1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

What genetics text did you use?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by WonderBoy, Oct 10, 2002.

1. WonderBoy

Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I am prepping for the april mcats, I know its far away. However, i just wanted focus of my weakness for the moment, specifically genetics.

I have never been really able to get it down especially stuff like mendenlian genetics, family charts. So if anyone can recommend a good genetics textbook I could read in the text few months it would be greatly appreciated. I would take a genetics course, however I am having a hard time finding one in my area.

Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. tBw

tBw totally deluded
    7+ Year Member

hmmm, my alter ego "wonderboy" - if you have trouble with mendelian genetics the solution is most definitely not to go looking for a more thorough or complicated genetics book, but to go back to your basic intro biology book and read about it again there. You need to understand it at the level of Campbell's Biology (Did you use that text for gen. bio? most people that I know, did) before attempting more sophisticated stuff.

That's probably not what you wanted to hear though :)

Besides, regardless of what people here say, I don't believe you need a genetics course to do well on the MCAT (and yes, I know people will argue with me on that one...)

4. DW

DW Fix me some sandwiches
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i actually agree wholeheartedly, boy wonder. if you have campbell's fifth edition, seriously all the genetics you need to know is in a good intro book, probably even with the threat of "more genetics" on the 2003 test.

if you take a prep course, you'll review all that stuff in sufficient detail. no need to take an extra class or buy and extra book

now human phys, THAT might be a different story.........

5. i agree with everyone
    thinking back to aug test...
    and those crazy genetics passages
    i wouldnt have done too well even if i had a textbook on my lap..

i've learned that mcats is all about
    being able to apply what youve learned (BASIC INTRO MATERIAL)
    to things in passages...

u dont need to mmemorize a textbook to do well...

everyone says its all about practicing problems and tons of them

i think my mistake was that i tried to memorize needless details
    cuz i thought it would help me answer the question...
    but it doesnt
    it just bogs u down more...

next mcat
    i will spend more time doing problems and less time reading the material over and over again...