What happens if you have a PharmD, are 200k+ in debt, and not licensed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You don’t need a residency to work in retail. It’s just another version of cheap labor.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You don’t need a residency to work in retail. It’s just another version of cheap labor.

What we’re saying is it is going to be mandatory. In the future.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
like I said... 2-3 years education and you can do the job, just like that tech did in cali. Now you are going to add residency, the education system wasnt like this back then, but okay

I agree with you. But the reality is things are trending that way. How else do you think the market will deal with the diploma mills pumping out excess grads?

Reactions: 1 users
Walgreens already has a pgy-1 community pharmacy program with my former pharmacy school.....they tout is as a "clinical" track to perform non traditional roles with the company. From what I hear, the kids that completed the residency only got an expectation to become a PIC at a troubled store as soon as they finished. In a few years, watch that be the only way you can get a job in a major metro with them out of school.

Did any of them apply for hospital clinical positions that required PGY-1? I wonder what the recruiters thought when they came across their resumes lol.

“Cheap labor” is a relative term and is going to be antiquated real fast. When residents are paid an average of $50k while you’ve got PICs being hired on for $21-35hr ($40-70k), a residency stipend all of a sudden doesn’t look too bad anymore, does it?

“Cheap labor” is a relative term and is going to be antiquated real fast. When residents are paid an average of $50k while you’ve got PICs being hired on for $21-35hr ($40-70k), a residency stipend all of a sudden doesn’t look too bad anymore, does it?

When PICs make $21-35/hr then residents will make like $15/hr.

Reactions: 1 users
When PICs make $21-35/hr then residents will make like $15/hr.
Residencies will become the new paid internships.

Paid internships will become the new volunteer positions.

Volunteer positions will become... no longer available.

And while opportunities downsize, credentials needed upsize. This profession was never on any solid footing to begin with.

And while opportunities downsize, credentials needed upsize. This profession was never on any solid footing to begin with.
volunteer positions will be you like school teaching position, you pay them for residency :D

At Walmart interns are allowed to do so little that they are essentially techs who can counsel and take phone orders. I don't know if they're really learning anything anyway that they wouldn't have learned if they worked for 6 months as a tech before pharmacy school.

At Walmart interns are allowed to do so little that they are essentially techs who can counsel and take phone orders. I don't know if they're really learning anything anyway that they wouldn't have learned if they worked for 6 months as a tech before pharmacy school.

What else would you want them to do?

Mods, please do not move this to the hidden forum. I am NOT discussing the pharmacy job market since this group is not even eligible to enter its workforce.

As the title says, what happens if you have a PharmD, 200k+ nondischargeable student loan debt, and can't pass the boards? A large percentage of graduates from diploma mills like Chapman and CSHU did not pass the NAPLEX. What are they going to do, how will they survive?
Hello. Good question. I have recently graduated from a pharmD program and have not yet signed up for the boards. I am on EBT collecting $191 a month while living at my parents house and making zero payments on my debt. ~15,000 new grads a year.

Hello. Good question. I have recently graduated from a pharmD program and have not yet signed up for the boards. I am on EBT collecting $191 a month while living at my parents house and making zero payments on my debt. ~15,000 new grads a year.

You're allowed to collect EBT after borrowing student loans?

This sounds like every other profession out there. Fashion merchandising comes to mind.

What kind of family reasons would prevent someone from *ever* taking their boards??? That makes no sense, they probably flunked and just didn't want to tell you.

This is also a possibility, but IIRC she said she had a baby so she postponed her career to care for the baby, then by the time she was ready to take the boards additional classes were required or something; it had been so long that she just decided to be a tech. Of course, this must have been in the late 80s when pharmacy was a 5 year undergrad degree and tuition wasn't out of control.

This is also a possibility, but IIRC she said she had a baby so she postponed her career to care for the baby, then by the time she was ready to take the boards additional classes were required or something; it had been so long that she just decided to be a tech. Of course, this must have been in the late 80s when pharmacy was a 5 year undergrad degree and tuition wasn't out of control.

Still bizarre. I mean a 1 day test hardly precludes someone from having a baby. And she still could have post-poned her career. I find it hard to believe that anyone smart enough to graduate pharmacy school (at least back when admission standards were higher) would think it's a good idea to delay the licensing exam for years.