What happens to applicants who don't adhere to gap year plans?

Gladiolus23

5+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2013
Status
Can schools rescind an acceptance if an applicant doesn't follow through with their gap year plans? For example, if someone leaves a top research position or fellowship in the middle, will this be asked about during IIs? Will it become an issue after an acceptance is given in October? and do we still need to notify the school?

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
No. We look at what you do and how well you did, not your promises.

And more importantly, you don't earn an acceptance because you say you're doing something cool during a gap year. We already know that talk is cheap.

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Can schools rescind an acceptance if an applicant doesn't follow through with their gap year plans? For example, if someone leaves a top research position or fellowship in the middle, will this be asked about during IIs? Will it become an issue after an acceptance is given in October? and do we still need to notify the school?
The only issue that would typically come up if you were in a academic program during gap year, your acceptance agreement is likely to have a clause about having to complete current academic work satisfactorily including being awarded a degree.

Reactions: Doctor-S

starspells

Membership Revoked
Removed
Dec 28, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Most schools probably won't care but I have heard of Tulane following up with Americorps assignments. It makes sense due to their huge emphasis on community service.

redferrari

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
2+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Technically they can. I believe all of my acceptance letters came with wording that said something along the lines of me being responsible for providing additional material if it is asked.

In reality, its extra work for the admissions office, and they're unlikely to check. When they extend an offer, they're extending an offer to you because of what you've demonstrated that you're capable of. Words are worth as much as the Xerox paper they're printed on.

The schools know that many people will say anything given the vulnerability a medical school applicant is facing, so they'll go off of something you can't lie about.

GrumpyGus

2+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2016
Status
Medical Student
I think they murder you, but don't quote me on that.

GrumpyGus

2+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Most schools probably won't care but I have heard of Tulane following up with Americorps assignments. It makes sense due to their huge emphasis on community service.
Well that and they specifically ask for AmeriCorps on their app. Makes sense.

TheOneAndOnlyJamesFranco

5+ Year Member
Nov 29, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
The only issue that would typically come up if you were in a academic program during gap year, your acceptance agreement is likely to have a clause about having to complete current academic work satisfactorily including being awarded a degree.
If I say I'm "pursuing a Master degree" in somethings not related to a biomedical science or public health, and don't finish it by matric is that okay?

I start classes this fall and am unsure if I'll be able to finish so I thought pursuing would be okay! It's also something that I had talked to the program about finishing it long term if I'm not in the area through independent study, etc....

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Feb 26, 2016
Status
Medical Student
You don't have to notify schools of anything unless you got convicted. If they ask in your interview, I would lie if the truth is you stayed home and played xbox for the past 6 months, but if you did something else meaningful, e.g. dropped masters program to pursue startup company, obviously include it. Meaningful can also mean things meaningful to you, like traveling or going back home to spend the last few weeks with your sick relative, pursuing passions like being a writer/artist, whatever floats your boat.

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
If I say I'm "pursuing a Master degree" in somethings not related to a biomedical science or public health, and don't finish it by matric is that okay?

I start classes this fall and am unsure if I'll be able to finish so I thought pursuing would be okay! It's also something that I had talked to the program about finishing it long term if I'm not in the area through independent study, etc....
Course of study is irrelevant. Some schools still have a broad acceptance requirement that they enforce that all academic pursuits must be successfully completed by matriculation into medical school class. It would behoove you to contact the schools or research their student handbooks to see if you can find the policy on this. Let me also add that you may be required to show evidence of completion. There have been infrequent occasions where some acceptees have been forced to defer where they have completed the work for another academic program but it is not reflected in official transcripts by matriculation date.