what happens if an applicant dies between now and match day?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bitter9881

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did a search. Didn't find anything on this.

What happens if someone who submitted their rank list is unfortunate enough to die before match day? will they still get matched? or does that person's rank list get nullified?

I realize this represents morbid preoccupation. This is where my mind has wandered lately.

somewhat related, i heard once that the match program takes 5 minutes to match every resident in the country. then i heard somewhere else that it takes like 2 weeks. anyone know?

Members don't see this ad.

a thread in the ERAS/NRMP section has it listed at like 90 minutes (with the obligatory joke that it must be run on an 386 computer for how slow that is [anyone with oldschool comp knowledge understands the referrence]). It is apparently run 3 times. The time delay is to print out the letters and send them to the schools? All BS to me. Does it really matter though? If it takes 2 minutes or 2 weeks, still won't change when we find out...

As for your premorbid facination... that is a very intriguing thought, cause whether or not they are included in the match could make for some very, very different results if they were a highly sought after applicant at a highly competitive residency location...

As previously discussed in other threads in the general residency forum, at least in surgery, death is likely not a viable excuse for absences during residency. As such, it should also be noted that submitting your Rank Order List is a BINDING CONTRACT which supersedes even God's authority. Therefore, if an applicant dies after submitting their list, they are still required to show up for at least the first year of residency. After completion of internship, they can withdraw from medicine to the afterlife if that is their preference. :rolleyes:

Did a search. Didn't find anything on this.

What happens if someone who submitted their rank list is unfortunate enough to die before match day? will they still get matched? or does that person's rank list get nullified?

I realize this represents morbid preoccupation. This is where my mind has wandered lately.

somewhat related, i heard once that the match program takes 5 minutes to match every resident in the country. then i heard somewhere else that it takes like 2 weeks. anyone know?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's true. Most contracts contain a line wherein "acts of God" [presuming one believes the Deity indeed controls one's lifespan] are not sufficient cause to nullify a duly signed and notarized contract.

So while your frank decomposition might be a little unpleasant for your coresidents, and might perhaps engender extra work for the housekeeping department as you trail putrescent slime throughout the corridors, it's really not all that different than having a pregnant classmate, right?

It's true. Most contracts contain a line wherein "acts of God" [presuming one believes the Deity indeed controls one's lifespan] are not sufficient cause to nullify a duly signed and notarized contract.

God eh? Well turns out we know where the NRMP stands on religion. Does this offend anyone? Perhaps we should merge this thread and the religion one:rolleyes:

Seriously these responses made me chuckle out loud a little. Thanks for the boost.

...if an applicant dies after submitting their list, they are still required to show up for at least the first year of residency. After completion of internship, they can withdraw from medicine to the afterlife if that is their preference. :rolleyes:

I laughed out loud when I read that. It's little things like that that keep me going during these oh so stressful weeks of waiting.

I did not expect my thread to degenerate so quickly, but I guess I'm kinda fine with that result. Sounds like no one knows the answer, but we all share the same comedic irreverence to things match- and death-related.

God eh? Well turns out we know where the NRMP stands on religion. Does this offend anyone? Perhaps we should merge this thread and the religion one:rolleyes:

Seriously these responses made me chuckle out loud a little. Thanks for the boost.

As with AA, any references to God in the context of match/residency process should be understood by applicants/residents to mean "a higher power of my own preference be it deity, spirit, or energy."

I think the likelihood of someone dying within 3 weeks is pretty slim. Especially with the median age being around 27. Unless a surgery applicant out there went rogue and started assisinating the top students out there.

this is one of the most screwed up threads I've seen in awhile

I would assume the match would proceed as if they weren't dead, mostly because who is going to take time out of their mourning to figure out who to notify that their loved one has died. I suppose the school might, but my suspicion if that the match results are pretty much locked in that first day and the rest of the time is administrative stuff. So then there would theoretically some program that would now be short a resident. Again, the loved ones don't seem so likely to be checking the match list, but that is one thing I would think the school would figure out and then notify the program that they need to find anther resident. I suppose if the school was useless then the program would not find out until they start calling the student to welcome them/tell them when orientation is/have them sign their contract. All of which should occur long enough before the year starts for them to at least have a chance to find someone else.

Better to kill the top folks in the field you want before the ROL is due.

If you were able to get ahold of your top programs's match list prior to the match and they drew from a narrow geographic area, then assassinating your way into a position becomes viable. If your top program has residents from across the country, then financial and time restrictions would this approach impractical.

Members don't see this ad :)
So if I want to gun for GS I should smell good and have coke-bottle glasses? Do you suggest anything in the J.Lo line of fine fragrances, or should I go for the Paris Hilton? Maybe a nice musk.

this is one of the most screwed up threads I've seen in awhile

Slightly related... sorta.

We've got a 90+ yo pt on our internal med service who fell and fractured her hip. Spent a day or something like that on the floor of her home. She was ultimately found on the floor in a puddle of urine that her German Shepard sized dog decided to spray her with. As we were discussing this as a team, my attending mentioned that this is what reminds us that animals are really just animals, not our friends. I replied with "At least the dog didn't try to eat her."

They all just stared at me. This is one of many reasons why I'm going into surgery and not medicine. (ok it wasn't hilarious but still they looked at me like I was a huge morbid freak or something)

....What happens if someone who submitted their rank list is unfortunate enough to die before match day?...
If they are single without family their student loans are forgiven otherwise the deferment ends as they are not enrolled in a qualified program and their remaining family gets a big bill.:smuggrin:
....it's really not all that different than having a pregnant classmate...
Snap!

If they are single without family their student loans are forgiven otherwise the deferment ends as they are not enrolled in a qualified program and their remaining family gets a big bill

are you kidding about this, please god tell me you are

If they are single without family their student loans are forgiven otherwise the deferment ends as they are not enrolled in a qualified program and their remaining family gets a big bill

are you kidding about this, please god tell me you are

Don't worry, he's kidding. If you were to die with a massive student loan amount, then your assets would be liquididated and the proceeds would go to your creditors. As long as your parents, spouse, etc, did not cosign for your loans, then they are not stuck with a bill.

While there was some tongue and cheek in my reply....
...If you were to die with a massive student loan amount, then your assets would be liquididated and the proceeds would go to your creditors. As long as your parents, spouse, etc, did not cosign for your loans, then they are not stuck with a bill.
Exactly what assets would be liquidated... those that are probably being shared with your spouse!

The laws may vary state by state... but in general, spouse would not have to have cosigned to be held accountable. Thus, depending on particulars, he/she could potentially be held accountable. This happens all the time with all sorts of debts from credit cards, Macy's cards, car loans, home loans, etc...

Federal student loans are discharged upon death or total permanent disability of the borrower. Something to think about when you are deciding about paying off loans for one spouse before the other.

Federal student loans are discharged upon death or total permanent disability of the borrower. Something to think about when you are deciding about paying off loans for one spouse before the other.

Ok I am going to dig out my file with all the loan stuff and look it up. Honest to god having my family get financially destroyed by my student loans if I die is a huge fear of mine. Previous to JAD comment my understanding was the same as your quote

Generally, if a spouse has not cosigned your student loans, then they are not personally liable after your death. In the case of private student loans (not federally backed), in the event of a death, joint assets are up for grabs, so if you have a car in both names, then your spouse will either have to give up the car, or pay the debt in order to keep the car (same applies to a house, depending on state). Your family (i.e. parents, siblings) will generally never have to pay because it is unlikely for people to share assets with such relatives. I personally have explicitly told my spouse to NOT pay my loans if I die because we don't have any assets (except an old used car, which can easily be replaced).

According to http://www2.ed.gov/offices/OSFAP/DCS/loan.cancellation.discharge.html, federally backed student loans are forgiven upon death of the borrower, apparently without such an above scenario.

While there was some tongue and cheek in my reply....Exactly what assets would be liquidated... those that are probably being shared with your spouse!

The laws may vary state by state... but in general, spouse would not have to have cosigned to be held accountable. Thus, depending on particulars, he/she could potentially be held accountable. This happens all the time with all sorts of debts from credit cards, Macy's cards, car loans, home loans, etc...

(My apologies, I didn't see this before my previous post)

Exactly.

Thus, they'll have to either give up the house or pay the bill.

Fortunately, if you buy life insurance, then they can use the proceeds from the life insurance to pay for the debt if they want to keep the house. And term life at a young age is cheap.