Syranope2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2004
Colorado
Status (Visible)
Hey all - I'm trying to decide if it's worth the time/money to go to a second-look weekend at the school I've already decided to attend. What all goes on at these weekends? Is it just more of trying to sell the school to people who haven't decided yet where they're going? Or is it more of a social gathering where you get to meet your new classmates? If it's the latter, I'd probably go, But since I already know that I'm attending this school, I don't want to spend the weekend being shown around the facilities, etc., again.

tallchica

15+ Year Member
Aug 27, 2002
Status (Visible)
I think it all depends on the school. I went to two myself, and they were completely different (and actually influenced my decision!) Temple Med's was done on a Friday, run completely by administration. We sat in the auditorium all morning, had lunch with faculty, and then a student-led tour (pretty much like a repeat interview day, minus the interview). At Penn State, it was COMPLETELY student-run, it was on a Saturday, and it's a mixture of panels, behind the scenes tours, sample phsyio and anatomy lecturs, a sample Case to participate in, and social activities the night before and after as well. Feel free to ask the school the day's agenda before dropping the money for a plane ticket or passing up an excellent opportunity.

indianboy

Call me, Baby.
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2002
Deeznuts (Clever?)
Status (Visible)
Hey all - I'm trying to decide if it's worth the time/money to go to a second-look weekend at the school I've already decided to attend. What all goes on at these weekends? Is it just more of trying to sell the school to people who haven't decided yet where they're going? Or is it more of a social gathering where you get to meet your new classmates? If it's the latter, I'd probably go, But since I already know that I'm attending this school, I don't want to spend the weekend being shown around the facilities, etc., again.

It's about high-intensity mental canoodling. It's about the current students' self-validation. It's about confirming what you like, and justifying away things you don't. It's about 30-second judgements of the characters of your possible classmates. It's about entitlement. Welcome to the next step in acculturation to the medical profession.

Hope that Helps.

P 'Everyones doing it' ShankOut

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.