What genetics text did you use?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WonderBoy

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am prepping for the april mcats, I know its far away. However, i just wanted focus of my weakness for the moment, specifically genetics.

I have never been really able to get it down especially stuff like mendenlian genetics, family charts. So if anyone can recommend a good genetics textbook I could read in the text few months it would be greatly appreciated. I would take a genetics course, however I am having a hard time finding one in my area.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

hmmm, my alter ego "wonderboy" - if you have trouble with mendelian genetics the solution is most definitely not to go looking for a more thorough or complicated genetics book, but to go back to your basic intro biology book and read about it again there. You need to understand it at the level of Campbell's Biology (Did you use that text for gen. bio? most people that I know, did) before attempting more sophisticated stuff.

That's probably not what you wanted to hear though :)

Besides, regardless of what people here say, I don't believe you need a genetics course to do well on the MCAT (and yes, I know people will argue with me on that one...)

Originally posted by the boy wonder
hmmm, my alter ego "wonderboy" - if you have trouble with mendelian genetics the solution is most definitely not to go looking for a more thorough or complicated genetics book, but to go back to your basic intro biology book and read about it again there. You need to understand it at the level of Campbell's Biology (Did you use that text for gen. bio? most people that I know, did) before attempting more sophisticated stuff.

That's probably not what you wanted to hear though :)

Besides, regardless of what people here say, I don't believe you need a genetics course to do well on the MCAT (and yes, I know people will argue with me on that one...)

i actually agree wholeheartedly, boy wonder. if you have campbell's fifth edition, seriously all the genetics you need to know is in a good intro book, probably even with the threat of "more genetics" on the 2003 test.

if you take a prep course, you'll review all that stuff in sufficient detail. no need to take an extra class or buy and extra book

now human phys, THAT might be a different story.........

i agree with everyone
thinking back to aug test...
and those crazy genetics passages
i wouldnt have done too well even if i had a textbook on my lap..

i've learned that mcats is all about
being able to apply what youve learned (BASIC INTRO MATERIAL)
to things in passages...

u dont need to mmemorize a textbook to do well...

everyone says its all about practicing problems and tons of them

i think my mistake was that i tried to memorize needless details
cuz i thought it would help me answer the question...
but it doesnt
it just bogs u down more...

next mcat
i will spend more time doing problems and less time reading the material over and over again...