What FP residencys are the best

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ausmil

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in my third year. I want some ideas on some of the best FP residencies in the western United States? I am really interested in staying on the west side of the Mississippi. If anyone has any ideas as to what ones and why, I would be very appreciative. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Ausmil said:
I am in my third year. I want some ideas on some of the best FP residencies in the western United States? I am really interested in staying on the west side of the Mississippi. If anyone has any ideas as to what ones and why, I would be very appreciative. Thank you

I interviewed at several western FP programs- I was originally aiming to go home to Colorado, but I was really impressed with a couple other programs. I wanted an unopposed program that would let me work in the ER a lot. (But just so you know, I ended up switching from FP to ER in the end, and matched in ER).

I really liked:
St. Mary's in Grand Junction, CO. Well established program.
Alaska - even did a rotation up there, the teaching was awesome!

Got a good feeling from:
St. Anthony's - Denver, a lot of OB
St. Joseph's - Denver, but is an unopposed program
Montana- did a rotation up there, teaching not as good as Alaska, but they have a wilderness track that really attracted me.

OK programs:
Santa Fe, NM- liked the PD a lot, but didn't like the clinic director. Lots of OB

Also, I checked out a couple other programs that looked really awesome, which I ended up having to cancel interviews with cause I switched to EM. Hawaii and Reno. You might want to check out Salt Lake City programs too.

Hope this helps.