What happens if you take sometime off from practicing medicine?

JakeSill

5+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2013
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hypothetically, you take years off as an attending, perhaps to raise a child. Will you be able to come back and practice medicine?

Hkhan

Membership Revoked
Removed
Jun 29, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Hypothetically, you take years off as an attending, perhaps to raise a child. Will you be able to come back and practice medicine?
This is quite common among female docs, so the answer is yes.
However, I have heard that studying for your recert exams (if you take that long of a hiatus) can be more difficult than if you had been practicing during the 10 years, however a break is definitely possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12glaucoma34

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Aug 1, 2017
Status
Medical Student
I know a doctor that took two years off to get his MBA, jumped right back into practice without any problem.

PlutoBoy

Sic transit gloria mundi
Removed
7+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2009
You can. It may be easier if you run your own practice. A lot of hospital systems will require a period of close observation to grant you full privileges (beyond the usual FPPE/OPPE) if you have been out of practice for a significant amount of time. Regardless, it can be done.