Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

What happened to John Hopkins???

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by E'01, Feb 22, 2002.

1. E'01

E'01 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Are people still getting interview offers from them? For those who have already interviewed - what did you think of it?

2. Coalboy

Coalboy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I sure hope they are still sending out invites.

I keep having this fear that they sent me a letter and it got lost in the mail. It happened to me with Vanderbilt. I found out when they e-mailed me two months later asking why I hadn't scheduled an interview.

3. bots

bots Member
    7+ Year Member

I interviewed in November and was accepted in December. In comparing it to the other schools that I've interviewed at (Harvard, Columbia, Penn, Duke, etc...), I really think the curriculum is among the best. For the first year, all the classes end at 1:00, every day. It's a traditional lecture style, and I'm much more comfortable with that than the PBL at Harvard-- it just seems to me that you'd learn a lot more. Plus, you wouldn't have the gaps in education that I think are inevitable if you're left to learn it on your own.

Also, in speaking to physicians, it seems to me that the reputation at Hopkins is the best; it is at least the equal of Harvard. And as far as facilities are concerned, there's no way you can go wrong; this is one of the best places on earth. Another aspect that I really appreciated is that all the hospitals that you do rotations at are part of Hopkins, meaning that they're used to having students with them and you don't have to travel a long distance to go from once place to the other.

The only disadvantage, if you would like to call it such, is that Hopkins is in a bad area of Baltimore, and on the whole, Baltimore does not have the cultural offerings of Boston or New York. I'm a JHU undergrad, however, and I have no problem with this area; in fact, I like it a lot. I think that there's a lot of potential for change and service, and those who like to be involved in the community and in serving underserved areas will have a litany of things to choose from.

I've been mulling over the difference between these schools for a while, so I'd love if anybody could contribute some more to this conversation.

BOTS

4. DarkChild

DarkChild Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Wow - at least there are other people out there wondering what's up with JHU (apart from Coalboy and I)
    I havent heard a thing - I'm also afraid of stuff getting lost in the mail. I emailed them on tuesday to see if they could tell me anything... no response.
    Oh well.

5. E'01

E'01 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Not one message or email that I have sent them have been returned - and I've been trying since like December. Totally rude.

6. NineSixteen

NineSixteen Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I agree with everything you said, Bots. I was highly impressed with JHU, and I feel the curriculum is excellent...I went to two lectures when I was there and was very happy with them. Talking to the students, they seem to really enjoy their clinical years.

I am HUGE into community service and health care for underserved populations, so the surrounding area was a big plus for me, and the students I talked to seemed to stress that there is a lot of opportunity to participate in reach-out type programs. Unfortunately, I didn't really get the feeling that many students DID partake in these kinds of activities. The security was SUCH an overwhelming force on campus that it seemed to close off the community from the university. This point was emphasized even more when I talked to a public health student at JHU. She told me that most of the med students really did not do much community service, other than that which was required of them.

I don't mean to sound like I am bashing Hopkins at all, I would love to go there. But I couldn't help this feeling I had that students were saying one thing (We're VERY involved in the community) and doing the opposite. Bots, I'd love to hear your opinion about this, also any JHU students who happen to read this. And please, don't rake me over the coals for expressing the one little negative feeling I got at my interview. I have no proof that this is the case, only anecdotal evidence. I would absolutely love to be proven wrong on this one!

7. Coalboy

Coalboy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Not one message or email that I have sent them have been returned - and I've been trying since like December. Totally rude. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's funny, because the two times I've e-mailed them (11/21 and 12/7), they got back to me within the day. I haven't tried since then.

8. DarkChild

DarkChild Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

just got a reply from JHU - the email equivalent of a thin letter.
    their loss.

9. bots

bots Member
    7+ Year Member

Nine-Sixteen,

I think your post was very interesting. There is a bunch of security around Hopkins (for good reason), and although there is a divide between Hopkins and the surrounding community, I think that you'll find that the potential for outreach is still there.
    Whether or not the students that are currently there participate in community service activities here is a good question. I don't know the answer to that.
    However, as a member of the Hopkins community, I can assure you that the funding and mechanisms are in place such that if anybody wants to get involved in the community, there is support for it. Regardless of what you're trying to do, you'll either find somebody that's already doing it(you can join them), or you can get somebody to support your own efforts.
    Perhaps the most compelling arguments for the potential of being invovled in the community here is the need for service, and the opportunities afforded by the curriculum. In other schools, such as Columbia or Duke, you're going to be in school all day, almost every day. If you sit from 9-5 in class, and you have to study four or five hours a night, that doesn't leave much room for anything else. At Hopkins (and at Harvard), you have the afternoons free for service, and then you can studying in the evenings or in the late afternoon. Plus, you don't have to go too far away to travel to areas that need help (for better or for worse :).

BOTS

10. E'01

E'01 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    ahh forget em Darkchild.

11. vkrn

vkrn Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I mentioned this before, but I called them during their call-in times, and they told me I got dinged over the phone.

I've actually never had a problem with their call-in times, except maybe a busy signal once in a while.

NO FEAR!

JUST DO IT!

CALL 'EM! :D

12. NSF

NSF Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey Bots, I put a post in another thread about JHU, but I don't know if you saw it.

Like you, I got into Hopkins (still can't believe it) but was waitlisted at Columbia.

Are you planning to go to JHU? I'm pretty sure I will, though I may reconsider if I get off the list at P&S. Since you're already part of the whole JHU community, I was wondering if you could tell me whether the med students there seem happy for the most part.

They certainly did on interview day, but I think it's a safe bet that the most enthusiastic students for a given school are generally the same ones who sign up to interview and/or tour applicants.

Thanks, and good luck to all.

P.S. - Almost forgot: Bots (or any other acceptees), have you heard anything about a re-visit? I haven't heard from JHU since I got their fin. aid mterials last month

13. E'01

E'01 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I called. I pressed Zero even though it's Friday. I got told - "look, did you listen to the message??" I lied. I said no. I was told call back then. Um what is my processing fee going towards when I can't even get a reply about my app status.

14. bots

bots Member
    7+ Year Member

R.A.B.--

No, I didn't see your other post; sorry. The revist day for Hopkins is April 5, according to an e-mail I received shortly after I was accepted.
    As for the students, a bunch of my friends go to Hopkins-- they're happy, but they seem to be busy, just like any other med students are. The clinical rotations I hear are particularly nice. Plus, living in Baltimore is pretty cheap, and they enjoy it. The bottom line, however, is that they have so many opportunities once they leave that it's all worth it.

BOTS

15. doepug

doepug Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hi everyone -

Congrats to those of you who've gotten into Hopkins! It's a fabulous place.

To reply to the commuunity service issue... the personality of each class seems to vary from year to year. My class ('04) is extremely community service-oriented, even in the second year! The first year class seems to be more jazzed about research. In any event, the infrastructure is definitely there in the School of Medicine for all kinds of service programs. Don't take my word for it though... check out <a href="http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/interaction" target="_blank">the InterAction website</a> to see for yourself.

I'd write more now, but I have an exam on Monday! Please feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] if anyone has any questions about Hopkins.

Cheers,

doepug
    MS II, Johns Hopkins

16. E'01

E'01 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Wow - I got through only to confirm the worst. No interview...ahh well at least I get closure and can move on with my life :)

17. cm7b5

cm7b5 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

What is the admissions email at hopkins?

18. Coalboy

Coalboy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
  19. waiting anxiously

waiting anxiously Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

any word on whether they're done sending out interview requests? have all of us that haven't heard been rejected?