What got you interested in pharmacy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

btpayne13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a high school student interested in going into some field of medicine (either pharmacy or veterinary medicine most likely). Pharmacy interests me for a number of reasons because it seems that it would offer a very interesting blend of business and science, where you can help people feel better by supplying them with their medication. What got you interested in pharmacy?

Members don't see this ad.

Mine was:

• Interest in patient counseling
  • Interest in organic and biochemistry
  • Willingness to work with the general public
  • 4 years of school after college instead of 7-12 years
  • Enough income to not worry about money
  • Developing relationships with patients that keep coming back
  • Interest in math up to calculus
  • Pharmacy is a small world where almost every pharmacist knows each other, or someone who would know the pharmacist you mention
  • Interest in becoming "The Medication Expert"

Etc.

I thought there was another thread like this somewhere but here are my answers:

-Interest in pharmacology and direct patient care. -Working in a challenging field where I will constantly learn new things
-opportunity to live a comfortable lifestyle
-variety of career options
-normal hours

Members don't see this ad :)
Specifically? The Baycol recall in '04. I remember being facinated that something designed to help people was instead hurting them.

I may end up getting stoned for this, but what initially attracted me to this career choice was my mother. She told me that pharmacists make good money, etc. As of now, the only reason why I'm attempting to pursue pharmacy is because of the money. But as of now, I'm trying to decide to pick either pharmacy or teaching. I think that I would be a great teacher, but the $50,000 annual salary isn't that appealing. But then again I may end up happier. I'm torn, I really am. I shouldn't choose a career based on pay alone, but I just don't want to be broke. I want to live comfortably.

I may end up getting stoned for this, but what initially attracted me to this career choice was my mother. She told me that pharmacists make good money, etc. As of now, the only reason why I'm attempting to pursue pharmacy is because of the money. But as of now, I'm trying to decide to pick either pharmacy or teaching. I think that I would be a great teacher, but the $50,000 annual salary isn't that appealing. But then again I may end up happier. I'm torn, I really am. I shouldn't choose a career based on pay alone, but I just don't want to be broke. I want to live comfortably.

If you do it just for the money, you might not be happy with your decision. Just go for an MBA or something.

The whole reason I got interested in pharmacy was my grandpa. He's been the only father figure in my life and he was diagnosed with cancer in 2005. He went through several surgeries and spent weeks upon weeks in a hospital. He's doing really well now (he's 83), but going through that whole ordeal really interested me in doing oncology research. So basically, I want to create anti-cancer drugs! Now I just have to get accepted...

stability, income, nature of the work

in that order

while i agree money isn't everything, that's what gets most people interested, not just in pharmacy but in any career, though if it's the only thing motivating you, you probably won't last long

OP, think about which job you would do if everything else was equal and if that doesn't help, consider shadowing

Last edited:
I worked in a long-term care pharmacy and really enjoyed it. I got the job through a family member - it was supposed to be just something to do during a gap between semesters. I was really fascinated by the drugs.

A few years later, I took a job at a PBM. My boyfriend at the time asked me why I didn't apply to pharmacy school since I loved to talk about drugs so much. Life happened, but sevenish years later, here I am, finishing prereqs and registered for the PCAT with a husband and three kiddos underfoot.

I don't know how I will answer the "why pharmacy?" question. "I just like it" doesn't quite sound dedicated enough, but the amount of resources that my little family is throwing at this goal sure demonstrates it (I am always away from the kids (including one who is an infant and still nursing), the husband has worked multiple jobs for years to help pay tuition for prereqs, we are crammed into a 2 BR apartment to save money).

Bottom line, I tried it, I liked it. That got me interested.

my dad is a pharmacist and my mom is a nurse so i was exposed early on to the health care industry. i started working at a drug store when i was 17 and fell in love with it!