What got you interested in medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

miniman

No mountain too high to climb.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For me, I lost a microscope after us moving. I looked online for a new one for my biology class, and I learned about how doing science for a career is actually a thing. I was looking around at the different things you can do with science, and I saw MSF. Loved the idea of helping people with science, and at 15 I knew I wanted to be a doctor. (Over time I changed directions, but always landed back on the dream of being a doctor.)

What is your story?

Members don't see this ad.

I've wanted to be a doctor ever since I was 6, after my parents told me that my first two career choices of being a magical princess or a dinosaur weren't feasible

Reactions: 18 users
I've wanted to be a doctor ever since I was 6, after my parents told me that my first two career choices of being a magical princess or a dinosaur weren't feasible
I guess being a magical prince could be a thing for you though. (When I was young I wanted to be Jim Cantore... lol... that's what you get for growing up in Florida!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was 8. I liked the idea of caring for people/treating the sick. I also used to read these articles on "kidshealth.com". I used to read all about different diseases , and it fascinated me. That's when I decided I wanted to be a doctor, putting those two things together.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
I think I was born with an immense love for anatomy and the wonders of the human body. I knew I had to learn every single detail about this work of art. This has been with me for as long as I can remember, and it never gets old. No matter how many times I see a heart or a brain or any other part of the body or reflect on how it works I can't help but be in awe and appreciation of what my body can do.
Later I realized how much I enjoy problem solving and putting all the pieces of the puzzle together. Combine problem solving with my love for anatomy and physiology and a little bit of compassion and you get a DOCTOR.

Reactions: 1 users
I was 8. I liked the idea of caring for people/treating the sick. I also used to read these articles on "kidshealth.com". I used to read all about different diseases , and it fascinated me. That's when I decided I wanted to be a doctor, putting those two things together.

lol I remember kidshealth! I used to go there and read like you, and get what I now know as year 2 disease... where you are sure you have torn your ACL and have two types of cancer... all the while you are suffering from degenerate heart disease... heck you would be luck to survive the year at this rate, and why? Because you mother didn't listen to your aching stomach at 11:30 yesterday, and we all know that is indicative of Chrones... right?

Reactions: 1 user
I didn't know what to do mid-way through college and my father told me that I should apply to medical school, so I did. Worked out in the end, but certainly not the best way to go about things.

Reactions: 6 users
My father and I used to go to Barnes and Noble, go to the "Health Sciences" section and pick out a book to read together. The more I learned about diseases and the human anatomy, the more I wanted to read and learn. Reading with my father had a tremendous influence on my career goals.

Sent from my Alcatel_4060A using SDN mobile

Saw that scene in Grey's anatomy when McSteamy was banging a nurse in the supply closet and found my calling. I was a horny young lad.

Reactions: 12 users
Money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 4 users
Didn't make the cut as an astronaut so settled for being a physician scientist

Reactions: 5 users
I want an eternal human chess match with a hospital janitor.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't think I wanted anything to do with medicine through all of high school and most of college. I was a business undergrad and somewhat randomly signed up for a Mini-Med School program available to the lay public at my alma mater University of Michigan. As I recall, undergrads had free or very cheap admission. A pathologist by the name of Dr. Gerald Abrams gave the introductory speech and presented much of the first week's material. We went through organ systems, basic physiology, and a review of a large portion of the University of Michigan's plastinated organs (before the days of Body Worlds). I was hooked! I found the science fascinating, and I found myself becoming more and more interested in the overall topic of human medicine with each passing week of the program. Unfortunately, I was a senior in college at the time, and I hadn't been in any sort of pre-med track to get my prerequisites, take the MCAT, apply to med school, etc. So I graduated with a business degree, worked at a small start-up business and then a bit in the corporate world--returning back to school at the age of 24 to get my prereqs, take the MCAT, and apply. I matriculated at 26 years of age and have never looked back!

Reactions: 7 users
I didn't think I wanted anything to do with medicine through all of high school and most of college. I was a business undergrad and somewhat randomly signed up for a Mini-Med School program available to the lay public at my alma mater University of Michigan. As I recall, undergrads had free or very cheap admission. A pathologist by the name of Dr. Gerald Abrams gave the introductory speech and presented much of the first week's material. We went through organ systems, basic physiology, and a review of a large portion of the University of Michigan's plastinated organs (before the days of Body Worlds). I was hooked! I found the science fascinating, and I found myself becoming more and more interested in the overall topic of human medicine with each passing week of the program. Unfortunately, I was a senior in college at the time, and I hadn't been in any sort of pre-med track to get my prerequisites, take the MCAT, apply to med school, etc. So I graduated with a business degree, worked at a small start-up business and then a bit in the corporate world--returning back to school at the age of 24 to get my prereqs, take the MCAT, and apply. I matriculated at 26 years of age and have never looked back!
Wow quite a journey! I'm so happy that you took this step inspite of having all the pre-recs done! That was very brave.

I got degrees in political science and spent time teaching abroad. I was on an extended trip backpacking through India and Nepal and ended up on some remote tropical islands in the Indian Ocean called Andaman and Nicobar.

I met some fellow travelers, one who had just graduated med school after entering as a non-trad (English major), as well as an Estonian nurse (male). Talked a lot with them about medicine and specifically about changing careers in one's late 20s. After the Andamans I spent a month working with disabled kids in Calcutta, and afterwards I knew that I wanted to be a physician.

Two years later and I'm in the middle of my pre-reqs, taking MCAT and applying next year!

This is a random aside but have you thought about getting a Verified Physician badge? There are some nice perks to it so could be useful.

Grew up in the south side of Chicago where healthcare was not only limited, but not an option for many. Grew up witnessing a good number of awful things that were a result of both the area and the lack of healthcare. Naturally, my curiosity for medicine and the role it plays in alleviating some of these core issues came from a lot of these experiences.

Grew up in the south side of Chicago where healthcare was not only limited, but not an option for many. Grew up witnessing a good number of awful things that were a result of both the area and the lack of healthcare. Naturally, my curiosity for medicine and the role it plays in alleviating some of these core issues came from a lot of these experiences.
I can totally agree with you. I want to work instate as I was reading and wrote several papers on how bad my states medicine was. (We rank in the lower 1/3)

Chicks, money, power, and chicks.

Reactions: 7 users
I was born Indian.

Reactions: 18 users
In highschool my grandfather was diagnosed with cancer, he was the 7th cancer diagnosis in my family, and the 3rd family member to die from it.
Thought I would take a look into what was affecting my family, and found the science behind it to be very interesting.
Decided to volunteer at a children's cancer hospital to see how I could help, and I fell in love with helping the patients and working with the hospital staff.
Since then that number has gone from 7 family cancers to 10. I'm reminded every day why I want to go into medicine when I see my family.

Sent from my A0001 using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
It hit me senior year of high school. I wanted a career in healthcare. Initially i was planning for PA programs. I had a few interviews lined up, but i never went. i made a drastic change senior year.

Great stories here guys! I am amazed how some of you knew early on, others later... but in the end, a doctor is still a doctor. I think the most memorable of all of these though is @timephone story. That's just wow.

I always had a general interest from when I was a child and got to go with my mom to the hospital occasionally (she was a nurse). Then in high school, I joined a club called HOSA which led me to entering some competition where you essentially took a test about diseases. From then on I was extremely interested in becoming a physician.

Unfortunately, through a variety of events I never put my best foot forward and lost my way during college. After graduating I got a job for a few years but felt like I wasn't going anywhere. I decided to start volunteering at an ED and pretty much fell in love all over again. Now, a few years later and I'm finally applying.

If you're Indian like me, only two career paths: engineer or doctor.

Mom is doctor. Dad is engineer. I am Indian. How to satisfy them both? Engineering undergrad then medical school.

It hit me senior year of high school. I wanted a career in healthcare. Initially i was planning for PA programs. I had a few interviews lined up, but i never went. i made a drastic change senior year.
Funny thing is my parents didn't want me to be a doctor! They wanted me to be a PA... then they finally got on board... lol. Still, they sometimes ask me why I want to do it and not become a PA or CRNA. It's an interesting family I come from.

Funny thing is my parents didn't want me to be a doctor! They wanted me to be a PA... then they finally got on board... lol. Still, they sometimes ask me why I want to do it and not become a PA or CRNA. It's an interesting family I come from.
Wut? Why PA and not doctor? I can see why they would question the other way around but wutt?

I'm never been more confused.
Do they think PA school is easier to get into and maybe becoming a doctor is harder/longer process ( 4 years UGrad+ potential gap year +4 years med school then residency) as opposed to 4 years UGrad and then 2 years of PA school?

Wut? Why PA and not doctor? I can see why they would question the other way around but wutt?
Yeah, they said it wasn't worth it and that it was a sin to go in debt. ( debt = slavery to the world...) yeah plus all those scary autism causing toxins doctors must give out! ( yeah PAs don't give immunizations...) I said that debt or not I'm going to be a doctor, and I don't think that getting vaccinated will give me autism or my kids mental health issues....

I'm never been more confused.
Do they think PA school is easier to get into and maybe becoming a doctor is harder/longer process ( 4 years UGrad+ potential gap year +4 years med school then residency) as opposed to 4 years UGrad and then 2 years of PA school?
I know... but more exposure to the deadly, sinful world! Like I told you... I grew up in a conservative, fundamentalist type of Christianity...

Yeah, they said it wasn't worth it and that it was a sin to go in debt. ( debt = slavery to the world...) yeah plus all those scary autism causing toxins doctors must give out! ( yeah PAs don't give immunizations...) I said that debt or not I'm going to be a doctor, and I don't think that getting vaccinated will give me autism or my kids mental health issues....
But...but...state med schools that give merit based aid...and financial aid....you don't need to go that far into debt...
:boom:

But...but...state med schools that give merit based aid...and financial aid....you don't need to go that far into debt...
:boom:
Yeah... they have changed quite a bit... but still I wonder how much they hold back.

For me, I lost a microscope after us moving. I looked online for a new one for my biology class, and I learned about how doing science for a career is actually a thing. I was looking around at the different things you can do with science, and I saw MSF. Loved the idea of helping people with science, and at 15 I knew I wanted to be a doctor. (Over time I changed directions, but always landed back on the dream of being a doctor.)

What is your story?

I've been a patient of chronic disease since age 7 and the relationship I built with my Pediatric GI doc was nothing short of amazing. He impacted me and my family in ways I never thought were possible. This led me in the direction of the medical field. After becoming a Scribe at an outpatient clinic and building relationships with patients there, and watching the NPs and Docs at our practice, my career goal became solidified. I wanted to be a doctor from that point forward.

I've been a patient of chronic disease since age 7 and the relationship I built with my Pediatric GI doc was nothing short of amazing. He impacted me and my family in ways I never thought were possible. This led me in the direction of the medical field. After becoming a Scribe at an outpatient clinic and building relationships with patients there, and watching the NPs and Docs at our practice, my career goal became solidified. I wanted to be a doctor from that point forward.

Very similar to my story, but think pulm instead. :-D

What is your story?

Had a brain virus in 2nd grade- almost died. I got to see the hospital during my couple week visit. Ever since, I'm hooked!

A family friend of ours was a physician. When I was little, my mom and I would help at their practice by packing lunches for the patients who came to her practice since most of them were poor and old (she was a geriatrician) so struggled to cook for themselves or afford groceries. I wanted to do what she did.

Honestly? Dinner conversations w/ medical family and star trek.

"They" considered me the stupid kid. Now "they" get to see me go to med school.
Always watch out for "they".
"They" will hold you back.
It's because of "Them" that I'm gonna be successful.
Plus the money
and cars
and chicks.
Helping people too I guess...
How the hell did I even get it?:whistle:

Once you decide against serial killer everything else is gravy

"They" considered me the stupid kid. Now "they" get to see me go to med school.
Always watch out for "they".
"They" will hold you back.

Attachments

• upload_2017-5-31_1-39-24.png
    upload_2017-5-31_1-39-24.png
    161.4 KB · Views: 43
As a kid I would be interested in random jobs--I loved the idea of being a grocery store manager--and one of the ones was a doctor. Unlike the others, it didn't get replaced by anything else so I started pursuing it with the understanding that I may decide I no longer enjoy it, but that hasn't happened yet. I'm gonna need something else for my PS.

Chose to become a lab tech because it was a reliable job in healthcare. Got to my internship and realized I was very over-qualified in my role as a technologist and wanted to get back to analyzing laboratory results like in my classes. Shadowed a doc and the rest is history.