what happens after you're in pharm school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greatdeals225

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so.. once you're in your professional year 1, you can work as a pharmacy intern. so what happens if you were a certified technician before hand? do you still have to keep doing the CEs to keep your certification.. or would it matter?

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm.. good question. There's an intern license just like a technician license and once you have that, you're not a technician anymore. So I guess it wouldn't matter if you continue with your certification or not 'cause you're not a technician at all anymore. At least that's my understanding of it. Does anyone see it in a different way (or know for certain) that could bring more of an understanding?

It sucks but yeah your going to be an intern and you'll have to start off at intern pay. But I have heard of if you have a hook up with a company you've worked for you can keep your start off salary at the same level as your tech salary. But that's if you have that option. O yeah and in Cali interns start off at 16 dollars an hour and you get a raise of one dollar for each year you finish.

Members don't see this ad :)
yea, i heard that if you are with a company, they can't degrade you regarding your salary, but they just might not give you your raise for the following year.. but yea, it's $1/hr raise for each year you're intern.

hmm.. I guess I won't have to work as hard to get my CE's done then... coz my certification expires 1.5 years from now.. and i'll have my intern license b4 then... :oops:

Do you guys advice me then to renew my certification which expires 03/31/07? I hope to be an intern come fall this year.

I work at Walgreens and I actually called the district office about this. They told me that an Intern Position is above a Nationally Certified Pharmacy Technician position, and if you become an intern before your Tech license expires, you do not have to do continuing education. Now I have a question for you guys...for pharm techs who got accepted this year (and will matriculate starting Fall 2007) can you get an intern license now and start receiving the higher pay, or do you have to wait until you actually start your P-1 year. Because I thought I remembered someone working as an intern, the summer before they started thier first yeart in pharmacy school??

I work at Walgreens and I actually called the district office about this. They told me that an Intern Position is above a Nationally Certified Pharmacy Technician position, and if you become an intern before your Tech license expires, you do not have to do continuing education. Now I have a question for you guys...for pharm techs who got accepted this year (and will matriculate starting Fall 2007) can you get an intern license now and start receiving the higher pay, or do you have to wait until you actually start your P-1 year. Because I thought I remembered someone working as an intern, the summer before they started thier first yeart in pharmacy school??

The whole intern license and tech license laws will vary by state. I know in Oregon, you cannot have your intern license your first year in school. They told me when you work as a P1, they will hire you as an "intern" but you will officially be a tech. Forgot the details but that's the gist.

And from what I know, a tech and an interns pay is very similar in retail chains I've worked at (WAGs, CVS, etc). In CA, techs at WAGs get around $15-17/hr and the interns also get $15/hr with $1 raise every year. At hospitals like Kaiser, they pay a lot more (some close to $20/hr).

Forgot to add, I don't recall hearing any tech's renewing their licenses once they're in p-school. You will be an intern as a student, graduate, then become a pharmacist. Also, I remember most states will not allow you to work as an intern before you're actually a student. Liability issues I guess. But like I said, the laws vary from state so this might not hold true for some.

you all mentioned that it is a $1 raise for each year. so you can be an intern the entire time you're in pharmacy school? I was thinking that the intern license can be gained after P-1 but of course P-4 will be full of rotations (working for free!!! but I'm actually looking forward to rotations someday..) so there won't be time for interning that year.
I guess most people only intern for P-2 and P-3? And probably not many hours a week either.

you all mentioned that it is a $1 raise for each year. so you can be an intern the entire time you're in pharmacy school? I was thinking that the intern license can be gained after P-1 but of course P-4 will be full of rotations (working for free!!! but I'm actually looking forward to rotations someday..) so there won't be time for interning that year.
I guess most people only intern for P-2 and P-3? And probably not many hours a week either.

I don't know if it's different in different states, but in CA we usally get our Intern licenses within a month or 2 after starting school. This means that people work weekends when they can during their P1 and P2 years, but the bulk of their working hours come from the summer of P1 and P2 years...assuming a 4 yr program of course! :)

Let me ask you a different question. I received aPharmacy Technician License in IL State last month and then I registered for PTCB exam. I still have not taken the test yet. Do you guys think that PTCB is necessary at this point?

Let me ask you a different question. I received aPharmacy Technician License in IL State last month and then I registered for PTCB exam. I still have not taken the test yet. Do you guys think that PTCB is necessary at this point?

I work at target in California and got hired as a Certified Tech...Being PTCB certified got me an instant $1.50 raise over regular techs

I'm sorry I am a bit clueless on the issue, I will be entering a pharmacy program this FALL in california. Do you just apply for an internship liscence once you are in your first semester? Is it generally easy to find a part-time job as an intern and can you use these hours to fulfill the required 1500 hours for pharmacy liscensure?

I'm sorry I am a bit clueless on the issue, I will be entering a pharmacy program this FALL in california. Do you just apply for an internship liscence once you are in your first semester? Is it generally easy to find a part-time job as an intern and can you use these hours to fulfill the required 1500 hours for pharmacy liscensure?

So, at least as far as the procedure I went through....We had to take a passport photo, print out 2 copies of the internship app from the boards webpage, get LiveScan fingerprinted (around $50 I think...and NO, your technician prints can not be used), fill out the apps and drop them at our student affairs office with an application fee of $65. A pretty pricy proposition...but well worth it of course! :D

We were guided as to the steps and WHEN to apply by the student affairs people. They told us what to do and when.

As for jobs, you would imagine that pharmacy jobs may be hard to find in a pharmacy school town....but I have yet to hear of anybody in my class who wanted to work having a hard time finding a job. It is typically easier (in my experience) to get an intern job than a tech job. Of course it is MUCH easier if you are already with a company as a tech and you stay with them.

Several (most?) schools will put on job and interview fairs sometime during the year to help you learn more about companies and decide where to apply.

About a month after I got my intern license, the State Board of Pharmacy here actually wrote me a letter requesting that I mail back my technician license, as it was no longer valid.

As Homer said, in CA, it will become very clear after you're actually enrolled. Usually the school facilitates this since it requires the Dean's signature & school's stamp stating you are actually enrolled.

Most schools won't sign until you've had some basic training in pharmacy & privacy law - some make you go a whole quarter, some just a few weeks - it varies.

Yes - paid hours will fulfill the 1500 hrs required. Hours you use for a class will not. Also, hours worked in a lab will only count toward 750 of the hours required. 1500 sounds like a lot, but you'll have plenty by the time you actually apply for your license! Keep track of the hours yourself though - don't rely on your preceptor (ie - keep your pay stubs!) because you'll eventually need to have a pharmacist sign off on them.

No, don't take it, it's not worth it. Most pharmacies in the Chicago area, start P1s at $14-$15 per hour.
One thing you should know, they're thinking of adding a separate Pharmacy Intern license or status in Illinois with the new pharmacy practice act.

My schools isn't fully accredited yet (it has candidate status), will I still be able to obtain an intern liscence in the state of California?

I wanna try at least to make enough money while in school to pay off my interest rates while in school. I also have very little pharmacy experience (I have only volunteered in pharmacies) and would like the extra exposure.