keep on keepin' on Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 10, 2002
Status
Attending Physician
You said it! :laugh:

About the Ads

Robz

La Vie Boheme
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2003
Drinking Texas Tea
Status
Resident [Any Field]
The more and more I look at my debt and the way some primary care physicians are heading, I kinda shutter away from PC.

Here is my thoughts at the moment.

Peds oncology
Med/Peds
EM

bjolly

15+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2003
Baltimore
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm planning on either neuro or IM (possibly endocrinology or rheumatology if I go the IM route).

drbrowneyes

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2004
Danville, VA
Visit site
Status
Well, I thought of Emergency Medicine or Internal Medicine. But I also have an interest in Research Medicine.... Then recently, I heard about primary care for special needs patients....So now, I feel like a freshman in college all over again. :rolleyes:

HooahDOc

15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
Orthopedic Surgery
General Surgery w/ Trauma/SCC fellowship
Emergency Medicine
Psychiatry with Consult-Liaison fellowship

Currently Investigating: Anesthesia.

About the Ads

DOtobe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2000
Pittsburgh, PA
www.myspace.com
Status
Attending Physician
I've gone from peds --> IM (endocrine) --> family medicine --> IM (endocrine) --> and back to family med. I'm now pretty much 100% sure that I will be applying for FP this year.

AshDO

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2004
Philadelphia
Visit site
Status
I've always leaned towards pediatrics..but now I am more interested in possibly specializing..either pediatric reconstructive surgery or pediatric orthopedics..we'll see :p

DocRadak

Lovin my life
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2004
Bradenton, FL
Status
It always seems to change for me, so here is the transition states I've been through:

Anesthesiology --> Cardiology --> Plastic Surgery --> Family Practice --> General Surgery --> and now back to Anesthesiology

It seems to be changing all the time, so we'll see.

---Ryan

D

deleted9493

Anesthesiology or pulmonology. The more likely of the two being anesthesiology...as I could do a critical care fellowship and concomitantly have my hands in the ICU and OR settings.

bessybug

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2003
planet earth
Visit site
Status
Pre-Medical
I have four choices ordered form most favorite to least favorite.

1. Orthopedic Surgery
2. Otolaryngology
3. Interventional Radiology
4. Thoracic Surgery

These are my favorites can't really see myself doing anything else.

About the Ads

DireWolf

The Pride of Cucamonga
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2003
Timbers of Fennario
Status
Attending Physician
Just thought I would hi-jack this thread for one second. The responses so far are what I expected. The days of osteopathic medicine being geared towards family practice are just about over. This is obviously a very small sample size and DO schools still produce a good number of fp docs; but this seems to mirror the general trend of osteopathic medical students focusing more on specialization. I just hope schools will finally admit this trend and change their curriculums accordingly.

btw, I'm interested in specializing, just not sure which one yet.

stoic

"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted"
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2000
sodom, south georgia
I've pretty much always been interested in either Family Practice or Emergency Medicine (leaning more towards FP).

Currently I'm thinking rural family practice and w/some rural ER moonlighting thrown in a few times a month.

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
1. Emergency Medicine
2. Sports Medicine
3. Pediatrics

or some combination of all 3!

WillowRose

hot mama-yama
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2003
Stuck in the middle with you
Visit site
Status
Let's see....what do I want to be *this week*? This is a bit difficult for me because I would like to remain in a rural or at least small town area. (Though, I'd prefer not to be so far out in the sticks that I can't shop! LOL)

Peds has always interested me, so that remains one of my top choices. Add to that: possible IM subspecialty (maybe rheumatology or infectious disease), pathology, anesthesiology, hell...I don't really know. I'm trying to go into school with an open mind. I'm almost certain I don't want to do surgery or psychiatry, but other than that....

Oh and palliative medicine sounds rather intriguing too...

Willow

PublicHealth

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2003
Visit site
Status
It's good to know that so many future DOs are going into primary care. :laugh:

Guess the cost of tuition at DO schools can take its toll :eek:

About the Ads

gr8n

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2004
Status
I have my heart set on Surgery;
I want to practice:
General/endovascular surgery or,
neurological surgery w/o the general surgery (won't have time for the general)...

gr8n
LECOM-Bradenton
c/o 2008

Buckeye(OH)

5K+ Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2004
Toledo, Ohio
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Assuming I get in somewhere when I apply, definately Heme/Onc, my research in this area has really kind of made up my mind for me.

Adrian

DaveinDallas

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2004
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Difficult question:

A large part of me wants to be the old country Doc with the little black bag that gets the phone calls in the middle of the night and rolls out making a housecall. So I guess that's family practice which is also a good place for OMT.

Another part is absolutely fascinated with neurology. Good stuff.

After I got a chance to watch one work (at least right up until going into the surgery room) orthopedic surgeon.

And finally, the adrenaline junkie in me is thinking ER.

DireWolf

The Pride of Cucamonga
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2003
Timbers of Fennario
Status
Attending Physician
taylor92107 said:
Anyone interested in pathology? If so, why.
I am seriously considering scheduling an elective rotation in pathology. I'm not sure if I'll like the autopsies, but the other stuff seems cool as hell. I liked histology and would probably enjoy looking at frozens all day. A pathologist is the doctor's doctor.

WillowRose

hot mama-yama
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2003
Stuck in the middle with you
Visit site
Status
I'm thinking of doing an elective in pathology as well. Not sure why it appeals to me--maybe it's the mystery of figuring out cause of death or the "excitement" of looking at slides! LOL

I did that online personality thingie that is supposed to tell you what specialty would suit you and apparently, my ideal patient is either crazy or dead!! Hmm...wonder what that says about me????

Willow

EvoDevo

Forging a Different Path
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2003
Crazy Town
Status
Attending Physician
Well, I think I'm going to like surgery, but I'm also interested in treating cancer...soooooo, who knows?

I've seen something like 20 surgeries of all types, and I have to say that it's fascinating. :)

DrDad

DO Stud. '08
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2003
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Visit site
Status
who would want to be a proctologist.....?????

anyway.... I want to be an Family Practice doc.... and an AME.... and a Med Missionary most of all!!!

Prozach

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2004
Albany, NY
Visit site
Status
First post here! :clap: I only recently got into a cooperative, early assurance program with NYCOM, so it's still kind of early, not having had any significant clinical exposure. That being said, right now I'm debating between clinical medicine and more research-oriented approaches. If I were to do clinical medicine it would definately be psychiatry, neurology or something else along those lines. If I decided against clinical practice, I would do international health and epidemiology.

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
I heard from certain medical school officials that they often hear that a large percentage of applications want to be a medical missionary.

When it all pans out, very very few actually do.

Reasons include: little to money, risk of disease, terrorism, lack of resources, etc.

Also, what about those of you with children or who will have some at that time----what do you do with them? Leave them with grandparents? You certainly aren't going to bring them are you?

These are things to think about.

Those of you that still want to do this---and I've heard many people say so, what is your opinion, and what do you think you can do to ensure it will work?

Once upon a time, I thought about doing it, but I decided against it.

skb21

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2003
Visit site
Status
Right now, I'm leaning towards ortho, but I am also considering Family Practice with a fellowship in Sports Medicine.

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
I was thinking about doing sports medicine via the emergency medicine route.

I know that most fellowships allow IM, FP, EM, or PEDS to get into the fellowship, although some are more limited. I also hear they are very competitive, and take very few applicants. I suppose you have to have connections.

skb21

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2003
Visit site
Status
The connections you have are probably a big key in getting into any residency. I work with an orthopod in surgery. He did his training at Campbell Clinic in Memphis, and he has told me that if I do decide to do Ortho, he will give them a call for me. That would be ideal for me if I do choose Ortho. It is close to where I live, and it is the place I would have at the top of my match list.

Shodddy18

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2004
Maine
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Not entirely sure, but here is what I think:

#1... IM leading to Cardiology... eventualy leading to the cath lab
...(This is what I really want to do)

#2... EM
...(This is the work schedule I would like to have)

#3...OB/GYN
...(I think this would be so cool... but damn that malp. insurance)

Luluzbello

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2004
Maryland
Status
Want to definitely go either into pediatric cardiology or pediatric reconstructive surgery....basically want to work with the little guys!! can't wait!!!

About the Ads