What happened to Yale S.O.M

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Hulk

Official Green Monster
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDNr's,

I've been hearing rumors on the street that Yale SOM almost got their accredidation pulled this year, that they have the lowest USMLE passage rate of any major-label school and that graduates are doing poorly in getting their residency picks because the schools' rep is going downhill. Is this true? Are there any current or former Yale SOM students out there who know what is going on, or is this just a bunch of lies, falsehoods and half-truths cooked up by their rivals up in MA?

Members don't see this ad.

FYI, it's just referred to as YSM or "the Med School," because Yale SOM refers to the School of Management.

From an article in Yale Medicine, Summer 2000 http://www.med.yale.edu/external/pubs/ym_su00/match/match1.html:

According to Cynthia Andrien, assistant dean of student affairs, 90 percent of this year?s class matched at one of their first three choices, and 94 percent got one of their top five. Nationwide, about 86 percent of the more than 20,000 U.S. and foreign medical students who applied matched to one of their top three choices at 3,769 residency programs in the country.

That's summer 2000, but I don't imagine dramatic changes.

There was a threat to Yale-New Haven Hospital's surgical residency accreditation due to residents working long hours: http://www.yalealumnimagazine.com/issues/02_07/l_v.html#8

Anyone find anything else?

-RA

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by The Hulk
Hey SDNr's,

I've been hearing rumors on the street that Yale SOM almost got their accredidation pulled this year, that they have the lowest USMLE passage rate of any major-label school and that graduates are doing poorly in getting their residency picks because the schools' rep is going downhill. Is this true? Are there any current or former Yale SOM students out there who know what is going on, or is this just a bunch of lies, falsehoods and half-truths cooked up by their rivals up in MA?
The Hulk,

This has been talked about before. Recently on the "Easy" Schools thread:

http://www.studentdoctor.net/forums...9&perpage=15&highlight=yale easy&pagenumber=4

Originally posted by The Hulk
Are there any current or former Yale SOM students out there who know what is going on, or is this just a bunch of lies, falsehoods and half-truths cooked up by their rivals up in MA?

I don't think their rivals in MA have anything to worry about from Yale. I think they're too busy worrying about Hopkins inching up closer to them each year. :D ;) At least, that's what I would be doing!

I've been hearing rumors on the street that Yale SOM almost got their accredidation pulled this year, that they have the lowest USMLE passage rate of any major-label school and that graduates are doing poorly in getting their residency picks because the schools' rep is going downhill.
Is there one place on the net where we can see a list of all Med Schools and their respective USMLE passage rate? I'd like to see a direct comparison.

Does anyone know off the top of their heads if the AMA or a particular website has something like that?

Surely, we don't have to go to each individual school and look them up one by one? :confused: