What happens if I don't get accepted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tobedomd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN,

I'm an Army ROTC cadet applying to medical school this June. I have a 3.68 GPA (3.74 sciences) and am yet to receive my MCAT score. I've asked many people the "what if" question about acceptance and have received mixed answers.

What will happen to me if I am granted an educational delay during Fall assessions yet don't end up getting accepted into med school (or DO) that academic year? Will I be able to apply for an ed-delay and med school again or will I be branched according to the needs of the army? I'd like to hear how military doctors commissioned via ROTC got to where they are.

I've been told that I could be branched med service corps, then apply for an ed delay immediately- no problem, that I could be granted an ed delay again- no branching required, and that I could serve a four year term then be granted an ed delay. The latter is the least attractive option but as long as I become a doctor that's fine.

Thank you,

WW

Members don't see this ad.

You'll probably have better luck over in the military medicine section of the forum. Not sure how many of the docs there went through ROTC though.

Hello SDN,

I'm an Army ROTC cadet applying to medical school this June. I have a 3.68 GPA (3.74 sciences) and am yet to receive my MCAT score. I've asked many people the "what if" question about acceptance and have received mixed answers.

What will happen to me if I am granted an educational delay during Fall assessions yet don't end up getting accepted into med school (or DO) that academic year? Will I be able to apply for an ed-delay and med school again or will I be branched according to the needs of the army? I'd like to hear how military doctors commissioned via ROTC got to where they are.

I've been told that I could be branched med service corps, then apply for an ed delay immediately- no problem, that I could be granted an ed delay again- no branching required, and that I could serve a four year term then be granted an ed delay. The latter is the least attractive option but as long as I become a doctor that's fine.

Thank you,

WW

If you fail to gain acceptance you'll branch based off of the OML like every other cadet. You can apply again next year and request a new Ed delay at that time. I'm also an ROTC cadet applying in 2015. Good luck!