What GPA's get used?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ambasol

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all- just wanted to ask if anyone know which of the science/overall GPA's is used when schools look at you? is it the GPA with +/- or without, and what about the BCP GPA? Is the Overall science GPA looked at more than the BCP or vice-versa.
Thanks for the input.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't possibly speak for all schools, but I know for a fact that the Texas schools look at all GPA's (whether cum, sci, BCP) with out +/-. Secondly, I know that your GPA's are looked at and scrutinized a million different ways. They look at it on a yearly basis (sci and cum) to view academic progression, decline or stability. They look to see what classes you performed well or poorly in. For instance, if you had a great year and made all A's, they want to see if it was in courses such as basketweaving and photography or organic chem and physics. They also take into consideration extenuating circumstances that may have occured concurrently with not so good grades. So they really analyze those transcripts. As far as which is more important (BCP or sci) I think that may vary with each individual institution and you should probably check with the schools that you are particularly interested in.

Hope this helps.