HTFU
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2007
The ATL
www.myspace.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Or, more specifically, what will your diet be like?

I suspect I will consume a lot of these:

completeMeal2.jpg

They are cheap, and fast, and I eat them all the time already. If I'm in the mood for a fancy meal, I go with the high-end version of the same stuff:

Cover_Page05.jpg

I should also add that, once I get to Atlanta, my absolute first order of business will be to identify an acceptable source of sushi. It doesn't have to be great. In fact, I won't be able to afford great sushi with any kind of regularity. However, if I don't get my weekly sushi fix, I will probably not survive. All I'm looking for is a sushi place with a reasonable happy hour, or even a grocery store that does a decent job with it, like Whole Foods or Central Market.

I cannot survive without my weekly sushi. In fact, I am going to propose the "sushi cycle" when biochem starts, and hopefully, this will earn me a nobel prize, and I can use the prize money to pay for school.

For my sports nutrition, it comes down to two things:
accelerade.jpg

endurox%20r4%20choc%2028.jpg

I will use other things from time to time, but these two will remain constant.

That's about it. I hope it will fit into the budget.

ppatel1185

10+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
TT-
Does any of this stuff have creatine? And, what are your views on creatine?

About the Ads

TexasTriathlete

HTFU
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2007
The ATL
www.myspace.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
The stuff I use does not have creatine in it. I have no need for it.

My views on creatine are that it is one of the best supplements on the market for speed/power athletes. It can make you a lot stronger in short bursts. Run faster, jump higher, and so-on.

The year before I worked with Men's Basketball, the NCAA banned it. Sort of. We were not allowed to provide it to the guys, but they were allowed to get it themselves. Of course, most of them didn't, and what we saw was an increase in "little" injuries. Nagging stuff like sprained ankles. The reason is that it can really help you with your quick reactions, like how your body corrects for itself when you jump and come down on someone's foot.

Anyway, I think it is great for someone who has a need for it.

TexasTriathlete

HTFU
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2007
The ATL
www.myspace.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
No, but I keep meaning to. The only one in Austin is practically walking distance from where I live. The thing is, I work downtown, and when I have sushi, we usually hit up one of about 18 sushi places within walking distance of work. Or whole foods, which is also walking distance from work.

prionsRbad

Mooooo
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Whole foods has pretty good sushi. Trader Joes on the other hand = terrible sushi.

The nearest Whole Foods is 2 hours away from where I'm moving for med school . . . . Trader Joes is 4 hours away. :( I don't know what the heck I'm going to eat. :eek:

LauraDO

10+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
The nearest Whole Foods is 2 hours away from where I'm moving for med school . . . . Trader Joes is 4 hours away. :( I don't know what the heck I'm going to eat. :eek:

there are three so called "health food stores' in Knoxville, which can help a bit Earthfare which (although good many places) sucks! warning do not buy any premade foods there because they have been known to put new 'updated' sell by/use by dates over the old expired ones if they do not sell it in time

Then there is Go Nutrition run by a great guy named Joe, it is small and they are big vegans/vegetarians

Finally there is natures pantry which is also small snooty and overpriced, but attached to a 'spa' with great massage therapists.

I would say your best bet is find a good local butcher and make friends with local farmers which are all around the area

prionsRbad

Mooooo
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
there are three so called "health food stores' in Knoxville, which can help a bit Earthfare which (although good many places) sucks! warning do not buy any premade foods there because they have been known to put new 'updated' sell by/use by dates over the old expired ones if they do not sell it in time

Then there is Go Nutrition run by a great guy named Joe, it is small and they are big vegans/vegetarians

Finally there is natures pantry which is also small snooty and overpriced, but attached to a 'spa' with great massage therapists.

I would say your best bet is find a good local butcher and make friends with local farmers which are all around the area

Good to know, thanks. :D Since I work in a prion lab *wink wink* I don't really eat beef, sometimes I eat chicken and I eat lot's of fish.

I'm kinda granola about dairy and processed food, so I know it's going to be a challenge to find "real" food in the area, but I'm sure I'll survive. ;)

ellinopedo182

Deleted User
10+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
greek village salad... ill be making this everyday, especially if i can find good greek feta cheese like dodonis or something, and some good kalamata olives or maybe ionian green olives, and some good greek tomatoes (holland tomatoes will work too). mmmm making me hungry.

greek-salad.jpg

justletmeinplz

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Microwaveable rice = best invention ever.

http://shopuncleharrys.dukestores.duke.edu/images/rice%20050.jpg
I make a mean tuna melt.
bumblebee.jpg

Chicken is a must.
chicken.jpg

Doesn't get much tastier than Bambi...actually, his mom was probably tastier.
deer.jpg

can%20veg%20001.jpg

About the Ads

prionsRbad

Mooooo
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
greek village salad... ill be making this everyday, especially if i can find good greek feta cheese like dodonis or something, and some good kalamata olives or maybe ionian green olives, and some good greek tomatoes (holland tomatoes will work too). mmmm making me hungry.

greek-salad.jpg

What? You make that everyday?! I'm soo jealous. It looks delicious and 10 times more yummy than my usual lunch. :)

ellinopedo182

Deleted User
10+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2007
Status (Visible)
What? You make that everyday?! I'm soo jealous. It looks delicious and 10 times more yummy than my usual lunch. :)

i'm known for making good greek and arabic food. i guess whoever has me in their class are going to be coming over my place for some home cooked greek food (gemista, dolmades, xoriatiki, keftedakia, makaronada, biftekia, elliniki kota, xoriatiki kota, pastichio, mousaka, aitherines, kabob, soublakia... mmmmmm).

BUTTTTTTTT, i am most well known for making my greek village salad.

I love greek food but this is one of my all-around favorites. I don't know anyone/any place that makes them really well. I used to baby-sit for this lady who made them and they were smack your momma delicious. And a friend's fiance made them. But they broke up. So now I make do.

allisome

10+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2008
Nashville, TN
www.facebook.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
i'm known for making good greek and arabic food. i guess whoever has me in their class are going to be coming over my place for some home cooked greek food (gemista, dolmades, xoriatiki, keftedakia, makaronada, biftekia, elliniki kota, xoriatiki kota, pastichio, mousaka, aitherines, kabob, soublakia... mmmmmm).

BUTTTTTTTT, i am most well known for making my greek village salad.

I'm SO there!

EuroPhysician

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2007
Status (Visible)
Huh, unless you are going to some third world country, I am sure you should be able to find ample food wherever you go to study medicine, there should be grocery stores in the area.

PunkmedGirl

Freshman Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Or, more specifically, what will your diet be like?

I suspect I will consume a lot of these:

completeMeal2.jpg

They are cheap, and fast, and I eat them all the time already. If I'm in the mood for a fancy meal, I go with the high-end version of the same stuff:

Cover_Page05.jpg

I should also add that, once I get to Atlanta, my absolute first order of business will be to identify an acceptable source of sushi. It doesn't have to be great. In fact, I won't be able to afford great sushi with any kind of regularity. However, if I don't get my weekly sushi fix, I will probably not survive. All I'm looking for is a sushi place with a reasonable happy hour, or even a grocery store that does a decent job with it, like Whole Foods or Central Market.

I cannot survive without my weekly sushi. In fact, I am going to propose the "sushi cycle" when biochem starts, and hopefully, this will earn me a nobel prize, and I can use the prize money to pay for school.

For my sports nutrition, it comes down to two things:
accelerade.jpg

endurox%20r4%20choc%2028.jpg

I will use other things from time to time, but these two will remain constant.

That's about it. I hope it will fit into the budget.

Gosh I totally agree with you there I think I am going to go bankrupt from going to my fav sushi place. LOL Its that bad when I call they already know my number, "Hi Tiff (they dont even call my be my whole name lol), it will be 15mins." LMAO that's sad

PunkmedGirl

Freshman Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical

greek-salad.jpg

its looks good minus the red onions and green bells..but everything else looks yummy

DragonWell

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician

pm'd ya

ellinopedo182

Deleted User
10+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2007
Status (Visible)
i live on that in the summer... we call that skopje salad :)

i never liked green peppers and onions, but lately i love them when i grill them. dunno why, they are really tasty that way... plus some kefta kebabs and maybe shish taouk or shishkabob would just compliment the grilled veggies ;) man, i wish i wasn't fasting for easter or else id be chowing down on some good greek and arabic food everyday. UGH!

theserbatron

put mo' chamomile on it
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 3, 2007
Lone Star
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
i never liked green peppers and onions, but lately i love them when i grill them. dunno why, they are really tasty that way... plus some kefta kebabs and maybe shish taouk or shishkabob would just compliment the grilled veggies ;) man, i wish i wasn't fasting for easter or else id be chowing down on some good greek and arabic food everyday. UGH!

hehe, just imagine how good the lamb is going to be. i'm grilling on saturday with a few other guys at church for easter sunday's feast. but we're also making cevapi (those little meat rolls - like beeftekia) and prase (young pig)

About the Ads
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.