1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

What happens on may 15?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by eve76, Apr 16, 2004.

1. eve76

eve76 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

If you are holding an acceptance as of May 15th, but are still waitlisted at other schools, do you automatically get taken off the waitlists when your acceptance becomes "firm"? Or are you still considered for a spot off the waitlist even if you've accepted somewhere else?
    Thanks,
    eve

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jlee9531

jlee9531 J,A,S
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    on may 15th...you must commit to a school assuming you have acceptances. now committing to one school does NOT mean that you get taken off of waitlists. you can still be considered for the schools you are waitlisted at. If one of those WL schools decides to take you off their WL and offer you an acceptance then you will have to decide soon. The school may give you 2 weeks, however, the school you are already committed to will find out about the acceptance and will call you to ask for you decision almost immediately. im not sure about this but the school you chose on 5/15 may only give you 48 hours or something like that to make a decision or risk being taken off their list.

4. exmike

exmike NOR * CAL
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Do you think this means we have to withdraw ON may 15th? Can I send out withdrawl letters that day or do I have to get them there by that day? I have a feeling I'll need until the last day to decide. :(

5. jlee9531

jlee9531 J,A,S
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    haha damn you and your questions mike...i never actually thought about that. but a way to cheat the system perhaps is to email those schools on May 15th about your decision and you can call them as well and let them know you emailed your withdrawal letter via email. and if they still require a written letter you can send it after that date because they already have an email that says you are going to withdraw...and they just want a hard copy of it with your signature.

6. Jalby

Jalby I fight crime at day when Batman are sleeping.
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Nothing really happens on May 15th. It's nice of people to send in the letters, and schools start checking if people are holding more than one acceptance. Starting in June or so they start telling people that you need to decide in X days or we will decide for you.

Also, people don't really start to get off the waitlists until about may 23rd or so, due to the lag time in people withdrawing, so I wouldn't put to much hope on that specific date. Most people get off the waitlist in June, with a lot less getting off in July.

7. Willamette

Willamette Good with a bo-staff
    7+ Year Member

On May 15th, my taxes will be one month late! :laugh:

8. littledoc2be

littledoc2be Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

the nice and unselfish thing to do is to withdraw from the schools you don't wish to attend as early as possible, so that other people who really do want to go to that school have a shot. Imagine your top choice putting you on the waiting list, and you could have been admitted but this one guy was too lazy to send in his withdrawal.

Just asking you to keep other people in mind :)

9. jlee9531

jlee9531 J,A,S
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    even if you dont withdraw....the school will drop you if you end up selecting another school. the student that was waiting will still get in if they are at the top of the WL.

but yeah. of course its a nice thing to do. :)

10. Lochmoor

Lochmoor Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Do many schools have a rolling policy for accepting people off the waitlist. Meaning if today someone declines accept, then same day one is pulled off the wl? This makes sense if the school has an exact ranked list, ex. Univ. of Iowa. But if it's unranked or in tiers, how does it work?

If you look at the 2003 watlist assist. thread, many of the accepts are from May 15th on. I think adcoms wait til early/mid may to meet again to decide on who and how many to begin accepting from the wl. So how much of difference does it really make if people decline acceptances now vs. just before May 15?

11. littledoc2be

littledoc2be Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

it is never a good idea to procrastinate. plus you never know what an adcom actually does. everys chool is different and every situation is different. If a school seems to be getting a lot of withdrawals at a time, maybe they will start accpeting epople off the waitlist before may 15. you never know.

but why wait to withdraw if you know you are definitely not going to that school anyway?

12. Lochmoor

Lochmoor Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Quite true littledoc2be. I was just throwing out a few questions that I have been wondering about to try to get more insight into the process.

I was only offered 1 accept which I am holding and will most likely attend.