What happens if i major pre-pharm?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yoora

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im a highschool senior and im planning to apply for university of florida.
in a major selection, there was pre-pharm and chemistry which i came up with struggle to choose between.
if i choose pre-pharm as major, does that mean im not getting barchelor's degree since there's no such thing as pre pharm degree? does that mean i will be applying to pharmacy school without any degree?because before i found out that there was pre-pharmacy major, i was planning to choose chemistry as my major in case i don't get accepted to pharmacy school. also, is pre-pharm harder than chemistry major? please give me some suggestions..

Members don't see this ad.

I'd do chem. With a prepharm major, you can't do ANYTHING /but/ pharmacy after graduating - and who knows what you want to do a few years from now. With a different major, there are many more opportunities available to you.

I never understood the point of a pre-anything major, to be honest.

I'd do chem. With a prepharm major, you can't do ANYTHING /but/ pharmacy after graduating - and who knows what you want to do a few years from now. With a different major, there are many more opportunities available to you.

I never understood the point of a pre-anything major, to be honest.

Plus I think the courses for both majors are pretty much the same.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Im a highschool senior and im planning to apply for university of florida.
in a major selection, there was pre-pharm and chemistry which i came up with struggle to choose between.
if i choose pre-pharm as major, does that mean im not getting barchelor's degree since there's no such thing as pre pharm degree? does that mean i will be applying to pharmacy school without any degree?because before i found out that there was pre-pharmacy major, i was planning to choose chemistry as my major in case i don't get accepted to pharmacy school. also, is pre-pharm harder than chemistry major? please give me some suggestions..

The important thing to remember is that you should be taking the same classes, it's just how you fill out your electives. You should major in chemistry or biology with a pre-pharm emphasis so just make sure your electives count towards the pre-reqs for pharmacy schools or will benefit you while in pharmacy school. I graduated in 2001 with my degree in chemistry, and was 4 classes short of meeting pharmacy school pre-reqs at Sullivan. I just finished up my pre-reqs in September as I had to take A&P, Microbiology, Statistics, and Public Speaking.

OP, if you want to be a pharmacist, it doesn't matter what you major in as long as you get your prereqs done. You do not have to be prepharm, and you do not even have to be a chemistry major. It's good you're thinking of a backup plan in case you don't get into pharmacy school. Be sure you have a clear idea what that backup is, and if you will accept my advice (which I will give anyway whether you accept it or not), pursue that backup just as strongly as you pursue pharmacy.

And please do not choose a major just because you think it's "easy."

I'm technically classified as a pre-pharm major....if I wouldn't have been accepted this year, I would have had to add another semester to another year to graduate with a biology degree. I would go with the chem, and if you get accepted before you finish your degree, go you.;)

OP, if you want to only do the pre-reqs, then when you finally start attending classes, you need to do the following:

• Figure out what courses you must complete within 2 years to attend pharmacy school in your third year.
  • Figure out where each course should fit in your schedule.
All of these courses will probably fall under the Chem major heading. Once you get in, you might have advisors screaming that you need to do other coursework first on their normal bachelors track. Stand strong and show them that these are the courses you want to have done in that time frame.

Otherwise, just do a full 4 years of undergrad and squeeze in the odd pre-req as needed (that's not already part of your degree plan).

OP, if you want to be a pharmacist, it doesn't matter what you major in as long as you get your prereqs done. You do not have to be prepharm, and you do not even have to be a chemistry major. It's good you're thinking of a backup plan in case you don't get into pharmacy school. Be sure you have a clear idea what that backup is, and if you will accept my advice (which I will give anyway whether you accept it or not), pursue that backup just as strongly as you pursue pharmacy.

And please do not choose a major just because you think it's "easy."

He is right. You can do any major as long as you meet the pre-reqs.