What Grad-Level Classes to Take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LucidSplash

#LimbSalvage
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm enrolling as a "non-degree candidate student" to take a couple of grad courses this Spring. The purpose is to a)have some nice grad level work grades to add to my application should I not be accepted anywhere this year (because I suspect if I do not it is because of my undergrad GPA) and b)to be able to have SOMETHING to update schools with, especially in the event of a waitlist. Now, my options are the following courses:

Biochemistry
Molecular Biology
Advanced Cellular Biology I

I was a biochemistry/molecular biology major in undergrad and these are the biotechnology core courses you have to have fulfilled (in addition to Advanced Cell Bio II) before you can take most of their electives.

I am going to try and take 2 (I work full-time so I can't take more than that) although I may end up only taking 1. Which class(es) do you think I should take? Its kind of a risk, because if I do get into med school this year, I will have to pay my company back for the classes (they'll pay in the meantime because they are job related). But I believe in being proactive.

Members don't see this ad.

LucidSplash said:
So, I'm enrolling as a "non-degree candidate student" to take a couple of grad courses this Spring. The purpose is to a)have some nice grad level work grades to add to my application should I not be accepted anywhere this year (because I suspect if I do not it is because of my undergrad GPA) and b)to be able to have SOMETHING to update schools with, especially in the event of a waitlist. Now, my options are the following courses:

Biochemistry
Molecular Biology
Advanced Cellular Biology I

I was a biochemistry/molecular biology major in undergrad and these are the biotechnology core courses you have to have fulfilled (in addition to Advanced Cell Bio II) before you can take most of their electives.

I am going to try and take 2 (I work full-time so I can't take more than that) although I may end up only taking 1. Which class(es) do you think I should take? Its kind of a risk, because if I do get into med school this year, I will have to pay my company back for the classes (they'll pay in the meantime because they are job related). But I believe in being proactive.

IMO, I think that doing well in graduate level Biochem would really look good to adcoms. I know that most pre-meds at my undergradd took upper level/ advanced biol. classes, but the grad level biocehm was not available. Plus I've heard that grad level biochem is a beast - at many schools grad students and med students take this together- so doing well I think would definately look favorably on your app. Best of luck!