What happens if you list two majors, BUT....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moto_za

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the AMCAS application, if you mention two majors, but for some reason won't be able to complete both, what will happen? I currently have two majors, but not sure if I will be able to complete both by the end of next year before I (hopefully) start med school. I have already completed 18 units from the 2nd major and have about four classes left. What should I do? Just list it as a minor and be safe or take the risk and list it as a double major? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, be honest with yourself. If you seriously doubt you will be able to finish the major, then save yourself the trouble and don't list it. If you have about (4 classes x 3 credit hrs.=12 credit hrs.) twelve credit hours to fit into two semesters and it is realistic when you plan out your schedule, then I'd say go for it. Really, though, it's only two semesters your planning out. You should know if it is going to happen. :thumbup:

In the AMCAS application, if you mention two majors, but for some reason won't be able to complete both, what will happen? I currently have two majors, but not sure if I will be able to complete both by the end of next year before I (hopefully) start med school. I have already completed 18 units from the 2nd major and have about four classes left. What should I do? Just list it as a minor and be safe or take the risk and list it as a double major? Thank you!

If you think you will complete it, put both. Consult your pre-med adviser for the best info, but personally if I had any doubt at all I wouldn't put it. I wouldn't risk looking like I couldn't complete something I had committed to, and if I ended up with it then I'd bring it up in interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
It shouldn't be too hard to split up 12 credit hours into two semesters if you don't have much else, though. If it really ends up being a problem, you could just take a summer term or something before medical school starts.. :hungover:

if you probably cant do it, dont list it. no one really cares if you do 1 or 2 majors... just like no one really cares if you do engineering or psych.

i would not do it

hey, i'm actually in the same situation. but because my transcript says i'm doubling, i just listed that i'm doing double.. and then if i end up turning one into a minor, i'm just gonna update them later on. my advisor said not to change it right now even if i predict changes just cuz it might complicate things in terms of verification of the app. u can always easily update them later on. hope this helps. but if ur majors r NOT listed on the transcript.. then i guess u shouldnt' list both if u know ur not doing that?

Your decision should be to list one and maybe finish the other, or list two and be determined to finish the other no matter what happens.

Contrary to what most people say on here, I believe my double major helped me a lot in the application process. That's one thing to consider.

if you probably cant do it, dont list it. no one really cares if you do 1 or 2 majors... just like no one really cares if you do engineering or psych.

:thumbup: Ad coms don't really give a hoot as to how many majors you've got AND what your major was. As long as you got the GPA, you're good. If you don't have the GPA and that's because of the fact that you had two majors, tough luck but ad coms are harsh and still wouldn't care that much.

Regardless of how much weight adcoms put on it, which I agree is very little at all, what you major in says a lot about you, and it is an accomplishment. If you think you can do it, then put it on.