Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

What Happens After Residency?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by IWant2BeADoctor, May 3, 2007.

1. IWant2BeADoctor

IWant2BeADoctor License to Matriculate

Pre-Medical
    What Happens After you finish your Residency? How does the job hunting process work?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. MirrorTodd

MirrorTodd It's a gas.
    Physician

Resident [Any Field]
    Well, it isn't another match thank God. It's pretty much like trying to find another job. Use contacts, talk to private practice groups. There are tons of opportunities out there. It's up to you to figure out what you want to do. I suppose that first step is deciding between private practice and academic medicine. Perhaps someone with more experience than me will chime in.

4. lilnoelle

Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    I've heard (residency forums) that in your last years of residency you start getting job offers flooding your mailbox. Those that don't have such luck should just have a resume that they send to different hospitals that they are interested in and go from there.

The individuals talking about this issue in the residency forums acted like its pretty easy to get a job after residency. A person would have to be pretty undesireable to not be able to find something.

5. Doctor~Detroit

Doctor~Detroit this poll sux!!!

you go to business school.

FinancingMedicine likes this.
  6. stereochemistry

stereochemistry Walking Carpet

7. sirus_virus

sirus_virus nonsense poster

Non-Student
    I think job hunting depends on specialty. If you are in a high demand specialty(derm, surgery, FM, rads etc) you will probably be heavily recruited. I have heard that pathology, neurology and PM&R involves serious job hunting though.

8. Mobius1985

Fellow [Any Field]
    Specialty journals are filled with Help Wanted ads. Every conference you go to has lists of Available Positions. A Head Hunter can be approached to find jobs in a desirable locale (employer pays the fee). You will get many mailings begging you to consider various positions. Attendings you've been working with will be keeping an eye out on behalf of past associates in the private and academic sectors looking to recruit. You will have many, many options to choose from.

9. Gut Shot

Attending Physician
    Fellowship.

Depends entirely on the specialty. Someone in, say, pulmonary-critical care can get a job practically anywhere there's an ICU. If your field is in less demand then, well, not so much. To aid in one's search there are websites, ads in journals, professional networking, headhunters, etc. After all the training we get to meet the real world.

10. njbmd

njbmd Guest
    Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician

After residency, you generally get a job as a practicing physician or go into fellowship. With most fellowships, there is a match and you go through the match the year before you finish residency. Fellowship match is quite similiar to residency match but your in-service grades, research and program evaluations count here not medical school grades. As a senior General Surgery resident, I have been flooded with job offers even though I am headed for fellowship. I generally have a good idea of where I want to eventually practice and thus I will head into that area after training is done.

11. crimsonkid85

MD/PhD Student
    i was just about to say retirement! you beat me to it! :D :D

12. Green Pirate

Green Pirate Neurotic Neuro Enthusiast

Pre-Medical
    and thanks to those nice juicey paychecks you receive during residency, you will easily be able to afford that retirement.