What field of medicine do you THINK you want to practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

box29

Keep on keepin' on Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that things change and when people think they want to go into IM or Rads or etc., they eventually find some other field of medicine that they didn't even think they could see themselves practicing. So, with that said,

What field of medicine are you intially interested in and THINK you want to practice?

Me: IM, sub ID

Members don't see this ad.

box29 said:
I know that things change and when people think they want to go into IM or Rads or etc., they eventually find some other field of medicine that they didn't even think they could see themselves practicing. So, with that said,

What field of medicine are you intially interested in and THINK you want to practice?

Me: IM, sub ID

I want to go in to pediatric opthalmology.

Its a mouthfull :laugh:

You said it! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably EM...I have a really good idea about what that entails...but I am definately leaving my options open.

The more and more I look at my debt and the way some primary care physicians are heading, I kinda shutter away from PC.

Here is my thoughts at the moment.

Peds oncology
Med/Peds
EM

I'm planning on either neuro or IM (possibly endocrinology or rheumatology if I go the IM route).

Well, I thought of Emergency Medicine or Internal Medicine. But I also have an interest in Research Medicine.... Then recently, I heard about primary care for special needs patients....So now, I feel like a freshman in college all over again. :rolleyes:

I've narrowed it down to these:

IM-cardio, endo, pulmonary critical care, maybe just general internist
Oncology

Orthopedic Surgery
General Surgery w/ Trauma/SCC fellowship
Emergency Medicine
Psychiatry with Consult-Liaison fellowship

Currently Investigating: Anesthesia.

Members don't see this ad :)
At the present it would be Emergency Med, due to my past.
But also IM-cardio is a close second

OB-GYN, I'm really hoping the malpractice comes down before it's time for me to be paying it...

I've gone from peds --> IM (endocrine) --> family medicine --> IM (endocrine) --> and back to family med. I'm now pretty much 100% sure that I will be applying for FP this year.

I've always leaned towards pediatrics..but now I am more interested in possibly specializing..either pediatric reconstructive surgery or pediatric orthopedics..we'll see :p

It always seems to change for me, so here is the transition states I've been through:

Anesthesiology --> Cardiology --> Plastic Surgery --> Family Practice --> General Surgery --> and now back to Anesthesiology

It seems to be changing all the time, so we'll see.

---Ryan

Anesthesiology or pulmonology. The more likely of the two being anesthesiology...as I could do a critical care fellowship and concomitantly have my hands in the ICU and OR settings.

Nuerosurg, EM or Rads...maybe pulmonary

I have four choices ordered form most favorite to least favorite.

1. Orthopedic Surgery
2. Otolaryngology
3. Interventional Radiology
4. Thoracic Surgery

These are my favorites can't really see myself doing anything else.

Just thought I would hi-jack this thread for one second. The responses so far are what I expected. The days of osteopathic medicine being geared towards family practice are just about over. This is obviously a very small sample size and DO schools still produce a good number of fp docs; but this seems to mirror the general trend of osteopathic medical students focusing more on specialization. I just hope schools will finally admit this trend and change their curriculums accordingly.

btw, I'm interested in specializing, just not sure which one yet.

I wish I had an idea as much as some of you...I have yet to find a field of medicine that has turned me off...guess I will wait and see what I am best at. :)

I've pretty much always been interested in either Family Practice or Emergency Medicine (leaning more towards FP).

Currently I'm thinking rural family practice and w/some rural ER moonlighting thrown in a few times a month.

1. Emergency Medicine
2. Sports Medicine
3. Pediatrics

or some combination of all 3!

Let's see....what do I want to be *this week*? This is a bit difficult for me because I would like to remain in a rural or at least small town area. (Though, I'd prefer not to be so far out in the sticks that I can't shop! LOL)

Peds has always interested me, so that remains one of my top choices. Add to that: possible IM subspecialty (maybe rheumatology or infectious disease), pathology, anesthesiology, hell...I don't really know. I'm trying to go into school with an open mind. I'm almost certain I don't want to do surgery or psychiatry, but other than that....

Oh and palliative medicine sounds rather intriguing too...

Willow

maybe..
1. Psych/Neuro double
2. Peds
3. IM

It's open to change as I do my rotations.

It's good to know that so many future DOs are going into primary care. :laugh:

Guess the cost of tuition at DO schools can take its toll :eek:

Trauma!!!!!!
Or Maybe Emergency Med (A Big Maybe)

I have my heart set on Surgery;
I want to practice:
General/endovascular surgery or,
neurological surgery w/o the general surgery (won't have time for the general)...

gr8n
LECOM-Bradenton
c/o 2008

Assuming I get in somewhere when I apply, definately Heme/Onc, my research in this area has really kind of made up my mind for me.

Adrian

Anyone interested in pathology? If so, why.

Difficult question:

A large part of me wants to be the old country Doc with the little black bag that gets the phone calls in the middle of the night and rolls out making a housecall. So I guess that's family practice which is also a good place for OMT.

Another part is absolutely fascinated with neurology. Good stuff.

After I got a chance to watch one work (at least right up until going into the surgery room) orthopedic surgeon.

And finally, the adrenaline junkie in me is thinking ER.

taylor92107 said:
Anyone interested in pathology? If so, why.

I am seriously considering scheduling an elective rotation in pathology. I'm not sure if I'll like the autopsies, but the other stuff seems cool as hell. I liked histology and would probably enjoy looking at frozens all day. A pathologist is the doctor's doctor.

I'm thinking of doing an elective in pathology as well. Not sure why it appeals to me--maybe it's the mystery of figuring out cause of death or the "excitement" of looking at slides! LOL

I did that online personality thingie that is supposed to tell you what specialty would suit you and apparently, my ideal patient is either crazy or dead!! Hmm...wonder what that says about me????

Willow

Well, I think I'm going to like surgery, but I'm also interested in treating cancer...soooooo, who knows?

I've seen something like 20 surgeries of all types, and I have to say that it's fascinating. :)

who would want to be a proctologist.....?????

anyway.... I want to be an Family Practice doc.... and an AME.... and a Med Missionary most of all!!!

First post here! :clap: I only recently got into a cooperative, early assurance program with NYCOM, so it's still kind of early, not having had any significant clinical exposure. That being said, right now I'm debating between clinical medicine and more research-oriented approaches. If I were to do clinical medicine it would definately be psychiatry, neurology or something else along those lines. If I decided against clinical practice, I would do international health and epidemiology.

I heard from certain medical school officials that they often hear that a large percentage of applications want to be a medical missionary.

When it all pans out, very very few actually do.

Reasons include: little to money, risk of disease, terrorism, lack of resources, etc.

Also, what about those of you with children or who will have some at that time----what do you do with them? Leave them with grandparents? You certainly aren't going to bring them are you?

These are things to think about.

Those of you that still want to do this---and I've heard many people say so, what is your opinion, and what do you think you can do to ensure it will work?

Once upon a time, I thought about doing it, but I decided against it.

Right now, I'm leaning towards ortho, but I am also considering Family Practice with a fellowship in Sports Medicine.

I was thinking about doing sports medicine via the emergency medicine route.

I know that most fellowships allow IM, FP, EM, or PEDS to get into the fellowship, although some are more limited. I also hear they are very competitive, and take very few applicants. I suppose you have to have connections.

The connections you have are probably a big key in getting into any residency. I work with an orthopod in surgery. He did his training at Campbell Clinic in Memphis, and he has told me that if I do decide to do Ortho, he will give them a call for me. That would be ideal for me if I do choose Ortho. It is close to where I live, and it is the place I would have at the top of my match list.

Not entirely sure, but here is what I think:

#1... IM leading to Cardiology... eventualy leading to the cath lab
...(This is what I really want to do)

#2... EM
...(This is the work schedule I would like to have)

#3...OB/GYN
...(I think this would be so cool... but damn that malp. insurance)

Want to definitely go either into pediatric cardiology or pediatric reconstructive surgery....basically want to work with the little guys!! can't wait!!!

Surgery (neuro, ortho, or plastics)