napoleondynamite

Keepin' it real yo
10+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Not that I am planning on failing, I realize the pass-rate is quite high. However, what would happen if a resident failed the radbio/physics boards? Would you have to wait another year to re-take them? Would this mean you could not sit for the written clinicals a year later? If so, I imagine this would really impact your ability to find a job..

Anyway, just curious as I have never heard of or personally witnessed this scenario.

OP
napoleondynamite

napoleondynamite

Keepin' it real yo
10+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Huh, I guess that's better than being offset by a year..but man would that suck to have to study for both the written clinical and the physics/radbio at the same time!

Thanks Gfunk.

Last edited:

stlo

Rad Onc Resident
Feb 16, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I have heard that they offer a re-take in January, or at least they may have in the past; I only know of one person who failed, and that was second-hand information. But the point being that you don't necessarily get thrown off for a whole year.

CNphair

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2005
Status
If you fail one or both, you re-take them the following year along with your clinical written boards. If you pass them on the re-take you can still mantain board eligibility.
You can actually request permission from the ABR to retake the exam in January. Then you remain on cycle for your clinical boards in the summer. I know of 2 people who did this, passed and moved on to the next step.

medgator

10+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Huh, I guess that's better than being offset by a year..but man would that suck to have to study for both the written clinical and the physics/radbio at the same time!

Thanks Gfunk.

If you talk to the old-timers, that's how they used to do it :D

nod

Nod
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
speaking of which, has anyone registered for the physics/bio exams this year yet? i don't want to miss the exam, and it seems kind of late already in the year...

SimulD

15+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2001
Alexandria, VA
Visit site
Status
Dude, the board is awful with the timing of this kind of stuff. Just make sure you are all paid up. It will come not too far away from the date of the teset.
S

shogun0660

10+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
speaking of which, has anyone registered for the physics/bio exams this year yet? i don't want to miss the exam, and it seems kind of late already in the year...
As long as you've made at least one dues payment prior to the end of september 2010, as far as I understand it, you are "registered" for the exam. I waited right up until before the deadline to pay mine, and I (and my program coordinator) received weekly emails reminding me to pay it in order to be eligible for the exam.
If you haven't paid them by now, get ready to pay a nice 3-400 dollar late fee. Simul knows all about that +pity+

shogun0660

10+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
#$%[email protected]!

I have only paid once - during my first year. Did not know about the late fee..nice:eek:
ND, I am fairly certain you are fine then. I think, at a minimum, you have to pay at least once before the september deadline of your PGY-4 year.
I did the opposite of you, and only paid once, but this year.
That is probably why you did not get any reminder emails.
Sorry for the confusion.
If you call the ABR, they can probably confirm.