UltraTooth

7+ Year Member
May 30, 2009
Imboden, AR
Status
Dentist
I can get into a Caribbean Medical School, but I am not so sure that I can manage to graduate with stellar grades or test scores. I keep hearing that such graduates do not get matched to US residencies.

Which begs the question -- where WOULD I obtain a residency? If not in the USA, then what countries are open to CMS graduates?

T

torontopharm

Canada is but only if you're a Canadian citizen. However, the chances of matching is ~15-20% for Carib graduates.
Not sure about other countries.

EthylMethylMan

7+ Year Member
May 19, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
You're right: people who go Caribbean tend to do worse on exams, especially Step 1. It's a combination of factors, namely the students not doing stellar in undergrad and the institutions providing minimal support to said students. The Caribbean grads that match are the ones who kick it into high gear and crush Step 1. You need to be certain that your subpar performance in undergrad was a fluke, or simply due to you not trying; it takes a very determined and capable student to do well in the Caribbean, and even then, the chances of matching into a competitive residency are quite low.

Reactions: Skip Intro

the argus

2+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2015
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
The Caribbean grads that match are the ones who kick it into high gear and crush Step 1.
This is not correct. Matched Caribbean grads have lower step scores than matched USMDs in basically every specialty. At a particular program a Carib likely has to outscore a USMD to be considered, but overall per specialty Caribs have lower step scores.

You are correct though that the more competitive specialties are difficult to match into from the Caribbean.

Reactions: sso_blasted87

Skip Intro

15+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2002
Status
Attending Physician
Matched Caribbean grads have lower step scores than matched USMDs in basically every specialty.
I think this is primarily because the programs that the majority of the graduates match into are never entertained by US graduates for a variety of reasons (crappy geography, community-based, etc.). In essence, the program's filling the spot is paramount to Step score.

What's the old saying... Lies, damned lies, and statistics. There's data, and then there's a reason.

-Skip

the argus

2+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2015
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I think this is primarily because the programs that the majority of the graduates match into are never entertained by US graduates for a variety of reasons (crappy geography, community-based, etc.). In essence, the program's filling the spot is paramount to Step score.

What's the old saying... Lies, damned lies, and statistics. There's data, and then there's a reason.

-Skip
I agree completely. Doesn't change the fact that the pervasive idea on SDN that caribbean grads have to "kick it into high gear and crush Step 1" to match is completely false. If a caribbean grad wants to match in a more competitive specialty or better program in primary care, then yes, they will likely have to outscore the USMDs they are competing with for that spot.

But to the OPs question, you don't need to have stellar board scores to match out of the caribbean. In fact, most people don't. You are just likely to match at a primary care community program that USMDs are not interested in. You can get a great education at most of these programs and they still lead to becoming a fully-licensed physician.

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Goro

the argus

2+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2015
Status
Fellow [Any Field]

NWS

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2007
Status
Canada is but only if you're a Canadian citizen. However, the chances of matching is ~15-20% for Carib graduates.
Not sure about other countries.
Caribbean grads match at around 45%+, not 15-20%.

T

torontopharm

Oh right, my fault for not seeing you were referring to Canada. I stand corrected.
No worries :) I mean, my knowledge literally doesn't extend beyond the file i attached. Since quite a few of my friends are taking the Carib route, i'd hope for nothing but success for them.