What happens if I change my mind about couples match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DragonSalad

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Considering couples matching with my SO, different specialties, both competitive. I would say it's 50/50 at this point. As we've started to get interviews at this point, we were considering emailing programs that the other person got an invite to, to see if we could both interview at programs of shared interest. However, what would happen if we decide not to couples match in the end? Would this look bad to programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Considering couples matching with my SO, different specialties, both competitive. I would say it's 50/50 at this point. As we've started to get interviews at this point, we were considering emailing programs that the other person got an invite to, to see if we could both interview at programs of shared interest. However, what would happen if we decide not to couples match in the end? Would this look bad to programs?
Programs don't know your couples match outcome.

Well I wonder if they would think we tried to game the system to get more interviews?

E.g. what if they give me an interview because my SO got one. Then we don't couples match, and I rank that program #1, she ranks it #3. I match there, she doesn't. If she was also ranked to match wouldn't they be like what just happened?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I wonder if they would think we tried to game the system to get more interviews?

E.g. what if they give me an interview because my SO got one. Then we don't couples match, and I rank that program #1, she ranks it #3. I match there, she doesn't. If she was also ranked to match wouldn't they be like what just happened?
At that point it doesn't matter and honestly who cares. As long as you don't lie and say before match "We are still couples matching and you are our #1" then you are fine. People uncouple all the time and it doesn't matter nor should you need to (or be required to) inform any of the programs if that becomes the case. Especially applying different specialties, they probably just won't care.

You said you and her are going into separate specialties, so they are separate programs, which will not know the outcome for the other partner.

You said you and her are going into separate specialties, so they are separate programs, which will not know the outcome for the other partner.

Yes not immediately at match day perhaps, but surely I would have some explaining to do if I go there without my SO?

Yes not immediately at match day perhaps, but surely I would have some explaining to do if I go there without my SO?
Stuff happens man and a program director is not going press you about your ex-relationship details if you don't want to talk about it. "We broke up." Take the awkward silence and move on.

Reactions: 1 user